• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Propranolol 20 mg twice a day making me extremely sleepy 24/7

suzieq70s

Bluelighter
I was prescribed propranolol 20 mg twice a day for insomnia. I was explained all the other things it does. Lowering the physical response to anxiety and such. Lowering heart rate. Lowering blood pressure. I understand its a beta blocker.

Shortly after I started I noticed how calm my heart was. (Usually have a resting heart rate of 90 or so) I checked my heart rate a few times over the course of the 4 days I took it and it was around an average of 60. Lowest it got was 56.

I wasn't too concerned yet because I had no signs of low oxygen levels and I was still very clear headed.

Well I stopped taking it a little over 48 hours ago because my issue is I am unbelievably groggy sleepy. Yesterday I slept 19 hours. I cannot nor do I want to sleep that much. Today I've only been awake for 2 hours after sleeping 10 hours and I could easily go back to sleep for most of the day and night too.

I just took my resting heart rate and it is 64. I think its low for an overweight pack and a half a day sedentary smoker.

I didn't really ask a question but any comments advice suggestions reassurance would be appreciated.

Hmmm... I had the complete opposite reaction, i couldn't sleep when i was taking it.

Hmmm... I had the complete opposite reaction, i couldn't sleep when i was taking it.

I also noticed I was constantly clenching my jaw as if I had taken some opiate. Now that I'm over 48 hours without any propranolol the jaw clenching is completely gone. But I'm still sleepy as hell.

Question #1. Why the hell did they give you propranolol for insomnia?

Question #1. Why the hell did they give you propranolol for insomnia?

It was from my med appointment at therapy. The person is a nurse practitioner I think.

Anyways we're thinking my insomnia is from my mind racing and inability to relax. Anxiety is high trying to fall asleep. And I have PTSD.

I've been through ambien. (Worked very well but after 2 years it stopped working) then trazodone then amitryptalin (sp?) And then mirtazapine. None of those worked at all. Trazodone had horrible side effects for me. So now we're trying propranolol.

If I can ask you. Why are you surprised I was given propranolol for insomnia?

Its not a common agent at all for sleep is why I asked. It does cause drowsiness in many and can help with stage fright type of anxiety, but insomnia would be a really rare use. You have used quite a few more common sleep meds, but havent exhausted all unless your list is incomplete.

Its not a common agent at all for sleep is why I asked. It does cause drowsiness in many and can help with stage fright type of anxiety, but insomnia would be a really rare use. You have used quite a few more common sleep meds, but havent exhausted all unless your list is incomplete.

That is the complete list. I'm thinking I would like to try something like belsomra or lunesta.

My body doesn't seem to respond well to types like trazodone and amitryptaline

Sorry I can't edit my posts from my phone. But kittycat I'm glad to hear there are still more options out there.

I also forgot to mention I've also tried melatonin.

I don't know if its allowed but any names of meds for insomnia might be helpful and then I can research them and then talk to the nurse maybe is what I'm thinking.

Remron worked better than trazadone for me, 30mg rem compared to 150 traz