• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Psychiatrists and "mandated reporting" in Australia?

That is some bullshit. Im from Canada and im pretty sure that wouldnt fly here. My brother is a lawyer and i think ill ask him later if this shit is legal
If you are referring to my post;
I actually had the same (decent) lawyer from the original case that put me on probation in the first place. He's the one who told me that the provider outright violated HIPAA. I did two years in prison for that violation, it's awfully hard to fight a lawsuit from inside otherwise I would have. I also spent up all my money trying to get my freedom back, at that time I had very little concern for that asshole counselor.

When I went back to his office and asked to see all of my consent paperwork so I could revoke it, he called my probation officer again (after everything had been specifically and legally revoked) and told her what happened using double negatives like a 1930's mobster. "He didn't not, not, come in here, and he may or may not have, allegedly, pissed dirty for something that was not drug W, X, Y, but I can't say anything about drug Z."

Now when I need to talk or vent, I talk to my best friend who I know for a fact will not snitch on me under any circumstances, or strangers online under an "anonymous" account. Even then, I'm acutely aware that the police can pull up deleted messages and used them against me later if they want.

According to my lawyer brother that would most likely be a violation of your rights. The only reason they would have to tell your employer about your drug use would be if you where doing a job where you couldnt be intoxicated for safety reasons such as driving a truck or something. So if thats not the case they have no right to tell them

Long story short, I recently had an appointment with a psychiatrist following an unfortunate incident 2 months ago.

All was well during the initial consultation, then at the end of the hour, the guy states that he is going to report my substance use (currently cannabis and nothing else), to my workplace.

Obviously this would be a breach of doctor patient confidentiality, right? There's no legal need to report anything unless a person is in danger.

My question is; do psychiatrists actually do this sort of thing or is he trying to fuck with me?
I once went to a private hospital in Sydney for opioid detox on the back of a CPTSD diagnosis. Psychiatrist there reported me to AHPRA. I felt so betrayed.

I once went to a private hospital in Sydney for opioid detox on the back of a CPTSD diagnosis. Psychiatrist there reported me to AHPRA. I felt so betrayed.
Sorry that happened. Any idea why they would report a patient to a health agency? On what basis?

Long story short, I recently had an appointment with a psychiatrist following an unfortunate incident 2 months ago.

All was well during the initial consultation, then at the end of the hour, the guy states that he is going to report my substance use (currently cannabis and nothing else), to my workplace.

Obviously this would be a breach of doctor patient confidentiality, right? There's no legal need to report anything unless a person is in danger.

My question is; do psychiatrists actually do this sort of thing or is he trying to fuck with me?
First of all, I am an American and I think I heard this type of thing before in Australia. I am in America and unless a person is a danger to to others or is really suicidal, they can't report shit like that.
I wouldn't go to a shrink, but if they did that to me and got me fired, I would not admit to what I would want to do. I am a Christian but the temptation to really go after them would be there, however I can control my rage, but what if I were psychotic? And that is one of the many reasons shrinks cannot report shit like smoking weed. They would die if they ruined the wrong person's job over here. I would never encourage and I think that sort of thing is awful, but the fact is you don't fuck with a person's job like that.

My general practioner thought It was fine and he said ok because it is legal in the state I live in and has benefits. He basically encouraged it to a point.

There are people who would kill them, stalk them and go after them over here.

That is bullshit and completely undermines the the trust and confidentiality between a therapist and a patient. I would never be honest with a shrink and then you have destroyed the confidence of the patient and the trust is now gone.

I get the whole reporting someone who is plotting murder or is genuinely suicidal( in Canada they would be probably try to help with a patient committing suicide) but in a sane environment, they would have to and probably have a person committed.

But smoking pot? I would probably seek vengeance if it were not for my beliefs.
How can there be any real help, if the shrink is going to tattle on you and fuck up your life?

How can there be any real help when so many are going to lie, leave out stuff, and not have any level of trust in them?
That completely undermines the doctor patient relationship and no real therapy can take place if they are being bullshitted by every other patient.

Look into what the laws in your country are. Here you could sue them for millions and probably get a fat out of court settlement, but I am not sure in Australia.

Did they change the laws in your country? Because what you said is what I know to be true here in America. They could possibly lose their license for shit like that here. Definitely a hugh lawsuit. Definitely illegal over here.

That could only make your life worse. What if you lost your job, family, and home. Because they tattled on you for pot. That wouldn't fly here. Because they would probably die on a regular basis( physiatrists as a whole) and it is illegal and and they would loose everything they worked for and possibly their life.

No, I am not encouraging violence, I am merely explaining what could happen in America. Also giving another reason why it is illegal here.
Violence and vengeance are wrong.

Last edited:
According to my lawyer brother that would most likely be a violation of your rights. The only reason they would have to tell your employer about your drug use would be if you where doing a job where you couldnt be intoxicated for safety reasons such as driving a truck or something. So if thats not the case they have no right to tell them
For once you and I are in total agreement.

A psychiatrist won't break their oath, risk their career, do something highly unethical and assume the position of law enforcer because someone smokes weed.

Sorry that happened. Any idea why they would report a patient to a health agency? On what basis?
APHRA is the governing body of Allied Health. So if you are an Allied Health professional there are strict procedures.

If anybody's wondering, I went and got a prescription for medical marijuana and now me and the psych are getting along much better.

APHRA is the governing body of Allied Health. So if you are an Allied Health professional there are strict procedures.
And there's also a strict procedure called the hypocratic oath. I was an educator, which means I had zero role with patients. My job was to train staff

And there's also a strict procedure called the hypocratic oath. I was an educator, which means I had zero role with patients. My job was to train staff
Ok, so can you sue. If Australia is like America in that way, you would have a case. However, that unfortunate incident might be used to justify it, if their was violence involved and they can can make some ridiculous arguement, that weed can make you a threat to others, LMAO( Not at you)

Jnowhere maybe I could sue, but that would mean risking my addiction history becoming public. Same as a complaint to HCCC. All parties involved would get a copy of my complaint. This could be something they could use against me. Find out my current employer and send a copy of the complaint to them. I can't risk that.

Tell that Cunt to fuck right off immediately and get a new doctor.

Better still do something to get him in serious trouble.

Fucking Prick.