• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Prime Minister Of Canada Justin Trudeau Mandates That Marijuana Be Legalized

poledriver

Bluelighter
Prime Minister Of Canada Justin Trudeau Mandates That Marijuana Be Legalized

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau made international headlines when he campaigned on a pro-marijuana platform. He continued to make headlines when he won running on the platform, and all eyes in the marijuana world have been on Canada ever since. I have heard the question, ‘when will marijuana be legalized in Canada?’ asked a lot lately. Justin Trudeau recently issued a letter giving mandates to the Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada. Among many mandates was the following in regards to marijuana:

Working with the Ministers of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness and Health, create a federal-provincial-territorial process that will lead to the legalization and regulation of marijuana.

I have to pinch myself every time I read it. I can’t even imagine how excited Canadian cannabis supporters are right now. Here you have a sitting Prime Minister mandating marijuana legalization as one of his first acts after taking over the job. I wish that more leaders were so sensible!

To the South, I know that many marijuana reform supporters are hoping that Bernie Sanders will follow in the same footsteps. I would say that Justin Trudeau’s mandate is actually even more progressive than Bernie Sanders’ stance, in that it mandates regulation in addition to ending prohibition. Bernie Sanders’ plan would just end federal prohibition, leaving it up to the states to decide their own marijuana policies, which is still a fantastic political position.

http://www.theweedblog.com/prime-mi...trudeau-mandates-that-marijuana-be-legalized/

Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada Mandate Letter

Dear Ms. Wilson-Raybould:

I am honoured that you have agreed to serve Canadians as Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada.

We have promised Canadians a government that will bring real change – in both what we do and how we do it. Canadians sent a clear message in this election, and our platform offered a new, ambitious plan for a strong and growing middle class. Canadians expect us to fulfill our commitments, and it is my expectation that you will do your part in delivering on those promises to Canadians.

We made a commitment to invest in growing our economy, strengthening the middle class, and helping those working hard to join it. We committed to provide more direct help to those who need it by giving less to those who do not. We committed to public investment as the best way to spur economic growth, job creation, and broad-based prosperity. We committed to a responsible, transparent fiscal plan for challenging economic times.

I expect Canadians to hold us accountable for delivering these commitments, and I expect all ministers to do their part – individually and collectively – to improve economic opportunity and security for Canadians.

It is my expectation that we will deliver real results and professional government to Canadians. To ensure that we have a strong focus on results, I will expect Cabinet committees and individual ministers to: track and report on the progress of our commitments; assess the effectiveness of our work; and align our resources with priorities, in order to get the results we want and Canadians deserve.

If we are to tackle the real challenges we face as a country – from a struggling middle class to the threat of climate change – Canadians need to have faith in their government’s honesty and willingness to listen. I expect that our work will be informed by performance measurement, evidence, and feedback from Canadians. We will direct our resources to those initiatives that are having the greatest, positive impact on the lives of Canadians, and that will allow us to meet our commitments to them. I expect you to report regularly on your progress toward fulfilling our commitments and to help develop effective measures that assess the impact of the organizations for which you are answerable.

I made a personal commitment to bring new leadership and a new tone to Ottawa. We made a commitment to Canadians to pursue our goals with a renewed sense of collaboration. Improved partnerships with provincial, territorial, and municipal governments are essential to deliver the real, positive change that we promised Canadians. No relationship is more important to me and to Canada than the one with Indigenous Peoples. It is time for a renewed, nation-to-nation relationship with Indigenous Peoples, based on recognition of rights, respect, co-operation, and partnership.

We have also committed to set a higher bar for openness and transparency in government. It is time to shine more light on government to ensure it remains focused on the people it serves. Government and its information should be open by default. If we want Canadians to trust their government, we need a government that trusts Canadians. It is important that we acknowledge mistakes when we make them. Canadians do not expect us to be perfect – they expect us to be honest, open, and sincere in our efforts to serve the public interest.

Our platform guides our government. Over the course of our four-year mandate, I expect us to deliver on all of our commitments. It is our collective responsibility to ensure that we fulfill our promises, while living within our fiscal plan. Other issues will arise or will be brought to our attention by Canadians, stakeholders, and the public service. It is my expectation that you will engage constructively and thoughtfully and add priorities to your agenda when appropriate.

