• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Art Post some ART that you're feeling today - and why?

nah that's just how I write about art/music/etc but usually with more abstruse references :)

I appreciated your takes on all the sculptures, SKL. Was your grandfather an artist?

cool link, found this..

iIKjWnD.jpg

NY Times said:
The artist James Turrell’s “Sky Space” on the campus of Rice University is the perfect place to contemplate the heavens, framed with precision by a wafer-thin roof with a large aperture in the middle. Visitors sit in a pavilion below, looking up at the opening and marveling at Mr. Turrell’s deft manipulation of light as day turns to night in a Technicolor extravaganza that lasts roughly 45 minutes to an hour. “Sky Space” is open from 5:30 a.m. (for the sunrise light sequence) until 10 p.m. every day except Tuesdays. Reservations are free and typically required for the sunset light sequence only.
vtrm5es.jpg

The Creators Project said:
By staring up at the white canvas of the roof, a cut out square of sky becomes the anchor of the color displays. Once the colors start and twilight begins, the miraculous effects of nature take place in harmony with Turrell’s art. Pink becomes raspberry [...] Orange becomes saffron and then vermillion..
iwC16lw.png

i saw sigmond's post and thought, "oh man, tumblr would eat that shit up." and then a second later i got to read Joe's post.

i was feeling this mural when i encountered it on one of my long aimless walks a while ago..

VNbxuXQ.jpg

^ that particular photo, or the whole Gesamtkunstwerk that they were or purported to be?

I appreciated your takes on all the sculptures, SKL. Was your grandfather an artist?

no just a radical left wing Protestant minister and intellectual with ties to all sorts of civil rights stuff (jailed with MLK at Danbury) and more questionable political causes too, globalism and so on; the other grandfather who was a Communist (first orthordox CPUSA and larer a Trot), war protester, chronic womanizer, chronic drunk and street fighter (political or booze induced, didn't matter)

apple has fallen rather further in some directions than others I suppose

Last edited:
is a great moment in movement captured. something about the look on lydons face, too, isn't all snarl and attitude projected in posed shots, it's a bit more pensive, enraptured by the frenetic energy of the crowd and scene — or maybe just high …

nor is he just looking cheeky like

johnny-rotten-650.jpg

it's something altogether different

no doubt (especially to your "sub"text), I'm just given to musing here, e.g. here very particularly on very particular aspects of his facial expression

Do love the photo. Quite nicely composed, too, exposed as well; technically just great, contrast and all.)

This contemporary (posed) shot I think captures some of the same bemused and yet still puckishly punk pensiveness

hqdefault.jpg

found this site.

looks like a public shaming is underway..

Artist: Shawn Corbett

Looks to me like a rather parsimonious artistic depiction of what could be taken as several different mental illnesses*. The artist has a web site, self-described "surrealist art," and is very much so, definitely taking after some interwar movements in modern art, which is OK; I much prefer modernity to postmodernity anyway.

* Particularly because it resembles in style and content a drawing (crayon on paper) done by a patient of mine a few years back; I've had some very talented artists as patients, and regrettably I can't post any of their "outsider" art here, but some of it is really good. Breton and the original Surrealists were all about channeling madness ...