• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

psychedelic enlightenment my experience

nirvana is the cessation of the mind. I could describe it more, but its a good way to say it. its to eliminate all the reasons you have a mind. but saying it fast like that makes no sense, its just for conversation sake of course!

but yeah, nrvana is a concept, just like a apple is a concept. everything is always just a experience that defy language entirely. words never describes the truth of the simple taste of a apple.
heres a few quote:
Rupert Gethin: "Literally nirvāṇa means ‘blowing out’ or ‘extinguishing’ [...] What the Pali and Sanskrit expression primarily indicates is the event or process of the extinction of the ‘fires’ of greed, aversion, and delusion. At the moment the Buddha understood suffering, its arising, its cessation, and the path leading to its cessation, these fires were extinguished. This process is the same for all who reach awakening,[note 8] and the early texts term it either nirvāṇa or parinirvāṇa, the complete ‘blowing out’ or ‘extinguishing’ of the ‘fires’ of greed, aversion, and delusion. This is not a ‘thing’ but an event or experience.[16][note 9]
Paul Williams: "[Nirvana] means 'extinguishing', as in 'the extinguishing of a flame', and it signifies soteriologically the complete extinguishing of greed, hatred, and fundamentally delusion (i.e. ignorance), the forces which power samsara."[25]
Paul Williams: "Nirvana is broadly speaking the result of letting-go, letting-go the very forces of craving which power continued experiences of pleasure and inevitably suffering throughout this life, death, rebirth, and redeath. That, in a nutshell, is what nirvana is. It is the complete and permanent cessation of samsara, thence the cessation of all types of suffering, resulting from letting-go the forces which power samsara, due to overcoming ignorance (thence also hatred and delusion, the 'three root poisons') through seeing things the way they really are."[25]
Donald Lopez: "[Nirvana] is used to refer to the extinction of desire, hatred, and ignorance and, ultimately, of suffering and rebirth."[web 4]
Damien Keown states: "When the flame of craving is extinguished, rebirth ceases, and an enlightened person is not reborn."[26]

The attainment of nirvana has also been given a more worldy interpretation, emphasising its effect in present life:

Ajahn Sucitto: "By the extinguishing of the “three fires” of greed, hatred, and delusion, nibbāna gives tangible results in terms of other people’s welfare."[27]
Ajahn Sucitto: "The metaphors associated with nibbāna often liken it to the blowing out of a fire. When it is no longer burning, the fire has “nibbāna’d”—the elements on which it was based are no longer in a state of combustion. This may seem like sterility and lifelessness from the viewpoint of the fire, but from the perspective of the elements it means life and potential. That is, when the fires of greed, hatred, and delusion are extinguished, the mind is free to operate in terms of its fullest capacity."[27]

look it up, this is buddhism 101.

and yes, there is such a thing as being perfect but its not what we think, but I know its not all dandy, its very hard. meditation is very hard, but once you get the hang of it, utterly magnificient.

but hey, this is a psy forum and we are all very blessed to be able to have those blissful experience and teachers at our disposition. Thing is, most doesnt seem to really listen and take the teaching of those plants into consideration, so the psychadelics benefit is gone and it creates more problem then not.
tripping more then once a week is utterly problematic, unless you take ayuasca and try to learn from it to try to heal epople, but this is not common ground in the psy community.

Murphy, you sound a bit stiff in your description of enlightenment.

cessation of mind sounds wrong to me,
in all cases, including yours, enlightenment is a concept.

you might wish it were more magical than that, but the objectification and conceptualization is what screws many aspirants up.
on the other hand, I have met a few Bodhisattvas, and they were marvelously flawed in unexpected ways that make no difference, meanwhile they had all their candles lit.

perfection of any kind is a kind of trap.

Last edited:
religions are merely aping or faking the One True "religion" of psychedelics.