As Minister, you will be held accountable for our commitment to bring a different style of leadership to government. This will include: close collaboration with your colleagues; meaningful engagement with Opposition Members of Parliament, Parliamentary Committees and the public service; constructive dialogue with Canadians, civil society, and stakeholders, including business, organized labour, the broader public sector, and the not-for-profit and charitable sectors; and identifying ways to find solutions and avoid escalating conflicts unnecessarily. As well, members of the Parliamentary Press Gallery, indeed all journalists in Canada and abroad, are professionals who, by asking necessary questions, contribute in an important way to the democratic process. Your professionalism and engagement with them is essential.

Canadians expect us, in our work, to reflect the values we all embrace: inclusion, honesty, hard work, fiscal prudence, and generosity of spirit. We will be a government that governs for all Canadians, and I expect you, in your work, to bring Canadians together.

You are expected to do your part to fulfill our government’s commitment to transparent, merit-based appointments, to help ensure gender parity and that Indigenous Canadians and minority groups are better reflected in positions of leadership.

You have a double role as both Minister of Justice and the Attorney General of Canada. As Minister of Justice, you are the legal advisor to Cabinet. In this capacity you are responsible with the administration of justice, including policy in such areas as criminal law, family law, human rights law, public law and private international law, constitutional law and Aboriginal justice. As the Attorney General of Canada, you are the chief law officer of the Crown, responsible for conducting all litigation for the federal government and for upholding the Constitution, the rule of law, and respect for the independence of the courts.

As Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada, your overarching goal will be to ensure our legislation meets the highest standards of equity, fairness and respect for the rule of law. I expect you to ensure that our initiatives respect the Constitution of Canada, court decisions, and are in keeping with our proudest legal traditions. You are expected to ensure that the rights of Canadians are protected, that our work demonstrates the greatest possible commitment to respecting the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, and that our government seeks to fulfill our policy goals with the least interference with the rights and privacy of Canadians as possible.

In particular, I will expect you to work with your colleagues and through established legislative, regulatory, and Cabinet processes to deliver on your top priorities:

Lead a process, supported by the Minister of Health, to work with provinces and territories to respond to the Supreme Court of Canada decision regarding physician-assisted death.
Develop, in collaboration with the Minister of Indigenous and Northern Affairs, and supported by the Minister of Status of Women, an approach to, and a mandate for, an inquiry into murdered and missing Indigenous women and girls in Canada, including the identification of a lead Minister.
Review our litigation strategy. This should include early decisions to end appeals or positions that are not consistent with our commitments, the Charter or our values.
You should conduct a review of the changes in our criminal justice system and sentencing reforms over the past decade with a mandate to assess the changes, ensure that we are increasing the safety of our communities, getting value for money, addressing gaps and ensuring that current provisions are aligned with the objectives of the criminal justice system. Outcomes of this process should include increased use of restorative justice processes and other initiatives to reduce the rate of incarceration amongst Indigenous Canadians, and implementation of recommendations from the inquest into the death of Ashley Smith regarding the restriction of the use of solitary confinement and the treatment of those with mental illness.
Work with the Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness and the Minister of Indigenous and Northern Affairs to address gaps in services to Aboriginal people and those with mental illness throughout the criminal justice system.
Working with the Ministers of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness and Health, create a federal-provincial-territorial process that will lead to the legalization and regulation of marijuana.
Undertake modernization efforts to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the criminal justice system, in cooperation with provinces and territories. This should include improved use of information technology to make the system more efficient and timely, exploration of sentencing alternatives and bail reform, and the creation of a unified family court.
Support the Minister of Canadian Heritage to restore a modern Court Challenges Program.
Work with the Ministers of Finance and National Revenue to develop a modernized regulatory and legal framework governing the Charitable and Not-for-Profit sectors.
Engage all parties in the House of Commons to ensure that the process of appointing Supreme Court Justices is transparent, inclusive and accountable to Canadians. Consultations should be undertaken with all relevant stakeholders and those appointed to the Supreme Court should be functionally bilingual.
Support the Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness in his efforts to repeal key elements of Bill C-51, and introduce new legislation that strengthens accountability with respect to national security and better balances collective security with rights and freedoms.
Support the Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness in his efforts to repeal key elements of Bill C-42 and implement our commitment to reduce the number of handguns and assault weapons on our streets.
Implement our platform commitments to toughen criminal laws and bail conditions in cases of domestic assault, in consultation with stakeholders and with the goal of keeping survivors and children safe. You should undertake this work in consultation with the Minister of Status of Women and the Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness.
Work with the President of the Treasury Board to enhance the openness of government, including supporting his review of the Access to Information Act to ensure that Canadians have easier access to their own personal information, that the Information Commissioner is empowered to order government information to be released and that the Act applies appropriately to the Prime Minister’s and Ministers’ Offices, as well as administrative institutions that support Parliament and the courts.
Introduce government legislation to add gender identity as a prohibited ground for discrimination under the Canadian Human Rights Act, and to the list of distinguishing characteristics of “identifiable group” protected by the hate speech provisions of the Criminal Code.
These priorities draw heavily from our election platform commitments. The government’s agenda will be further articulated through Cabinet discussions and in the Speech from the Throne when Parliament opens.

