• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Op-Ed Psychedelics for Depression: Can They Work Without Hallucinations?

thegreenhand

Administrator
Staff member

Psychedelics for Depression: Can They Work Without Hallucinations?

Dana G. Smith
New York Times
15 Jul 2022

Excerpt:
Nick Fernandez was in hell — one filled with fire and skulls and the long-legged elephants from a Salvador Dalí painting. A spirit had guided him there after his funeral; other stops on their journey included Grand Central Terminal, the top of the Empire State Building and the sewers flowing beneath New York City. Their final destination was a cave where Mr. Fernandez encountered his own body, hung up on a clothes hanger. By examining his body in this way, he was able to come to peace with all that it had been through and accept it as his own.
Whether hallucinations like the ones Mr. Fernandez experienced are key to psychedelics’ effectiveness is now a question of great debate among researchers. The answer could determine whether millions of people receive much-needed treatment, and it could provide new insight into how mental health disorders are treated going forward.

Absolutely, there are lots of psychedelics without extravagant visual distortion that can still have a similarly-profound introspective effect. 2C-I being the best example I can think of.

i wonder if visual hallucinations might actually be an obstacle for some patients.. I'm particularly thinking of trauma patients 'reliving' things, that probably is not optimal for their condition

i wonder if visual hallucinations might actually be an obstacle for some patients.. I'm particularly thinking of trauma patients 'reliving' things, that probably is not optimal for their condition
They may or may not.

I have PTSD and I dosed some 4-HO-MIPT to help me with some bad anxiety and depression that I've been dealing with. During my trip I did "relive" some of my trauma, and it was very clear, very lucid what I saw. It honestly wasn't much worse than when I'm sober. It's just instead of avoiding the thought I let myself sit in it and address it. It was hard, but I think it's unavoidable with psychedelics with people who have trauma.

I don't know, maybe something more visual like DMT would cause more intense visuals related to the trauma, but I'm not sure