Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Proper reason for the use of Ayahuasca.

markman

Greenlighter
Hello,

Im planning to go to an ayahuasca retreat some time in may, was wondering if there is a right and wrong reasons for the use of the medicine. This medicine was wildly used by shamans for healing, but healing what exactly. If someone has for example schizophrenia and feels like his/her hallucianations and delusions are very negative, would the use of ayahuasca be able to help? Maybe not remove the hallucination, but would it be able to make the hallucinations and delusions more positive?

Last edited:
If someone has for example schizophrenia and feels like his/her hallucianations and delusions are very negative, would the use of ayahuasca be able to help? Maybe not remove the hallucination, but would it be able to make the hallucinations and delusions more positive?

There's really no way of knowing, but I wouldn't bet on it. Honestly, if I were schizophrenic I would stay clear of ayahuasca. There are safer ways to experiment with drugs, I think.

Stay away from ayahuasca if you have schizophrenia. It could be incredibly traumatizing and you may never be the same. The risk is huge.

Okay yes there would be I agree that there is a great risk involved, it could trigger psychosis, but from what I've read ayahuasca is great at helping traumatic memories from the past. And I feel that the negative hallucinations are caused by past traumatic events. So wouldn't it be fair to say then that ayahuasca could potentially be a great tool?

Maybe in a clinical setting with a therapist trained in psychedelic therapy and staff standing by, with sufficient drugs to potentially abort the experience.

from what I've read ayahuasca is great at helping traumatic memories from the past.

Unfortunately, people have been writing insane things about the purported benefits of all kinds of drugs ever since the beginning of recorded history. You simply cannot trust the things you read unless they're backed by at least a little bit of science, and when your mental health hangs in the balance (not to mention the fact that a few people have died after taking ayahuasca), it simply is not a risk worth taking.

While schizophrenia is under-studied, you can try to improve your symptoms by other means that have a better chance of working and less risk of harm. The fact that you've identified certain memories as a cause is a great first step.

Hello,

Im planning to go to an ayahuasca retreat some time in may, was wondering if there is a right and wrong reasons for the use of the medicine. This medicine was wildly used by shamans for healing, but healing what exactly. If someone has for example schizophrenia and feels like his/her hallucianations and delusions are very negative, would the use of ayahuasca be able to help? Maybe not remove the hallucination, but would it be able to make the hallucinations and delusions more positive?
Ralph Metzner has determined that DMT and psilocybin are metabolized so that that when they are passing the blood brain barrier are idetical. Don't waste your time traveling to do ayahuasca. To your brain it's the same as high dose mushrooms. Stay at home, be comfortable. have people around you that love you and will care for you. Psychedelics are NEVER good for schizophrenia. If it's an issue avoid it altogether. Psychedelics will not cause schizophrenia, but they will aggravate it.

Metanoia man is a fraud. Psilocybin is metabolized into psilocin. DMT is metabolized into n-methyltryptamine. These compounds are not the same in any way. n-methyltryptamine isn't even active.

Stay away from ayahuasca if you have schizophrenia. It could be incredibly traumatizing and you may never be the same. The risk is huge.

This. DO NOT use Ayahuasca if you are Schizophrenic.

I know someone who AFAIK is now Schizophrenic; but they have used Ayahuasca many times, and they believe what they experience on the DMT and other plants mixed in such as Dautra, that it's more real than reality itself.

I know someone who believe what they experience on the DMT and other plants mixed in it's more real than reality itself.

this is a very common occurrence among people who tried ayahuasca or other potent psychedelics, whether they have mental illnesses or not

Metanoia man is a fraud. Psilocybin is metabolized into psilocin. DMT is metabolized into n-methyltryptamine. These compounds are not the same in any way. n-methyltryptamine isn't even active.
Do some research. If you are doing ayahuasca, your brain is having the same experience it has on mushrooms. Sorry. Hope you don't feel ripped off.

MetanoiaMan, as has been said before on this topic: provide evidence of your claims that both DMT and 4-PO-DMT are metabolised into 4-HO-DMT in vitro, or stop repeating it. As 'harmless' as it may be, so far as I care, you're still repeating false information until you prove otherwise.

Your posts are the only source I can find on this on this claim. In my personal opinion, "Ralph Metzner has determined..." isn't valid evidence, given he possesses a PhD in psychology and practices psychotherapy.

I also don't think they are the same either. Even if they metabolize the same, the effect of shrooms and DMT are not exactly the same. They can feel very similar, but I believe there are some definite differences, not placebo.

As for valid reason to use ayahuasca well it is meanly intended to heal your mind/soul and change your outlook on yourself and life but physical healing can take place also. Once you understand that physical reality is a manifestation of higher, spiritual realities, or to put it another way, the physical body is included in the psyche, you will understand that healing the mind can bring healing to the body, just like maintaining a healthy body can improve your state of mind.

Well let say schizophrenia was out of the equation here along with the risk of psychosis, would ayahuasca then be a tool to help with post traumatic memories?

Yeah that's true i highly doubt it metabolizes in psilocin, its is true that the molecular structure are similar, but they are quite different.

Maybe in a clinical setting with a therapist trained in psychedelic therapy and staff standing by, with sufficient drugs to potentially abort the experience.

Sadly this is not available, but it would be a great way to experience the medicine.

MetanoiaMan, as has been said before on this topic: provide evidence of your claims that both DMT and 4-PO-DMT are metabolised into 4-HO-DMT in vitro, or stop repeating it. As 'harmless' as it may be, so far as I care, you're still repeating false information until you prove otherwise.

Your posts are the only source I can find on this on this claim. In my personal opinion, "Ralph Metzner has determined..." isn't valid evidence, given he possesses a PhD in psychology and practices psychotherapy.
Bro. I'm gonna cite the article in his book. It's at the office. I'll cite the pages. Dude wrote a book called, "The Ayahuasca Experience." He goes back to working with Leary at Harvard. Is the real deal. Ayahuasca is just old wine in new skins. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. People have like the icaros and the ceremonies but that's what they're paying for. They should know.