I expect you to work closely with your Deputy Minister and his or her senior officials to ensure that the ongoing work of your department is undertaken in a professional manner and that decisions are made in the public interest. Your Deputy Minister will brief you on issues your department may be facing that may require decisions to be made quickly. It is my expectation that you will apply our values and principles to these decisions, so that issues facing your department are dealt with in a timely and responsible manner, and in a way that is consistent with the overall direction of our government.

Our ability, as a government, to successfully implement our platform depends on our ability to thoughtfully consider the professional, non-partisan advice of public servants. Each and every time a government employee comes to work, they do so in service to Canada, with a goal of improving our country and the lives of all Canadians. I expect you to establish a collaborative working relationship with your Deputy Minister, whose role, and the role of public servants under his or her direction, is to support you in the performance of your responsibilities.

In the coming weeks, the Privy Council Office (PCO) will be contacting you to set up a meeting with PCO officials, your Deputy Minister and the Prime Minister’s Office to further discuss your plans, commitments and priorities.

We have committed to an open, honest government that is accountable to Canadians, lives up to the highest ethical standards, and applies the utmost care and prudence in the handling of public funds. I expect you to embody these values in your work and observe the highest ethical standards in everything you do. When dealing with our Cabinet colleagues, Parliament, stakeholders, or the public, it is important that your behaviour and decisions meet Canadians’ well-founded expectations of our government. I want Canadians to look on their own government with pride and trust.

As Minister, you must ensure that you are aware of and fully compliant with the Conflict of Interest Act and Treasury Board policies and guidelines. You will be provided with a copy of Open and Accountable Government to assist you as you undertake your responsibilities. I ask that you carefully read it and ensure that your staff does so as well. I draw your attention in particular to the Ethical Guidelines set out in Annex A of that document, which apply to you and your staff. As noted in the Guidelines, you must uphold the highest standards of honesty and impartiality, and both the performance of your official duties and the arrangement of your private affairs should bear the closest public scrutiny. This is an obligation that is not fully discharged by simply acting within the law. Please also review the areas of Open and Accountable Government that we have expanded or strengthened, including the guidance on non-partisan use of departmental communications resources and the new code of conduct for exempt staff.

I know I can count on you to fulfill the important responsibilities entrusted in you. In turn, please know that you can count on me to support you every day in your role as Minister.

I am deeply grateful to have this opportunity to serve with you as we build an even greater country. Together, we will work tirelessly to honour the trust Canadians have given us.

Yours sincerely,

Prime Minister of Canada signature

Rt. Hon. Justin Trudeau, P.C., M.P.
Prime Minister of Canada

- See more at: http://pm.gc.ca/eng/minister-justice-and-attorney-general-canada-mandate-letter#sthash.SA0hVoR2.dpuf

bah, TL;DR! All I need to know is if this is legit legalized where man can grow his own without taking shit, or if this is just fake "legalized" where you can buy and possess but god help if you dare let that seed grow on its own! Either way we need that tax income i just don't like the semantic games people play.

