• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Practical MXE replacement

Feretile

Bluelighter
It is worth considering that MXE has 3 distinct pharmacological effects:

1)NMDA antagonist

2)Dopamine transport inhibitor (DRI)

3)mu agonist (opiate)

While I would not claim to be a close friend of the MXE designer, I did know them well enough to have been involved in the testing of desoxyprpradrol & MDPV as well as MXE and relatives. I was lucky enough to have been offered (and taken) a sample of (R) ketamine. (R) ketamine has NO NMDA antagonist activity whatsoever but is a DRI. It was produced (resolved from commercial ketamine AFAIK) I am sure that readers with a rough understanding of the arylcyclohexylamine class to understand why KNOWING action of the K isomers was of material benefit.
MXE was developed from PCP via the following step (i.e. the compounds were made and tested by about 50 people so that the SUBJECTIVE QSAR could be elucidated).:

1)4-MeO PCP. Logic - PCP has too much DRI activity i.e. too stimulating and studies noted that 4-MeO PCP had significantly less DRI activity, 4-MeO PCP had been produced and tested in animal models in the 1960s but no human trials are recorded. Importantly, acute toxicity was studied. While this in now way proves a compound to be non-toxic, it does make it a MUCH safer bet than testing a totally novel compound. Even so, initial tests were carried out at 1% of the ED50 suggested by literature (which is a standard figure). From these, metabolism could be studied.

2)3-MeO-PCP Logic - papers from the 1960s showed that 3-MeO PCP & 3-OH PCP had significant mu agonist activity (while retaining NMDA antagonist and some DRI activity) and the designer suspected that the 3-MeO in particular would not only imbue opioid activity but also suppress DRI activity as the 4-MeO derivative of PCP did).

3)MXE Logic - he addition of a 2-keto moiety was known to increase opiate activity and that the N-monoehtyl (and monomethyl) homologues of PCP derivatives were of similar potenct. The ketone moiety also lowers the LogP of the compound. This means that no pharmacologically significant amounts of the compound could be stored in fat tissue (PCP was known to be stored in fat and lead to post-event symptoms).
Now, this may seem like a VERY short development pipeline but of course the designer actually read every paper, every patent and every other resource that provided information. The designer was able to (and did) provide a detailed QSAR and metabolic pathway(s) for each candidate. Those who know the designer will appreciate that they were formally educated to a level that allowed them to formally develop.
At this point, I think it's important the point out that the designer was well aware of what industrial resources were available. In some ways the 3-OH derivative would have been the more obvious option BUT the synthesis was somewhat more complex and would likely proceed via the 3-MeO. MXE can be produced by any supplier who was producing ketamine. As chemists will know, ketamine synthesis is relatively complex (compared to most RCs) and the low cost of ketamine is due to the fact that each step has been optimised. For a ketamine supplier to produce MXE requires only 1 precursor to be changed and the substitution is to an equally cheap and equally available chemical.
As a side note, QSAR data suggests that the N-methyl homologue of MXE should have significantly more opiate activity although it's NMDA activity (and so, I suppose, it's perceived overall activity) would be lower. I have never sampled it nor sought data but if anyone is in a position to comment, I would appreciate input.
A few years ago when I was datamining, I looked at the original ketamine patent and went through an exhaustive list of related patents. What I noted was that while the vast majority of patents attempt to cover as many compounds as possible, Parke Davis had patented a SINGLE compound to whit 5-methoxy ketamine i.e. 2-chloro-5-methoxy.
To be clear, ketamine's IUPAC name is:

2-(2-Chlorophenyl)-2-(methylamino)cyclohexanone

So the derivative's IUPAC name is:
2-(2-chloro-5-methoxyphenyl)-2-(methylamino)cyclohexan-1-one
It is important to note that while ketamine derivatives are chiral, all of these compounds are the racemes of all enantiomers.

This is very unusual. While the cost of a patent is not great for a large company, it does tie up a lot of resources and so the researchers must have convinced the legal department to spend the time and money seeking a patent. It would have also occupied the development team for some time. In short, they must have been convinced that said derivative had significant COMMERCIAL advantages. Never forget that whatever else, the compound was patented with a view to making a profit.

While I have to admit that I cannot recall the exact date of the latter patent, it was certainly a decade or more later and so people were producing ketamine commercially and so an improved derivative (carrying it's own patent) that could be produces with minimum retooling would be a significant commercial success.

