• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc propranolol, valium, depakote, anxiety, heart rate, i have many questions.

koalalemur

Greenlighter
Hello, I recently posted about having tachycardia and respiratory depression from medications I have been on for a while but I have other questions now and just wondering if anyone has any input. So far I've found this site helpful. I'll try to keep my description short.

For a long time I was on Depakote 500mg, Levothyroxine 75mg, Gabapentin 1200mg, Valium 10mg, Topamax 250mg, and Ambien CR 6.5, Effexor 37.5 and Tramadol 50mg. I have bad PTSD and other problems and it's been difficult to treat.

Two saturday's ago I took my Ambien, and had some racing heart but it only lasted a few minutes.
That tuesday night I took it again, but I had also taken my Gaba and my heart rate shot up to about 115 bpm, and wouldn't go away. I went to the emergency room, they did an EKG that came up normal, and my blood pressure was normal, but my heart rate wasn't going down, they gave me fluids because they thought I might be dehydration, but eventually had to give me Propranolol and it went down.
Then the next night I took my normal dose of Gabapentin, and got a really weird reaction. Numbness in my legs, cold hands and feet, really dizzy almost like an aura you have before having a seizure. I called poison control, they told me to eat, and it helped a little but with the dizziness but then an hour in my heart rate shot up to about 132 bpm. Had to go to the ER again, and they checked my EKG again and my blood pressure, normal, but was given Propanolol 20mg again. It went down. I was reffered to a cardiologist but couldn't see him till monday, and my psychiatrist was out of the country. I was told not to go off of any of my medications as they didn't think that was the problem. The next night I had some pain and took my normal dose of 50mg Tramadol, and ended up staying up the whole night because I had respiratory depression and it scared me.

Then I went to my cardiologist, and they did an EKG and blood pressure and said everything was normal and didn't think I had an actual undelying problem, that it was just my meds, so I talked to my primary care and psychiatrist and agreed I was on too many medications, so now it's been reduced. Now I'm taking Depakote 750mg, Valium 10.5, Levothyroxine 75mg, and Propanolol 20mg. I was paranoid and traumatized and began thinking I was having breathing problems. Went back to the ER a couple of times to check my lungs and was actually given a psych consult because they couldn't find anything and I was so freaked out they wanted to make sure I was okay.

I haven't been back since, but had a night where I took propanolol 20mg and my bpm went down to 58, so I stayed up the whole night. Found out the next day from my cardiologist that was normal and I could have slept. Basically, it just can't go under 40 bpm and if it does I'm not going to die I just need to go to the hospital. Last night I only took 5mg propranolol, and it went to 58 but I went to sleep and was fine, but it's like every day my average resting bpm goes down more. Does propranolol build up in your system? I called my doctors today because I was having a panic attack and began getting dizzy, and was worried my blood pressure was getting too low and I was having a reaction to the Propranolol. My normal average resting bpm is like 80 and its 69 now, that seems too low. I'm also having this problem now where when I try and just go to sleep, the moment right before I actually fall asleep my heart starts to race. I'm afraid to take the Propranolol tonight, but I am also epileptic and can't miss out on much more sleep, and the pounding heart keeps me awake. I know some of this is anxiety, but I've dealt with some major stuff in my life and been on many different medications and have never had so many problems. I'm exhausted and I'm scared. I also wasn't taking my Levothyroxine for a while and am wondering if that's reducing my heart rate. They did say at the hospital my thyroid was low. So, basically, why am I having this reaction to Propranolol? Should I take it with food and since I'm weaning off the Effexor now is there any relation to that? I read it can increase the levels in your blood and make it last longer. Why did I have these reactions all the sudden in general? I can't seem to find any specific information that's putting my mind at ease, and I know the anxiety is building and that isn't helping. Every night I'm scared to go to sleep now, and I just want things to go back to normal. I also know some of this has to do with sleep deprivation (dizziness). Any advice is appreciated as I am emotionally drained.

I was put on propanol after I went to the ER because my heart was at 150 BPM. I had been going through a rough time in my life and I was basically having really bad anxiety like all the time and that's why my heart rate was always 100+ BPM. Eventually things got better but I was still taking propanol because I was told I needed it and without it my heart beats too fast although they didn't know why that was. One day I was at work and started getting really dizzy and had to walk into the office. I was on the verge of passing out and was sent to the hospital. I got there and my heart was only at 25-30 BPM. They just gave me fluids and sent me home but I still kept having days where my heart would be going really slow. Finally I went back to my doctor and he took me off the propanol. I think in some people it does build up in your system. That's basically what happened to me. He told me that he didn't think there was anything wrong with my heart to begin with and that I was probably just having anxiety and that's why my heart rate would be so high in the past. So instead of a heart medication he just gave me Ativan for when I had anxiety problems. He was right, but unfortunately the Ativan was one of the factors leading to me becoming an addict. I haven't bon benzos in a couple years now but for about 5 years I couldn't function without them. I don't know if this will help you any but that was my experience with propanol.

25-30, thats scary. I'm glad you're okay. Thank you for telling your story, I was told to take my Propranolol tonight but not sure if I'm going to. I haven't had racing heart problems (apart from weed) in the past except since last saturday, it sucks. And I haven't used weed in a while. My doctor increased my valium so I'm hoping that helps, although I don't really like taking it because it is addicting.

Yea, I'm not trying to tell you what to do but if you think it's making your heart beat too slow just try skipping it or maybe taking half of it or something. If you start having the racing heart again you can always just take it then.

The only comment I can make is that I was rx propanalol off label for anxiety and took 40 mgs a day for several months and didn't have any issues at all. Also, and this is of no help to you, but I HATE HATE HATE Depakote....just throwing that out there....for no reason at all.

what do you hate about depakote? I'm curious. I have to take something for my ptsd and my epilepsy, so it kinda works in the middle but my doctor actually wanted to put me on lithium prior to all these side affects happening.

I was on 1500 mgs, so a much higher dose, but it really impaired my cognitive functioning. In my opinion, Lithium is a really good drug. It needs careful monitoring, but the side effects are minimal and was pretty effective for me in helping with anger problems. The only side effect I even noticed was weight gain.

1500 mgs of Depakote, that is. I wasn't clear. It was almost comparable to Seroquel in relation to how slow it made me.

ugh seroquel was horrible to me. I had weight problems and tachycardia, I had to stop taking it. It also made me just fuzzy headed.

Yep. And they say tardive dyskinesia is rare, but ive seen quite a few older people on long term anti-psychs with the disorder. Unless someone is really far out there with severe bi-polar or schizophrenia, anti-psychs aren't even worth the risks. This, in my opinion.