View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Post trip care?

GreatArc

Greenlighter
Hello, I have been doing deeper exploration of psychedelics of late at higher dosages perhaps once a week now. My relationship to using mushrooms seems to be fulfilling and healthy, and have noticed a few small but noticeable improvements in my life; mainly in my outlook and relationship to anxiety. Experiencing my first real ego death seems to have been a very profound part of these improvements. I must say, as someone who has had moderate emotional problems and difficulties with depression, I would strongly advocate for psychiatric medicine to be taking Psilocybin research very seriously and to figure out how it can be used and who might be a good candidate for this therapy. As someone who has almost no history of drugs or alcohol use, no addictions, and regarded the therapeutic claims of psychoactive substances with tremendous skepticism, I must say that I was very wrong, believing most of these claims were a smokescreen for people who wanted to justify recreational use (not that there's anything wrong with that, just not interested in that).

My questions are these:

1.) I am going to take a bit of time off from drugs to reflect a little upon them and see if I can carry forward these improvements without substances and how long they last. And while I think I am being responsible and safe and having positive experiences, I must say that they take a lot out of me in the days to come. I think spending time in this way takes a toll upon my psyche and body. Specifically, sensitive stomach, lethargy, sweating, hypersensitivity to resting positions and neck pain, slight headache, slight agitation. These all pass and I feel fine within a day or so, but I wonder about some of your advice about post-trip care in any of these areas. Specific tips or anecdotes about how you make coming back down as pleasant as possible.

2.) Belly? Pre or post trip care? I am moving to brewing mushrooms and ingesting with mint tea on a mostly empty stomach (find fasting for 8+ hours more of a discomfort than a small meal of a veggies platter or nuts and seeds. I usually break a fast during the trip and eat something rich like a muffin. Is it better to wait as long as possible?

3.) Sensitivity? I have slight shakiness coming back, much like a post-workout or sex feeling that is not entirely unpleasant, but just makes me feel like I am a little sensitive in mind and body and have to carry myself a little slower than usual, as if I have had a fever and it finally broke that morning. Is this relatable? Any advice with feeling less vulnerable any sooner or more easily after tripping?

4.) Emotions? Along with coming down, small anxieties I cannot really tell if they are real or imagined trickle in slowly, and again, a sense of mild psychosis sets in with vulnerability, over-concern that my mind and senses are recovering to reality the way they should be and that they are calibrating back to function in regular reality.

Any exercises you do? Foods or drinks? Tips? Rituals? Anything to feel like I am looking after myself the best I can and looking after my well-being? I am likely the type of person who would abandon these drugs if I had just a few negative experiences at this point, so I would like to give myself the best chance at having healthy trips so that I can continue to explore these really fascinating and alien brain states in a good way.

Thankee,
-G.A

I find the 3 hour rule for eating works well for psychs, as in last meal 3 hours before taking my dose. I have a very weak stomach and this seems to bypass getting nauseous on the comeup but also provide me with the nutrients my body needs for the trip.

Idk, I don't know much about fasting, but I've always been a bit skeptical of whatever benefits its supposed to have. For me beginning a trip hungry/low on nutrients wouldn't be set me off on a good foot. Your body and brain needs nutrients, mushrooms leave me exhausted as is after the trip, but suit yourself

I began a body-weight fitness routine this past year and during my trips I've felt much better. In the past during my trips I've become aware of how I wasn't treating my body well, or feelings that I was unhealthy. I like to get outside and in nature for my trips, and being more physically fit has made that much more enjoyable for me. Just like running through the forest barefoot in my boxers camping climbing trees n stuff.

Definitely do some stretches though! I get it with mushrooms as well, but my friends and I call it "acid back". Just a sore and tired feeling in your lower back that we always get on trips. Never sure if tis from standing for long periods of time or muscle tension, but we all get it and have to do stretching exercises mid-trip.