• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Potentiating Tramadol (the technical way)

delphinen

Bluelighter
Internet said:
Tramadol is a fully-synthetic opioid pro-drug with SSNRI activity. Upon ingestion, the digestive cytochrome enzymes - the cytochrome P450 family specifically - metabolize Tramadol into five distinct compounds. O-Desmethyltramadol, one of the five, has a markedly high affinity for the µ-opioid receptor, far more so than Tramadol itself. The same enzymes that convert Tramadol to its 5 metabolites, cytochrome P450, ionize these metabolites for water-soluble excretion. Therefore, the metabolism of Tramadol revolves entirely around the metabolic activity of cytochrome P450 in the liver.

Cimetidine (Tagamet) is a potent inhibitor of the cytochrome P450 enzyme, in addition to acting as a pH neutralizer. Therefore, if one were to ingest cimetidine prior to ingestion of Tramadol, one would likely experience a reduction of effects. However, if one were to wait until ingested Tramadol had time to be converted to its metabolites (30-180 mins), the ionization of the metabolites of Tramadol should be inhibited. This would be expected to enhance and prolong the effects of Tramadol at the µ-opioid receptor considerably. In sum, in order to potentiate the effects of Tramadol with cimetidine, timing and sequence is key.
In addition, subsequent to regular administration of recommended doses of cimetidine, the liver will up-regulate the expression of the enzymes responsible for converting Tramadol to its more potent metabolites. In other words, after ingesting cimetidine for a regular interval of time, one will become more sensitive to the effects of Tramadol. It should be noted, however, that this dynamic would render an individual less sensitive to other non-synthetic and semi-synthetic opiates over time.
This method should produce no anticipated ill-effects, as the magnitude of effects will never exceed the SSNRI activity inherent to the initial dose ingested. So long as one takes care not to initially ingest too-high a dose, this method of potentiation will not enhance SSNRI activity – rather, it should selectively enhance µ-opioid activity because it's the metabolites, not Tramadol, that are being enhanced.

And checking Wikipedia on M1...

Wikipedia said:
O-Desmethyltramadol is an opioid analgesic and the main active metabolite of tramadol.[1]

(+)-O-Desmethyltramadol is the most important metabolite of tramadol produced in the liver after tramadol is consumed. This metabolite is considerably more potent as a μ opioid agonist than the parent compound.[2]

Tramadol is demethylated by the liver enzyme CYP2D6[3] in the same way as codeine, and so similarly to the variation in effects seen with codeine, individuals who have a less active form of CYP2D6 ("poor metabolisers") will tend to get reduced analgesic effects from tramadol.

Do you guys think this is correct? it makes sense, since Tramadol has become M1, it should be powered by Cimetidine as any other opioid that is enhanced by CYP2D6, what do you think?

I look forward to reading that when sober, sounds really interesting :)

May do well in ADD if you have a decent pharmacology/chenistry knowledge?

Thanks for posting :)

For the sake of science (?):

With an empty stomach, drinking only Pepsi/Coke:

8.45: did 300mg Tramadol and 4mg of Diazepam

9 o'clock: did 300mg more of Tramadol

9.15: did 200mg more of Tramadol and 4mg of Diazepam

9.45: did 400mg of Cimetidine

10.45: The effects of Tramadol seems to have diminished, I feel more cold, but it's weird, I also nod-like easily... maybe the effects of M1+Cimetidine takes loner to power up? in any case, I'm doing 200mg more of Tramadol and 2mg more of Diazepam. I'll try to keep this updated.

12: It's very difficult to describe the feelings because it's totally subjective, but now I can assure that, if not enhanced the opioid feeling (pleasure specially on my legs), it appears now that the Cimetidine did not diminished the pleasure. I feel more relaxed than every Tramadol trip, but for some reason I also feel cold.

Last edited:
am going to shift this over to OD, although feel free to shift it up to ADD if I am wrong.

Wow...be careful taking that much tramadol in one 24hr period (esp. w/such a short dosing interval). Although you're also taking some diazepam at the same time (I assume with your diazepam dosage, that you are taking it to prevent adverse reactions, i.e. seizures), I've seen a couple of people in status epilepticus from less tramadol than that.
I'm just saying...please be careful.

Okay, I'm bringing an old thread back, I guess. I just dosed 150mg tramadol 40 minutes after taking 25mg benadryl and .5mg clonazepam. Then 20 minutes after taking the tramadol I took 300mg cimetidine (sp?) and I will update with results.