• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Proglumide for AIA

zeka

Greenlighter
Has anyone had any luck using proglumide for antipsychotic-induced akathisia? Any luck finding it? Been searching for the substance for a while now and haven't been able to find any from a reliable vendor. Most are from vendors on sites that are used by mostly non-english speakers so I'm having a hard time gauging whether or not the source is trust worthy. I hope I am not breaking any TOS/rules by posting this as this is not a controlled substance. It used to be a normal drug, but now it seems very difficult to find.

Any input is appreciated!

Last edited:
Why proglumide? I don't understand how it would work. Im interested because it seems totally different than what I've been given for antipsychotic side effects.

Have you tried anticholinergics I take benztropine but I'd check first with doctor but diphenhydramine (benadyrl) at a low dose might also work.

Anticholinergics do have alot of side effects though but the effects can be pretty dramatic like in hospital an antipsychotic made it hard to move from a chair but they gave me a big dose anti cholinergic into my shoulder completely reversed it

Now I just take two tiny pills with my meds for the daily annoying minor side effects + and walking everyday like while typing this

Why proglumide? I don't understand how it would work. Im interested because it seems totally different than what I've been given for antipsychotic side effects.

Have you tried anticholinergics I take benztropine but I'd check first with doctor but diphenhydramine (benadyrl) at a low dose might also work.

Anticholinergics do have alot of side effects though but the effects can be pretty dramatic like in hospital an antipsychotic made it hard to move from a chair but they gave me a big dose anti cholinergic into my shoulder completely reversed it

Now I just take two tiny pills with my meds for the daily annoying minor side effects + and walking everyday like while typing this

I'm concerned with the increased risk of dementia when it comes to anticholinergics. I have a hunch this drug could work.
"Furthermore, low doses of proglumide immediately reverse the depolarization inactivation of A9 and A10 dopamine-containing neurons produced by repeated haloperidol treatment. These data suggest that endogenous cholecystokinin may influence dopamine cell activity and play a role in the neuroleptic-and depolarization-induced inactivation of midbrain dopamine neurons. Several studies have now demonstrated that chronic, but not acute, administration of antipsychotic drugs (APDs) produces a decrease in the number of spontaneously active dopamine (DA)-containing neurons within the midbrain (Bunney and Grace, 1978; Chiodo and Bunney, 1983a; White and Wang, 1983a, b). In these studies it has been repeatedly demonstrated that classical APDs (which are known to induce extrapyramidal side effects) inactivate DA-containing neurons within both the substantia nigra (A9) and the adjacent ventral tegmental area (A 10). Atypical APDs (those associated with a low incidence of side effects) inactivate only A10 DA neurons. "
Chiodo LA, Bunney BS. Population response of midbrain dopaminergic neurons to neuroleptics: further studies on time course and nondopaminergic neuronal influences. J Neurosci. 1987 Mar;7(3):629-33. doi: 10.1523/JNEUROSCI.07-03-00629.1987. PMID: 2881987; PMCID: PMC6569064.

O wow. Do you have any idea what dose you plan on taking to have an effect like in that study ?

Very interesting source thank you for that.

Common dosages would be 100-500mg; I wouldn't take anything in excess of a gram since there are receptors in the pancreas.