If people wonder why this derivative did not succeed, well I have no simple answer but I suggest that it was simply because ketamine was so successful and so much work had been carried out on it's development that a new compound (regardless of similarity, the development cycle would be just as complex, time consuming and costly) was not deems cost effective.

For those seeking to understand it's NMDA antagonist activity, I suggest that people regard 8A-PDHQ which provides the active conformation of PCP) and then MK-801 (dizocilpine) which provides the exact relationship between the aromatic ring and the N: (I forget X,Y,Z but the angle is 107.5°. I Believe that further research showed that 107.5 is optimal although the research was carried out in the 1980s and so modern techniques (such as the use of radionucleotides) have reduced the granularity of such testing.

So, in short, the designer of MXE found the optimal compound. Not the most potent, not the simplest to synthesize and certainly not the cheapest BUT a safe, reliable product that even benefitted from concepts such as improvements to the synthesis of ketamine could almost certainly be applied to MXE.

But it is important to note that while PCP and ketamine and MXE are all arylcyclohexylamine derivatives, their is no necessity for them to be so. As the name of the class suggests, the only fixed moiety is the cyclohexyl and their is a body of research proving that there are bioisostesrs. Of course, the synthesis of these analogues (beyond the original research papers) has yet to be scales.

I am sure many people will suppose this to be an oversimplification but the KEY thing is that the only function of the cyclohexyl moiety is to produce a non-rotatable (rigid) bond between the aryl and the amine's lone-pair (N:). It MAY also provide some measure of space-filling which improves affinity although their are other NMDA antagonists that suggest that this is not a requirement. Conversely, the 2-keto moiety seen in ketamine, MXE and tiletamine most certainly DOES increase affinity and since simple alkyl groups (such as the methyl moiety of gacyclidine) DOES increase affinity. Singe both alkyl and keto moieties by similar amounts, it suggests space-filling rather than electronic character.

HOWEVER, the 2-keto moiety significantly increases opiate (mu) affinity of the scaffold. This is a good example of how complex balancing the 3 different activities can be. In passing it is worth mentioning that substitution of the cyclohexyl ring as it pertains to DRI activity has not been studied. Safe to say that compound such as benocyclidine are very potent and have a very steep dose-response curve (to the extant that while it is rarely encountered, it has been connected to a number of deaths). There is very little data on this subject and seemingly very little research. Even obvious homologues have not been synthesized.

So, putting aside the practical synthesis of a hypothetical compound, what size and type of training-set would be appropriate in the search for a compound that is a balances:

a)NMDA antagonist.
b)mu (opiate) agonist.
c)DRI antagonist (dopamine transport inhibitor).

That is QUITE a task. With that in mind, I offer a compound known to be a reasonably potent mu (opiate) agonist, NMDA antagonist and DRI. Sadly, it's development was something of an afterthought. The lead chemist was simply asked to produce a compound with (ideally) identically activity to an existing agent BUT that was not covered by any patents.

You will notice that I have only shown one of the 2 active (trans) isomers. The (1R,2S) isomer is a mu (opiate) agonist with a potency about x2 morphine (based on LogP & Ki). The (1S,2R) isomer is an NMDA antagonist with a potency around x2 ketamine (bases on LogP and Ki). Now, although no mention of DRI activity is stated, subjective accounts suggest DRI activity, the compound overlays camfentamine and (more elucidatory) isonortilidine overlays cypenamine.

I am quite prepared to admit that the last couple of paragraphs are based on new research but if one looks at the patent 'CYCLOALIPHATIC COMPOUNDS, ANALGESC COMPOSITIONS THEREOF AND METHOD OF USE THEREOF AS ANALGESCS' Glaxo Group 1979 (US 4,291,059) then their IS quite a lot of detail. I actually managed to contact Derek P. Reynolds, the medicinal chemist who designed the series of compounds and so I gained some valuable insights. One is that the bond-angle of the cyclohexene (nortilidine) and the cyclopentane (isonortilidine_ are very similar (but not identical). The positions of the N: are not identical (but similar).

