• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Proper time between injection site?

avcpl

Bluelighter
It's recommended that for vein health, injection sites be rotated.

What is the minimum time that is recommended between uses for a vein? How long does it take for the vein to heal from a single injection?

I use 30G needles.

Is the damage cumulative? For example if I used one spot once a week would that vein eventually fail, just not for several years? or is it the frequent, repeated use of the vein that's the problem?

I've searched all over and can't really find any answers...

Thanks!

Based on google, veins tend to heal in one to two weeks except for rare complications.

I typically switch veins often, like every few days or so. I usually gauge when to switch by how my arm looks. Like if it is all red with puncture wounds, i'll switch. I also try not to hit the same exact spot over and over, so for example on the vein on the underside of my elbow (I forget the name) I will hit up and down ~2 inches apart in total.

Would like to hear some more opinions on this though - I too am curious.

Is the damage cumulative? For example if I used one spot once a week would that vein eventually fail, just not for several years? or is it the frequent, repeated use of the vein that's the problem?

Yes, usually what happens is fibrotic (scar) tissue forms around the needle insertion point, and over time it thickens and stiffens.

If you repeatedly insert a needle through a spot that's still healing, it tends to heighten the original injury and aggravate the site even more, encouraging an even thicker build up of scar tissue.

So allowing it to heal properly first, even though some amount of scar will still form, does tend to extend the life of the site.

An injection site usually needs between 2 and 3 days if taking blood or blood test, that's done under the best conditions clinically and not as hazardous as iv drugs by yourself, so it pays to rotate these sites as often as you can.

Veins are just like bicycle tyres tubes, they patch up good but dont last forever.

If you're going to use the same vein,hit upstream from your usual point if necessary.

This question is not answerable. If you poke a place with a needle too many times, you will probably damage it. If you don't poke an area with a needle many times, the area will not be damaged. I don't understand how this warrants discussion.

I would say it would be a general guide to vein health maintenance and having a clearer idea as to rotation of sites. If a regular or heavy iv drug user has a number of hits a day and limited spots that are ideal for vein size and access then rotating them the optimal way is hugely important as hitting other areas is not going to end well.

Healing rates are fairly predictable, scars can be minimised, holes do heal over but the exact same spot over and over before it has managed to recover is too common .

Hitting the same vein upstream is better yet that means the entry point if last one is not the easy locator sometimes used.

This question is not answerable. If you poke a place with a needle too many times, you will probably damage it. If you don't poke an area with a needle many times, the area will not be damaged. I don't understand how this warrants discussion.

wow, I would have thought a moderator would have a better attitude toward harm reduction than JUST SAY NO!

To the others, thank you for your kind replies.

I only use twice a week maximum, but there is only one vein that I can easily hit. I was hoping that I could just use the one spot but seeing that instead of healing in a couple days as I thought, a week is likely needed. So I will just use the crook in my elbow once a week and find someplace else for the other day.

I would say this discussion was very warranted and helpful to me and hopefully others. Again I thank you.

wow, I would have thought a moderator would have a better attitude toward harm reduction than JUST SAY NO!

I only use twice a week maximum, but there is only one vein that I can easily hit. I was hoping that I could just use the one spot but seeing that instead of healing in a couple days as I thought, a week is likely needed. So I will just use the crook in my elbow once a week and find someplace else for the other day.

I would say this discussion was very warranted and helpful to me and hopefully others. Again I thank you.

Hey there! I definitely don't have a problem with you disagreeing with my approach, but it will seriously piss me off if you begin to claim that I am in favor of "Just Say No" politics. I consider that to be an insult dude. I never have said that or espoused this belief. I merely said that your question is unanswerable. It still is unanswerable. I get it if you can't wrap your head around what I'm trying to say, but please don't get upset and start throwing random insults at me.

I didn't say "Hey buddy, fuck you, your question is unanswerable". I devote a lot of my time, heart and soul into this community. I do it for free because I care about my peers. I don't get a paycheck. I don't get chicks. I occasionally get a compliment and sure, that feels nice, but it's not why I do it. I'm not looking for praise, but I am looking for a basic level of respect.

After all of the time I have spent trying to make this community great, healthy and happy... then to have some guy who doesn't even know me accuse me of being in favor of the most utterly conservative drug policy ever spoken of. It just sucks man.

No worries mate, as a side note to be honest with you, forums such as this one has generally been utilised by people that are obv involved in some way with the drug scene and there are that many ROA preferences, variety of drugs, level of use and experience, all the things under the rainbow.

With that said, what posts are around and coming in to the thread are really just the suggestions that blr thinks is best.

Feel free to pick and choose what makes sense to you, especially when it comes to iv drugs into your veins , it would be awesome if there was a show us your veins function as I learned far more from a couple of seasoned junkie mates who were pedantic about veins as without them then no more whack lol.

Couple times a week is pretty fucking not even a thing to be honest although its a worry you only have one you are using.

Theres a few handy hints and tricks to get others to pop and if youre interested I can chuck in here later on or flick you a pm, its better for you to have a spare for actual blood tests etc .

Bit going on for the weekend so bit of a lag sorry about that.

Other blrs have their techniques to look after their veins but i wouldnt pay attention to leg preferred posts, behind the knee killed a friend and hands are too fiddly.