POST YOUR RECORDINGS HERE! (not just for amateurs - also for labels/websites!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use an adaptor on my mics and go in to the mic/lin in jac myself, although my roomie has an awesome 16 input motu brand interface that he doesn't know how to use and I covet it!!!

Guys my band just started updating our webpage...it's sorta bare at the moment, BUT we did add several recent versions of our songs (although the first 2 are old versions of the songs, but still decent). Anyhow, I'd love for you to hear what we have been up to.

www.rahu-ketu.com

And by the way, if anyone lives in the NY/NJ area, we are playing a show this Saturday in Montclair NJ. PM for details if you'd be so kind to come see us.

Originally posted by CatfishRivers
Originally posted by spinkle
you know you want to be Grant Hart, just admit it!

New Day Rising!

I just wanted to say I hate you guys. :X

:D

CatfishRivers said:
I use an adaptor on my mics and go in to the mic/lin in jac myself, although my roomie has an awesome 16 input motu brand interface that he doesn't know how to use and I covet it!!!

yeah, but i seriously doubt you use a high quality phantom powered condenser mic. It just wont work. I still havent tried going through a preamp...Though i doubt that would work. You cant send this kind of signal through anything when the final output is reduced down to 1/8"...it will sound like crap even if it did work, making the whole process self defeating.

So just get a cheaper mic then...I use some basic shure mics and everything sounds great to me. Do you really need to use such a high power mic with what you are doing? Or is it just the mic that you happen to have?

off grid is tremendous; electric sheep is cool, but the background organ part is too subtle in a lot of places and the effect is kind of lost. i'd like to hear a slightly different mix of it

Last edited:
CatfishRivers said:
So just get a cheaper mic then...I use some basic shure mics and everything sounds great to me. Do you really need to use such a high power mic with what you are doing? Or is it just the mic that you happen to have?

once you use conderser mics, there's no going back...for recording..I use sures for live.

I feel like such an ameture piece of shit compared to some of the music on here. I liked all of those songs Catfish. Seriously. No buttering up needed. I dont know if you are AZN, but had a real eastern feel to it. Very surreal and dreamy. Me likey

And a really cool pic for the site.

the ART StudioV3 has 48V phantom power, if that will help. It retails for around $100, i got mine for $70 at Sam Ash by nicely complaining they were out of cheaper models.

im not that techno savvy. how do i plug it into a laptop that has only 1/8" inputs? That looks like something i might get, thanks.

there are 1/4 inch out on the preamp, so all you'd need to do is get a 1/4-inch-to1/8-inch adapter from radioshack. you'll only be able to record in mono, but it's extremely easy to convert sample types in most audio packages, so that shouldn't be a problem. (though it may be annoying while recording)

personally i use my old tascam 4-track as a mixer and dump the stereo line-out into my soundcard via an rca-to-1/8-inch cable, so if you've got one of those puppies sitting around it could come in handy.

^yeah right. I sold off almost everything i own for drugs. bleh. I used to have a Boss BR-1600 for recording. I think im just going to have to suck it up, and start putting money aside for a new soundcard for my main comp....one with a 1/4in and out. I dont see any other option that i would want to deal with. Thanks for the info though. I still might buy that mic preamp, and one of those "preamp" type things to get the most out of your tube, without blasting the volume.

Well my band played our show Saturday night despite torential rains and massive flooding...there weren't all that many people there, but the folks that came all seemed to like us alot. One guy was a recording engineer who wants to record us! So that was cool, and he said he had some connection to a couple of guys making an independent film that was somehow connected to HBO. So, there might be some soundtrack work in my future! I hope this guy wasn't full of it. He was totally sober, so that's alwasy a good sign ;) I guess we'll just have to see what pans out.

Thanks to those who listened to my band's songs...those are all just rehearsal takes, and not really the best ones either. We'll put better takes up soon...

AxL BLaZe said:
I never had problems singing and playing. because IMO it is fairly easy to sing and play drums. it is also easy to play bass and sing. prolly because they are both "rhythmical" instruments.

That depends on how you play the instrument I guess. I have never really played the bass as being stuck in the rhythm section. I tend to always find a way to write a meoldy line of some sort, while still miantaining the role of the instrument. Even on the drums, my parts are rarely repetative enough for me to sing with ease.

I should revise my statement to that I can sing and play when I play simple stuff. When I get all proggy, that is when I find it too difficult to sing and play at this point in time. But I agree with everyone about not selling yourself short by saying something is too hard to do. I always try to push myself musically past my abilites. I'm always trying to be much better than I really am.

spinkle said:
push hard

me solo, electric guitar with one vocal (whispered).

Spinkle...I like your voice. You did a good job of creating a dynamic sense to your voice despite the whisper singing. I'd stick with that technique for the vocals for this song, at least over that main riff that continues throughout the song. The two go well together. As for the guitar, I would like to hear this song more if it were played on an acoustic guitar. I think it would better compliment your voice on this track, as well as better complimenting the rhythmic placement of your vocal line. I feel that the distortion cascades out too far into the same sonic space as the vocals. An acoustic would better fit the feel of the piece for me too. Dunno if you have access to an acoustic, but if you do I'd love to hear another version of this song.

As for the structure of the song, I think you could use another part that changes up the feel and flow of the song for a bit. It doesn't need to be something with more lyrics, it could be a small instrumental change up that links verses, or perhaps some sort of instrumental middle? Just an idea...

Good work. I wanna hear some more.

Finder, I listend to "City Life". I am struck with the Rolling Stones/Velvet Underground feel to it. I liked it more with each listen. The band is a bit low in the mix, but not too bad. The vocals in the verse remind me a bit of the band The Sea and Cake. I liked them. The chorus is alotta fun. I could hear some sort of horns in this song too. Not sure where exactly, but I hear them.

I am gonna go listen to some of your other tracks now!

^Damn. Good luck Catfish. Let us know if you guys get that HBO gig.

New song. Just a snippet of a piece i made today. LO-FI.

"Doing it for Me" Its the first one on the top of the list.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/6/normalheightsmusic.htm

EDIT - listen to it over and over and over until you cant stop saying "doing it for me"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.