When I say one can infer much detail from papers, an example would be that in the INT patent, one analogue listed is the m-OCH3 & m-OH. So what, I here you ask. Well, that suggests the orientation OF that ring while it overlays the A-ring of morphine. As far as I can tell, the cyclohezene/cyclopentane ring found in (nor)tilidine and INT does not overlay any of the rings found in morphine (although if I am wrong - please tell me. I would be GLAD to be wrong).

I could embark on a long diatribe but I will note two things. The amine moiety of opiates, while necessary, can appear in what initially seem to be unlikely places. In the case of tilidine, it is worth overlaying the A ring & N:. with morphine. You will discover that the cyclohexene (or cyclopentane in INT) while not overlaying a ring, do not present any biosteric bulk. In essence, it's just about the simplest chemical that will bridge the aromatic and the lone-pair.

I think cypenamine is sufficient for people to work on overlays but the NMDA activity is more complex. It is known that their are several sites within the NMDA receptor that will produce agonist and/or antagonist effects. I think it reasonable to suggest that diphenidine (and relatives) bind in a similar manner. Of course, known diphenidine homologues are both mu (opiate) agonists (e.g. lefetamine) and DRIs (pyrophenidine).

So, I hope others with more knowledge and ability will add.

Last edited:
BTW if people ask WHY I posted, it's because I know from experience that their is a low of creativity in the field of medicinal chemistry and so I am opening a dialogue in the hope that it will provide others with new ideas so that they can suggest novel compounds (and the synthesis of said compounds).

FYI fencamfamine (and moreso camfentamine) are known to have mu (opiate) activity. in fact, in case of suspected fencamfamine overdose, naloxone is listed as a specific treatment.

Given that fencamfamine is an opiate (although I suggest not potent), it does provide another member of a potential training-set of mu/NMDA/DRI compounds. I guess the MOST obvious compound is:

Note that it is the SECONDARY amine's that are active. In the case of tilidine, INT and fencamfamine, only the secondary amines have significant mu (opiate) activity).

Now, I am sure people will recognise that bridged-ring with another class of opioid. In essence, in all cases, the ring's function is primarily to provide a non-rotatable (rigid) bond. Space-filling MAY be an element, but I suggest that increased lipophilicity is more significant.

Again, I have listed the 5+1 key moieties for optiates an fragments (actives less that 15 methylenes in length) and in the case of nortilidine:

1) alpha aromatic (a ring of morphine)
2) oxygen lone-pair
3) nitrogen lone-pair

Given that it ONLY has 3, the aromatic-N: position must be VITAL.

BTW the people who developed tilidine went on to develop isotilidine which was initially listed as an opiate some x30 morphine. It turns out that it was a potent neuroleptic. The animals didn't respond to pain because they were zoned out, not because they didn't feel pain. VERY low moral standards.

Indeed.

I am still fascinated by the MXE and by (nor)tilidine scaffold. So tiny but with so much going on.

Given that fencamfamine is known to have opiate activity. I think it reasonable to suggest that the bridged cyclohexane ring is a bioisostere for the cyclohexene/ I was going to suggest that it is also a bioisostere for a cyclopentane but of course, it IS a cyclopentane..... simply with a second cyclopentane bonded to it!

There is 1 very open question - just HOW potent is INT? Now, the patent SUGGESTS that it is the same potency as nortilidine. Unusual because I cannot find a single example in which reversing the ester doesn't increase the potency significantly. I talked to the desiginer of isotilidine and he explained that it was simple to complete his academic studies. He designed it and moved on. The actual synthesis and testing were carried out by others.

Wouldn't it be amazing if it turned out that reversing the ester has a similar effect on potency as pethidine ---> MPPP.

Indeed.

I am still fascinated by the MXE and by (nor)tilidine scaffold. So tiny but with so much going on.

Given that fencamfamine is known to have opiate activity. I think it reasonable to suggest that the bridged cyclohexane ring is a bioisostere for the cyclohexene/ I was going to suggest that it is also a bioisostere for a cyclopentane but of course, it IS a cyclopentane..... simply with a second cyclopentane bonded to it!

There is 1 very open question - just HOW potent is INT? Now, the patent SUGGESTS that it is the same potency as nortilidine. Unusual because I cannot find a single example in which reversing the ester doesn't increase the potency significantly. I talked to the desiginer of isotilidine and he explained that it was simple to complete his academic studies. He designed it and moved on. The actual synthesis and testing were carried out by others.