This guy sounds awesome. He is actually talking about helping the canadian people and not just his corporate donors.

When does the EU finally jump on the legalisation train too!? :(

Soon enough I hope. Although Eastern Europe is behind in everything as always, so I imagine it will take a year or two more for us to do it compared to the average European country.

I'm actually quite sure at least like a third of our population thinks cannabis is as dangerous as heroin. There are still reefer madness-type news articles popping up every now and again. Cannabis scare stories. Holy jesus.

This is fantastic!

Now I just have to wait 15 years before Japan begins to decriminalize :(

My pipe dream is that he will repeal the change to the pardon system that the last government put in place. Then I could get rid of my criminal record in seven years instead of twelve. I highly doubt that this will be a priority, though. Ah well, you never know.

I've Truncated zee Mandate!

I have truncated the mandate in question (as well as bolded and underlined certain segments of text) to better reflect what I felt to be noteworthy in relation to the 'War on Drugs' and also a few other key issues.

Here we go:

Dear Ms. Wilson-Raybould:

I am honoured that you have agreed to serve Canadians as Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada.

We have promised Canadians a government that will bring real change – in both what we do and how we do it. Canadians sent a clear message in this election, and our platform offered a new, ambitious plan for a strong and growing middle class. Canadians expect us to fulfill our commitments, and it is my expectation that you will do your part in delivering on those promises to Canadians.

I expect Canadians to hold us accountable for delivering these commitments, and I expect all ministers to do their part – individually and collectively – to improve economic opportunity and security for Canadians.

It is my expectation that we will deliver real results and professional government to Canadians. To ensure that we have a strong focus on results, I will expect Cabinet committees and individual ministers to: track and report on the progress of our commitments; assess the effectiveness of our work; and align our resources with priorities, in order to get the results we want and Canadians deserve.

Our platform guides our government. Over the course of our four-year mandate, I expect us to deliver on all of our commitments. It is our collective responsibility to ensure that we fulfill our promises, while living within our fiscal plan. Other issues will arise or will be brought to our attention by Canadians, stakeholders, and the public service. It is my expectation that you will engage constructively and thoughtfully and add priorities to your agenda when appropriate.

As Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada, your overarching goal will be to ensure our legislation meets the highest standards of equity, fairness and respect for the rule of law. I expect you to ensure that our initiatives respect the Constitution of Canada, court decisions, and are in keeping with our proudest legal traditions. You are expected to ensure that the rights of Canadians are protected, that our work demonstrates the greatest possible commitment to respecting the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, and that our government seeks to fulfill our policy goals with the least interference with the rights and privacy of Canadians as possible.

In particular, I will expect you to work with your colleagues and through established legislative, regulatory, and Cabinet processes to deliver on your top priorities [which are as follows]:

-- Lead a process, supported by the Minister of Health, to work with provinces and territories to respond to the Supreme Court of Canada decision regarding physician-assisted death.

-- Working with the Ministers of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness and Health, create a federal-provincial-territorial process that will lead to the legalization and regulation of marijuana.

-- Undertake modernization efforts to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the criminal justice system, in cooperation with provinces and territories. This should include improved use of information technology to make the system more efficient and timely, exploration of sentencing alternatives and bail reform, and the creation of a unified family court.

-- Support the Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness in his efforts to repeal key elements of Bill C-51, and introduce new legislation that strengthens accountability with respect to national security and better balances collective security with rights and freedoms.

-- Support the Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness in his efforts to repeal key elements of Bill C-42 and implement our commitment to reduce the number of handguns and assault weapons on our streets.

-- Introduce government legislation to add gender identity as a prohibited ground for discrimination under the Canadian Human Rights Act, and to the list of distinguishing characteristics of “identifiable group” protected by the hate speech provisions of the Criminal Code.

I know I can count on you to fulfill the important responsibilities entrusted in you. In turn, please know that you can count on me to support you every day in your role as Minister.