A better way to understand it is that there are two levels of religion: the exoteric clueless outsiders who are unable to recognise the altered state allusions in the religious symbols/stories and the esoteric psychedelic insiders who can easily recognise all religious symbols/stories as metaphorical references to the psychedelic altered state experiences, in particular the experience of ego death and rebirth.

"Ajahn Sucitto: "By the extinguishing of the “three fires” of greed, hatred, and delusion, nibbāna gives tangible results in terms of other people’s welfare."[27]"

the three fires, also called three (immoral) roots in abhidhamma - which I am familiar with, are countered karmically by the 3 moral roots, - but there is also akusala or non-rooted consciousness, basically mind in the flow without being "tainted" by conditioning, and that is where the description about cessation fits for living beings
living beings have mind
the bodisattvas and buddhas practice meditation and manage to bring the karmic cycles to a cessation with equanimity.
it is very much mind, but it is unfettered, "awakened" or lightened, or enlightened mind.

Last edited:
you are right, its not the perfect way to say it the cessation of the mind. but everything we do here is not right anyways.

I suggest for anybody to read buddhas suttas and listen to ayya khema talks or ajahn brahm in order to make a opinion based on people who actually devoid their lifes to the path.

here another quote of intrestst:

Thereupon, immediately after the last consciousness in the series of acts of noticing belonging to this insight leading to emergence, the meditator's consciousness leaps forth into Nibbana, which is the cessation of all formations, taking it as its object. Then there appears to him the stilling (subsidence) of all formations called cessation.

This mode of realization of Nibbana has been mentioned in many discourses of the Master, for example: "The vision of truth arose: whatsoever has the nature of arising is bound to cease." Herein the words "bound to cease" indicate the aspect of realizing the stilling and ceasing of all formations which have the nature of arising.

Also in the Questions of King Milinda it is said: "His consciousness, while carrying on the practice of bringing to mind (i.e., noticing), passes beyond the continuous occurrence of phenomena and alights upon non-occurrence. One who, having practiced in the correct manner, has alighted upon non-occurrence, O king, is said to have realized Nibbana."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/nirvanaverb.html

anyways, I recommend to read some suttas as its what the buddha was teaching.

Why would we want to be with our relatives aftter death when we didn't even like em when they were alive? Then we're gonna get stuck with them for eternity? We have to listen to uncle Erny's boring stories forever?

Because they're no longer Uncle Erny, or Aunt Jan, or whoever. It's the same energy, but without the details and specifics like say boring stories that are human and thus not pure positivity and "good" if you will.

The issue is that while ideally, and for a large part of it, all energy and being in the other world is positive and without issue, conflicts are created on an energetic level while alive that carry over into the other side. Two energies that are intensely tied reincarnate into two people, the two people fight and create conflict between themselves while living, and then the energy returns to the source with this un-harmoniousness still present.

While a part of me believes and knows that everything is perfect when one with the source and not incarnated, another part of me believes and knows that it is not all perfect. It's a duality, as everything is in this universe. So while I can't explain how these non-perfect energies exist while in the other side, I know it's possible. Same as, everything is one on the other side, yet it is not. There are still differences in different parts of the energy. The best way I've seen this concept explained is to imagine the oneness as a honeycomb or tree, it's all the same thing, but some parts are closer to others, and every part is slightly different.

Am I making sense?

you have many recommendations, grasshopper
are you serious?

I recommend to listen to monks talks/books from the like of ayya khema and ajahn brahm and also to read the buddha suttas.
I fear I dont understand your attitude.

take care bro

my attitude is about being authoritarian about things.
I think it's a great area to be interested in, but you are not an authority.
just sayin'

I was expecting more reports of people saying they learned something from psychs instead of buddhism talk jeez guys

ive read many many books and listen to countless talks and been meditating for a good while. All I do is talk about dharma, drugs and music and think and live the most accordingly to the dharma. Im not trying to impress, but help and clarify certain theme that are clearly misunderstood or simply not transmitted.

things like the jhana states available to all of us is something everybody should know, that those states exist, its incredible and everybody who had the experience will tell you the same thing, will describe the same experience. meditation is the science of the mind: everybody can do it, its repeatable and explainable. it is the potential of our mind and we all have that potential. those state are true and available to us. there is a way out of suffering, there is a way out of our damn stress, out of this crazy fucking reality.

I feel that a lot of psy users can very much relate to buddhism if they knew the basic teaching, but sadly, even the basic teaching is not shown, and with the internet, there so much bullshit going around, that the real message isnt really easy to come by.

I understand its not the place to do this and I wont talk about it anymore, peace!!!
my attitude is about being authoritarian about things.
I think it's a great area to be interested in, but you are not an authority.
just sayin'

I understand its not the place to do this and I wont talk about it anymore, peace!!!

Didnt mean to attack you in case it felt that way dude, its just the original topic intrigued me and i wasnt seein any posts about it...

Peace to you too man

Didnt mean to attack you in case it felt that way dude, its just the original topic intrigued me and i wasnt seein any posts about it...

Peace to you too man

no, my answer wasnt intended to you!

as for enlightened experience, its clear that theres a lot of different definition of enlightenment. the buddhism definition would mean that a enlightened being have stop any suffering, that he has never ever negative state of mind and never ever feel stress, un-contentment or unsatisfaction. he feel no regret, no sorrow, do not dwell in the past nor think about the future, he has no desire for sensual gratification nor self gratification, he do not believe he has a self nor is attached to his body and do everything imbued in compassion, loving kindess, ect.

this happens on a psy, but after the effect, all the problems comes back ime...

Last edited:
... the buddhism definition would mean that a enlightened being have stop any suffering, that he has never ever negative state of mind and never ever feel stress, un-contentment or unsatisfaction. he feel no regret, no sorrow, do not dwell in the past nor think about the future, he has no desire for sensual gratification nor self gratification, he do not believe he has a self nor is attached to his body and do everything imbued in compassion, loving kindess, ect....

what is the source for this being the Buddhist definition.
I think it is your definition and that you are being authoritative but inaccurate in the same way that the Jesuits described god and heaven to the Hurons in Canada.

on the other hand, your discussion about jhana is probably valuable and it relates closely to psychedelic states -
regarding "enlightenment", you should preface your opinions as your opinions rather than claiming they are Buddhist factoids.

the buddhism definition would mean that a enlightened being have stop any suffering, that he has never ever negative state of mind and never ever feel stress, un-contentment or unsatisfaction. he feel no regret, no sorrow, do not dwell in the past nor think about the future, he has no desire for sensual gratification nor self gratification, he do not believe he has a self nor is attached to his body and do everything imbued in compassion, loving kindess, ect.

This ^ is an absurdly overinflated, idealistic and impossibly unrealistic definition of "enlightenment" that puts it miles out of reach of anyone, and means that nobody ever becomes enlightened.

Beware of unenlightened definitions of enlightenment such as this one that make enlightenment impossible. Enlightened people can suffer just like unenlightened people can....

well some people might have come to the realization that they'd better quit a job they hate and do something more fulfilling with their lives...

But anything you have to do for money becomes a job - Elvis was singing to 20,000 people a night, snorting 100% pure peruvian coke and fucking half a dozen supermodels every night - he still wasn't happy. Can you think of anything more fullfilling than being the greatest rock star in history?

the buddhism definition would mean that a enlightened being have stop any suffering, that he has never ever negative state of mind and never ever feel stress, un-contentment or unsatisfaction. he feel no regret, no sorrow, do not dwell in the past nor think about the future, he has no desire for sensual gratification nor self gratification, he do not believe he has a self nor is attached to his body and do everything imbued in compassion, loving kindess, ect.

Sounds like a pretty dull life. Without sorrow to compare it against what meaning does happiness have?

Peace to you too man

Stop being defensive, I´d say...

im sorry but i do not beleave there is much if any enlightenment in nit picking other peoples concept of enlightenment in one side and out the other !