Wouldn't it be amazing if it turned out that reversing the ester has a similar effect on potency as pethidine ---> MPPP. If it turned out to increase potency by an order of magnitude, it would be WELL worth finding a synthesis (and trust me, I have spent a decade trying to find a route). 7.5x morphine IS quite possible. The attention to the placement and direction of the N: is VERY extensive. A HARD synthesis and WHY? Got to be a reason..

Isn't MXE also a SSRI, and the mu affinity more related to metabolism into 3-HO-PCE? Might well be that they had the paper wrong though. The 3-HO ones are distinctly insimilar though to MXE/DCK etc. in my experience. Of course more than one factor, MXE and DCK were quite different from each other as well but what all HOs share is mu and I don't like them. Might be different now that I'm off morphine though.

I'm amazed by your thoughtwork about MXE. Hope I'll be able to sample these compounds any day soon :love:

Cool cool, honestly, I don't understand much if anything tbh, but i appreciate that you're sharing this with us.

What are your thoughts about MXM, Methoxmetamine, which is a rare but nevertheless very interesting compound?

I had 1-2 batches of that stuff, must've been around 2013-14, as far as I remember...good stuff, but strangely haven't seen it becoming more widely available, let alone popular, even after MXE got banned almost everywhere!

Isn't MXE also a SSRI, and the mu affinity more related to metabolism into 3-HO-PCE? Might well be that they had the paper wrong though. The 3-HO ones are distinctly insimilar though to MXE/DCK etc. in my experience. Of course more than one factor, MXE and DCK were quite different from each other as well but what all HOs share is mu and I don't like them. Might be different now that I'm off morphine though.

I'm amazed by your thoughtwork about MXE. Hope I'll be able to sample these compounds any day soon :love:

Well of course the CYP2D6 enzyme will O-deprotect the 3-Methoxy into the 3-hydroxy (although 'hydroxy' is technically incorrect since it is on an aromatic so it is a phenolic moiety). Maybe the metabolite has SRI activity, but I haven't read any reference as such.

I suggest one reason that MXE is so pleasurable is because it's effects are mediated by at least 2 actives with the levels of each change as metabolism takes place. That is why I applied the term 'dynamic'. The ratio of the 4 actives is not static.

Someone mentioned gacyclidine which is an example of the 3-keto moiety found in K, MXE and tiletamine being substituted for a methyl. There proved to have a much higher affinity for the NMDA receptor but obviously it doubles the number of enantiomers. If memory serves, these homologues have an affinity suggesting that overall potency would not suffer but with 3 isomers possessing unidentified activity, it's hard to know if it would be pleasurable or more importantly, safe. Animal models are bad at predicting if a compound is 'nice' and especially if it's pleasurable effects are NMDA mediated.

But I hope I highlighted the fact that practical synthesis is a cornerstone. The 1,2-diarylethylamine class (diphenjidine being the parent compound) also possesses NMDA antagonist/mu agonist/DRI activity but so far nobody has fully elucidated the QSAR and so finding an example with the appropriate ratio between the 3 activities is rather tricky. Note that the bond-angle between the aryl and N: is the same as the ACAs.
What I CAN state is that the amine substitution of the 1,2-diarylamines follows the QSAR of PCP rather than ketamine/tiletamine. The N-isopropyl represents the most potent in terms of NMDA antagonist activity. An o-Cl seems to increase opioid activity BUT a 5-MeO ha no effect on activity. Or, rather, it REDUCES activiy.

It is well work looking into MK-801 (dizocilipine) which further refines the precise orientation of aryl-N:.

But, while interesting in theory, unless you can MAKE a given compound safely, cleanly and economically then it's pretty much irrelevant. The MXE designer leveraged the fact that at the time ketamine was being made in 1000Kg batches, there were dozens of manufacturers and the price of ketamine had thus been reduced to about $600/Kg. Even if the synthesis pipeline had to be stopped while MXE was produced. it's easy to see that the makers could EASILY charge $4000/Kg and make a truly amazing profit. Most other RCs are made by 1 lab and the details of synthesis are kept within the company. I know for a fact that it took the Chinese over a year to produce Pyrazolam and they still could not make it as cheaply as the original team. The original team had the appropriate papers and patents, you see.

