Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Proof of being prescribed a drug

casual1

Bluelighter
Is there a way of obtaining evidence I was prescribed a certain drug? Who should I contact to obtain this info? I don't have the actual prescription itself anymore, all I need is something to prove I was previously prescribed a drug.

If the clinic is still open they should still have your medical record, even if the specific doctor you saw no longer works there.

Medical records should be kept for 7 years for adults and 25 years for children. You may be able to seek access to your records from the clinic under privacy legislation or request for records to be transferred to another practice.
You may also be able to get a receipt from a chemist detailing all your prescription purchases, ask for a financial year summary statement.

That might not be possible. Is there a central register somewhere? I thought something like that might exist to stop patients doctor shopping for drugs of abuse.

I was under the impression there is no "central register." Each doctor and their patient has a confidentiality agreement. However, a doctor can, if suspicious activity seems to be going on, (which might include looking at how many doctors a person has seen in the past 12 months - if it's 15 different ones, that sets off alarm bells-) ask for an inquiry into the patients history and prescriptions to see if any foul play is going on.

The pharmacist can print a list and sign it. I get them to do this when going overseas with prescription medicines. :)