• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Promethazine Question

ficksme

Greenlighter
So, I recently tried promethazine syrup with my prescribed oxycodone...

I did not get nauseous, and didn't get the itchiness I get from taking my medicine.
It also helped me actually sleep too. I always have a hard time sleeping and get maybe 2 hours a night because of the pain and because my brain is always running.

Is there any other medicine that anybody knows of that helps with the side effect like promethazine did for me?
I'm nervous because this is the stupid pop culture medicine i believe that people have a tendency to abuse.
I don't care if it's the pill form or the syrup form - Whatever will help with my side effects...
I did not know there was something out there that could prevent my side effects!!

Should I be afraid to ask my doctor about this?

promethezine is available in pill form with a prescription. I don't see any issue with discussing this topic with your doctor.
You may want to avoid asking for promethazine specifically. In my experience doctors usually don't enjoy people telling them how to do their job.

Opiates/opioids cause a histamine release which in turn makes a person feel "itchy." Promethazine is an antihistamine therefore inhibiting, or at least reducing any histamine response.
You could try some over the counter antihistamines such as benadryl.
If over the counter meds do not suffice then you may want to talk to your doctor about antihistamines.
If i was in your position i would tell my doctor that i experience uncomfortable "itchiness" and subsequently did some reading on how to alleviate these symptoms.
I would explain that over the counter antihistamines were not helping much and ask him/her for any advice on the matter.
That should be enough to lead a doctor to prescribe you promethazine or some other med that should help with your negative symptoms.

If anything you should smoke some indica to help you fall asleep better wit maybe if you feel like it you should add some promethazine and i promise you youll fall asleep like a baby.

Hi,
Promethazine isn't addictive at all, the only problem with it is that the sedative effects it has decreases a lot within just a few days.

At first people can take 25-50mg promethazine and fall asleep when it kicks in straight away due to the sedative effects (it has one of the strongest sedative effects of an anti-histamine medication that's OTC - well here in the UK, anyway).

When I take promethazine as I always add it to opioid drugs to increase the sedatives effects, and reduce the unwanted side effects of the opioids I need around 125mg. That's a high dose, and then I suffer other symptoms due to the anticholinergic properties, which aren't great. So I tend to only use it for 2 days maximum and then have a few days break from promethazine to avoid the tolerance build up. Also doxylamine is even stronger sedative wise, that isn't OTC here in the UK, but it is in America. I have a friend in America who brought me Kirkland Sleep Aid which are doxylamine tablets 25mg each.

"Doxylamine is also the most effective over-the-counter sedative available in the United States and is more sedating than some prescription hypnotics. One study found that doxylamine succinate was more effective than the barbiturate phenobarbital for use as a sedative"

But if you're struggling to sleep, I would see your doctor as you've got the oxy for legit pain and you're not abusing it. You should only use the promethazine/OTC sleep aids for a short period of time only unless you're doing so by a doctors supervision.

Doxylamine makes the front part of your brain buzz and hurt like hell I hate it it is very sleepy but it's a headache forced sleepy that's uncomfortable not a noddy warm type sleepy just straight ambien like effect

If anything you should smoke some indica to help you fall asleep better wit maybe if you feel like it you should add some promethazine and i promise you youll fall asleep like a baby.

Well, if I was perscribed the promethazine, I think that would be plenty enough.
I liked it because it stopped my itchiness and I didn't feel sick to my stomach after taking my oxy.

Hi,
Promethazine isn't addictive at all, the only problem with it is that the sedative effects it has decreases a lot within just a few days.

At first people can take 25-50mg promethazine and fall asleep when it kicks in straight away due to the sedative effects (it has one of the strongest sedative effects of an anti-histamine medication that's OTC - well here in the UK, anyway).

When I take promethazine as I always add it to opioid drugs to increase the sedatives effects, and reduce the unwanted side effects of the opioids I need around 125mg. That's a high dose, and then I suffer other symptoms due to the anticholinergic properties, which aren't great. So I tend to only use it for 2 days maximum and then have a few days break from promethazine to avoid the tolerance build up. Also doxylamine is even stronger sedative wise, that isn't OTC here in the UK, but it is in America. I have a friend in America who brought me Kirkland Sleep Aid which are doxylamine tablets 25mg each.

"Doxylamine is also the most effective over-the-counter sedative available in the United States and is more sedating than some prescription hypnotics. One study found that doxylamine succinate was more effective than the barbiturate phenobarbital for use as a sedative"

But if you're struggling to sleep, I would see your doctor as you've got the oxy for legit pain and you're not abusing it. You should only use the promethazine/OTC sleep aids for a short period of time only unless you're doing so by a doctors supervision.

Yeah, I have tried over the counter antihistamines, including Benadryl.
I have been upfront with my doctor in the past on a different occasion, and have told him/her that I have tried this or that and it worked.
They appreciated me being honest and because I have a history with my doctor and I also have regular drug tests due to pain medicine perscription, he trusted me and my use of medication.
So, he started me on that medicine because it worked well for me.