As a rule of thumb, an RC synthesis should be 3 simple, high-yielding steps or less. Of course their are exceptions but U-47700 was a huge success because it could be made in a single step from commercially available precursors. Exceptions are things like CB1 ligands (for example) due to their extreme potency. The designer also suggested CP 47,497 to the people who eventually made 'Spice' when the actives hadn't bee identified. It represented the greatest activity for complexity and there are numerous homologues so if 1 was banned, they could swap to another withijn 24 hours.

On the CP 47,497 front, I wasable to suggest something to the designer:

To be clear, I am not posting this to show off. I do so to demonstrate that the addiction of a 'magic methyl' (a term used when a slight modification has a significant effect) not only increases affinity by 2 orders of magnitude, but also means that such analogues will not fall under some nations laws automatically (nations that use Mekule structures to define theoretically controlled compounds. It IS somewhat more complex to make but once mastered, it provides a huge number of extra homologues.

So, in the case of an MXE replacement, either someone REALLY compiles a proper QSAR of the 1,2-diarylethylamine class or someone finds a reasonable synthetic pathway that allows the 4-thiane bioisosteres of the arylcyclohexylamine class. Since their are papers on the latter, that seems more appropriate. After all, recent research has resulted in a ketamine synthesis that uses cyclohexaanone as the source of the cyclohexyl moiety and so an obvious starting point is to adapt that strep to use thiane-4-one. There IS reference so we KNOW it works.

The EJoMC shows that the 4-thiane moeity really does act as a bioisostere of the cyclohexane and so researchers can, with some degree of confidence, produce legal analogues of ketamine, MXE, tiletamine and so on.

I might add that benocyclidine did turn up in fake MDMA tablets and resulted in a number of casualties. I remember one or two people receiving samples and noting the steep dose-response curve and acute toxicity. That it ended up in fake tablets strongly suggests that someone had ordered quite a lot and sold it on just to get rid of it. This is far too common. A lot of very dangerous junk ends up ion the street because people don't care for end users.

OT sometimes it's worth just looking at what chemicals are available. I noted that 2-[(2-hydroxy-2-phenylethyl)amino]-2-methylpropan-1-ol is used in topical skin treatments BUT dehydration leads to G130 (a phenmetrazine analogue). There is no way that G130 was a practical target if it took 3 steps, but 1 made it possible. As it turned out it wasn't orally active and we were not keen on marketing things that were for parenteral administration..... but there are a few quite amazing ones. A legal opioid (mentioned in 'Opiates' by Lenz et al) some x600 morphine that is 3 simple steps from a commercially available precursor.... nothing clever, only effort.

I posted mostly to get other chemists thinking. I mean, the MXE and isomprtilidine scaffolds are SMALL and the non-aromatic (olifinic in some cases) 5 or 6-memnere ring is most likely just space-filling. It provides non-rotatable (rigid) bonds.

After all, if it's going to be as potent as morphine (presuming the trans pair is used) as a mu agonist, as potent as methoxetamine as an NMDA antagonist (and being non-phenolic, cannot be an antagonist) with potency around that of K and a DRI with similar potency to cypenamine then it would appear to be a rich compound.

After all, MOST ligands with a single activity have a higher MW

O< GIVEN THAT fencamfamine also seems to be a good lead:

Although it is a fragment (less than 15 methylenes long) and only has 3 of the5 key moieties, it would appear that an M potency agent with NMDA & DRI activity is possible.

Is it cheap? No. Other, less elegant compounds would be more profitable but I have posted patents and I have discussed designes with the Glaxo medicinal chemist so I KNOW that a lot of deep thought went into the design.

Aside from rampant speculation I've never seen any actual data supporting the claim that MXE has MOR activity. And I highly doubt it does, as I've used it in high doses for weeks on end and experienced essentially no symptoms of physical withdrawal. Wallach did binding assays with 28 different ACHs and the only one with significant affinity for MOR was 3-HO-PCP.

With respect to the NMDA receptor, most binding assays are using brain homogenates to determine the Ki. The problem with this is that you lose information, as there's not one unique type of NMDA receptor (there are four possible GluN2-containing diheteromers and as many as 12 GluN2-containing triheteromers). The computations performed by a region of the brain will determine the makeup of the NMDA receptors expressed there. For example, GluN2C-containing NMDA receptors are responsible for elevations in cortical glutamate release while GluN2A and GluN2B-containing NMDA receptors are responsible for the working memory deficits. My guess is that ACHs lacking a substituted aryl (e.g. DCK and O-PCE) have an increased GluN2B affinity relative to MXE/Ketamine, as I've found these to be much more stupefying.