I am deeply grateful to have this opportunity to serve with you as we build an even greater country. Together, we will work tirelessly to honour the trust Canadians have given us.

Yours sincerely,

Rt. Hon. Justin Trudeau, P.C., M.P.
Prime Minister of Canada

Could this guy be the real deal for Canada?! I mean, I honestly am not big on Marijuana, but I cannot stand for anyone who is to be considered a criminal solely because of their preference for the plant as a mind altering substance and/or medication.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed - please don't go back on your word Justin, we need you to help break this futile status quo and ridiculous taboo. Please keep your word to the end.

My fear is that something or someone is gonna get to him somehow, and that he'll ultimately re-neg on his most controversial campaign promises such as Marijuana legalization. Here's hoping I'm completely wrong!

As I write this, I believe he's still at the G20 meeting in Turkey. What's to stop (for example) Russian representatives from essentially (and very quietly) threatening him in some manner if he goes ahead with the legalization of Cannabis?

Any other fellow Canucks (or anyone for that matter) thinking sooner or later he'll go back on his word (perhaps out of fear for his own safety)? Oh man I'd be furious.

Look, I'm no conspiracy theorist, but the fact of the matter is that a lot of governments around the world stubbornly wish to continue a worldwide 'War on [certain] Drugs' despite the insanity of doing so, and they're willing to go to great lengths to ensure that it continues unabated.

Last edited:
I'm as worried as you are, ro4eva, and I believe he could be forced into backing down with that plan, but let me be the devil's advocate, so to speak, for a second. I have put my tinfoil hat on. Let's say that there is a big conspiracy and the word of the people doesn't matter, matters only money and power. Legalizing cannabis could provide addition to both. Tax revenue would go to the government and pretty likely big corporations would also have the money/power. The way I see it, they should actually want it if we forget about all that "morality/think of the children" thing. It would be logical for them to want it. Am I wrong? Did I miss something?

Honestly I've been puzzled by this. I don't really know how the world works, I'm not into politics or economics, but in my opinion they (governments and big corporations including BigPharma) could capitalize on legalization and regulation of drugs. How? Government - taxes, obvious. BigPharma - they'd most likely have the control and revenue from selling pharmaceutical rec. drugs like meth, oxy and so on. And whoever controls the big scale growing of cannabis, poppy and others.

I don't think I'm right, but don't you guys think there is this side to the whole thing and it's a little weird?

I'm as worried as you are, ro4eva, and I believe he could be forced into backing down with that plan, but let me be the devil's advocate, so to speak, for a second. I have put my tinfoil hat on. Let's say that there is a big conspiracy and the word of the people doesn't matter, matters only money and power. Legalizing cannabis could provide addition to both. Tax revenue would go to the government and pretty likely big corporations would also have the money/power. The way I see it, they should actually want it if we forget about all that "morality/think of the children" thing. It would be logical for them to want it. Am I wrong? Did I miss something?

I don't think you're wrong at all, nor that you've missed something. Whatever the case may be, I have no doubt that you are aware of how it inevitably tends to turn out when the typical present day western government's staunchly supported controversial policies are put on the spot by empirically sound, unbiased, contrasting, scientifically-backed evidence which calls for swift political reform: those same governments conveniently twiddle their thumbs, stick 'em up their collectives asses and promptly ignore whatever inconvenient truths undermine their political views and ideologies (or should I say vested interests), all of which are commonly influenced by their own personal religious views and (lack of) first-hand experiences, and all of which shouldn't be allowed and/or tolerated whatsoever in our Alcohol-embracing, 'Street Drug' user-stigmatizing society, lest (God forbid) we begin to emulate a draconian religious fundamentalist governing body such as those unfortunately affecting burdening much of the Middle-East.

At least, that's the conclusion I've come to believe based on my own experience which is partly a result of unsuccessfully attempting to get through to the elected officials formerly and also currently representing me and my fellow Canadians. But hey, perhaps I'm the one who's obtuse; perhaps it's me who has gotten "it" all wrong (yet if that's the case, then sadly for the life of me I can't see it) :( 8(

Last edited: