• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Psilocybin vs. Antidepressants

I thought I might have some relevant experience here to mention, but this will be my first post, so take it easy on me. I'm going to do my best just to convey my experience. I have taken both Zoloft and Lexapro, in that order. They both worked ok at quelling my anxiety and depression, but nothing worked like psilocybin did. I've taken mushrooms four times now, all across the span of the last year. I had the benefit of an incredibly loving, flexible, therapeutic environment that clearly contributed to my improvement, but I would be crazy not to give mushrooms the place they deserve in alleviating some of my stress. Since I realized how beneficially the mushrooms were for me, I've been reading so much. Just, you know, Ott, McKenna, Campbell, Doblin, getting all my ducks in a row. Nassim Haramein does some interesting work with brain oscillations and so does Rak Razam--I like the idea that psilocybin works to teach our brain how to better oscillate. Is that true? I don't know. It's a complicated issue, clearly. My experience with antidepressants is that they worked like a cheap bandaid. Psilocybin seems to be working more like a cure. I see bright colors now, I hear music, I'm so in love with things. That's the best experiential perspective I think I can give on the psychedelic/antidepressant issue. I really recommend looking through some of the Heftier Institute research if you haven't already. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info.

If you respond again could you break up your sentences/paragraphs please to make them easier to read??

So you got LASTING improvement from 4 shroom trips??

That's impressive, seeing as I've taken them more times than that in the past and never got lasting improvement.

What do you attribute that to?

It doesn't seem likely that the psilocybin/psilocin just permanently changed your brain for the better so I think it must be something else.

I disagree with the contention that psilocybin has to be mediated through a therapy setting in order to have a strong anti-depressant effect. I bought mushrooms "off the street" back when I was 21 and I consider that experience to have had a tremendous long-term impact on my life. It's probably one of the defining moments of my entire life, actually, and is the only drug-related item that would make that list. Tremendous positive impact.

I also disagree that it HAS to be mediated through a therapist; however, having a skilled and knowledgeable/empathic therapist present is like having the ultimate trip-sitter... someone who is able to see what's happening and guide you through the experience. It makes it a lot safer because it's much more likely you will be able to be steered in a beneficial direction, and have a good setting, and so forth. And it also makes it much more likely to come to a useful and positive conclusion for the same reason.

But yeah, I also used psychedelics on my own to facilitate lasting positive change.

It doesn't seem likely that the psilocybin/psilocin just permanently changed your brain for the better so I think it must be something else.

It was the therapeutic experience that he went through that was facilitated by the psilocybin that caused the lasting improvement, not some pharmacological change.