The only ACH that has had affinities measured for each of the diheteromeric NMDA receptors is ketamine, but ideally you could perform the same experiment with MXE and a battery of novel ACHs. I would wager that whichever of these novel ACHs has the least deviation from MXE's relative affinities at these 4 diheteromers would subjectively feel the most like MXE. Yes MXE does bind to SERT but my guess is that the principal effects on 5-HT release are primarily mediated by a network effect, so I don't think replicating the SERT activity should be the main priority.

Likewise for the DRI claim, this has actually been looked at in a paper by Roth and they found no DAT affinity for MXE. Any effects MXE has on DA release (which it most certainly does affect) would be mediated by a network effect. And again, these network effects are going to be determined by its affinities at the various permutations of the NMDA receptor.

^^^ this seems inline with what I've read too.

I like your enthusiasm about an opioid/nmdar antagonist/DRI though.

Is the 5ring isonortilidine a typo? The double bond is required for mu activity though.

Indeed.

Wouldn't it be amazing if it turned out that reversing the ester has a similar effect on potency as pethidine ---> MPPP.
Ime nor MXE or Camfetamine had noticeable Mu-receptor action. Or they were overpowered?

Nor-Tilidine, or I should say Tilidine fascinates me since reading Christiane F.. They call it Valeron in the book. Take with a grain of sand as she also preffered Ephedrine over Captagon/ Phenethylline, which is a bit weird.
But it is rumored to have an rush even when taken oral.

Tramadol, which effect's I don't agree with/ dirty drug, does have an noticeable effect on NMDA ime. Apart from the MU receptor agonism of o-DSMT. Which can take up to 2 hours to start manifesting.

But its Serotonin and Nor-Epinephrine efficiency's blunt it to a chemical cocktail. Imo dMXE was real close to MXE. But also devoid of noticeable MU effect's. Both do feel like mild stimulant's in vivo. Sleeping while under influence seemed futile.

But your knowledge on this is way beyond mine, so you wanna reply from someone at least as far as you. But Tramadol's NMDA antagonism surprised me. They are handed out like candy.

ohnson N, Itzhak Y, Pasternak GW (1984). "Interaction of two phencyclidine opiate-like derivatives with 3H-opioid binding sites". Eur. J. Pharmacol. 101 (3–4): 281–4. doi:10.1016/0014-2999(84)90171-7. PMID 6088255.

If you don't look, you don't find - opiate activity.

That's not about MXE though...? It's about two PCP variants. Am i missing something?

To my knowledge MXE isn't significantly opioid, but has some SRI activity.

Ime nor MXE or Camfetamine had noticeable Mu-receptor action. Or they were overpowered?
As said, it's probably from the 3-HO-2'-Oxo-PCE metabolite. there's some paper describing the complex metabolism of MXE and 3-HO is one of the metabolites. That said, I loved MXE but couldn't get warm with 3-HO-PCE which I awaited anxiously but bummer. Might have had to do with me being on morphine (or metha, don't remember), so if there's something special about the arylies' opioid mechanism then it might have been blocked but I read similar reviews from others.

Afaik does or might NMDA antagonism so or so lead to increased output of endorphins, deltorphins, and probably also dynorphins, so each one has some opioid-ergic effects if this is true.

Tilidine is fun. I only had it when I inherited some box of medicines in France, wanted to get wasted and took tiagabine, pregabalin, lorazepam and tilidine (basically a 'GABA bomb' with some opioid activity) but the result was a full-on CEV psychedelic trip but in an unique style. I forgot most of it but the colors blue and pink were dominating. Was dissociative as well, as I was lying in my bed and when closing the eyes I forgot about having a body. Don't remember the dosages unfortunately but it's great fun.

Camfetamine I didn't manage to try, was sold out too soon before it spot my attention.

Last edited:
Yes, sad that they sold only such small quantities of camphetamine in the day.

As said, it's probably from the 3-HO-2'-Oxo-PCE metabolite. there's some paper describing the complex metabolism of MXE and 3-HO is one of the metabolites. That said, I loved DXM but couldn't get warm with 3-HO-PCE which I awaited anxiously but bummer. Might have had to do with me being on morphine (or metha, don't remember), so if there's something special about the arylies' opioid mechanism then it might have been blocked but I read similar reviews from others.

Afaik does or might NMDA antagonism so or so lead to increased output of endorphins, deltorphins, and probably also dynorphins, so each one has some opioid-ergic effects if this is true.

Tilidine is fun. I only had it when I inherited some box of medicines in France, wanted to get wasted and took tiagabine, pregabalin, lorazepam and tilidine (basically a 'GABA bomb' with some opioid activity) but the result was a full-on CEV psychedelic trip but in an unique style. I forgot most of it but the colors blue and pink were dominating. Was dissociative as well, as I was lying in my bed and when closing the eyes I forgot about having a body. Don't remember the dosages unfortunately but it's great fun.

Camfetamine I didn't manage to try, was sold out too soon before it spot my attention.

As you say< most likely the -OH metabolite. Of course, their ARE known bioisosteres of the phenolic moiety. Papers on 8CAC show that a carrboxamine (-CONH2) is almost equally active but interestingly, MP Wentland (the discoverer of 8CAC) actually used high-throughput screening to develop derivatives of the carboxamine that had much greater affinity. Since he only carried out the work on cyclazocine derivatives, their is no way to know if it's general or specific.

There were several reports on nortilidine on LandeDeTraume which were detailed. I think it's fair to say that tilidine is a prodrug for ALL 3 activities. That suggests that the tilidine scaffold's QSAR is likely to follow that of ketamine more than PCP (N-substitutions being quite distinct between the two. In both the tilidine & isotilidine patents, the N-ethyl derivatives were covered which makes me wonder if increased NMDA activity meant that their analgesic activity was significant. I do not think at the time (1960s/1970s) that any work on separating mu & NMDA activity were separated. They did not, for example, give test animals naloxone to test the analgesia derived from NMDA activity. Likewise, no work was carried out to test DRI activity. I believe such action has now been confirmed but initially it was purely reports that noted significant stimulant activity.

Quite amazing when you consider that it's 16 carbons, 2 oxygens, 1 nitrogen and 21 hydrogens. it's SMALL. Isotilidine is even smaller but again, reports suggest the same ratio of activities.

I suggest that their is significant hydrogen-bonding between the N: and the C=O: which seems key to DRI activity (and possibly mu activity). I do not know if this action has any effects in NMDA activity.

But I think, for people considering nortilidine & isonortilidine, the 2 compounds overlay perfectly and both cyclohexene & cyclopentane are rigid - or rather the lowest energy conformation is SIGNIFICANTLY lower.

The only other class (I know of) that has all 3 activities is the 1,2-diarylethylamines and they have not been researched anywhere near enough. We never tried adding a ketone to the alpha carbon, we didn't try ring-substitution of the beta benzene, we didn't try all of the ring-substitution of the alpha carbon and we didn't try many amines (piperidine, pyrrolidine, monoethyl, monoisopropyl). What this class has in it's favour is synthetic simplicity.

In fact, their are so many possible analogues and their synthesis is so convenient that someone could easily ape Shulgin and produce a book covering a lot of those possible analogues.

The beta aromatic, for example could have a p-Me moiety which is known to increase DRI activity thus:

https://ibb.co/9nTnJk8

Don't forget, Parke Davis had the lab, the time, the expertise and the work was INVESTMENT into the development of agents that would eventually produce a huge profit. MOST drugs never reach the market for one reason or another but this is expected and worked into their budgets. RC manufacturers cannot suffer so many failures. That is why almost all RCs are the development or just the modification of existing agents. Wile the 1,2-diarylethylamines had been studied in the 1960s, it was a 2007 patent that listed diphenidine along with the various other compounds known to work that meant investment was considered......

But if anyone can find an elegant route to INT then that would be amazing - it's a VERY tough target. 1-phenyl-1-cyclopentene is, I believe, is the only reasonable start-point. That is why camfentamine derivatives are of interest- they use TOTALLY different synthetic steps and possible more reasonable routes.... but as it is, they are not viable targets.

Same here. With mxe at least the desmethyl metabolite has mu activity but Not mxe itself i believe.
Maybe the dosages of Camfetamine were to low. But there was so little info on it which kept me from raising them.

The tolerance I must have had due to taking dextro-Amphetamine daily also played a role. But as far as stim's go it was mild.