• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Need Help Post Ritalin addiction, now taking Adderall XR with no effect for ADHD, help me restore my Dopamine?

Volvic

Greenlighter
Hi, PLEASE HELP ME GET MY DOPAMINE BACK! ADHD in crisis

Background

I was diagnosed with ADHD a few years back and was taking Ritalin 10mg once a day. Was helping me alot with my uni studies, but the euphoria was extreme and id be very talkative.

(Tried concerta gave me anxiety, ritalin xr gave me severe depresson, Vysnanse unavailable in my country)

The addiction
It was going well until i started using it recreationally. I recently started working in a very demanding environment and I got a prescription for 10mg 3times a day but…. i’d finish all of it in like 3-5days (up to250mg/day), going into withdrawals every month til my next prescription. For a good few months

I also had a severe coke addiction a few months ago, lasted 2.5 months but quit cold turkey and never went back! :)

Now
Im already taking Venlafaxine150mg and Aripiprazole 2.5mg for 2 years

(Btw i go to 2 different psychiatrists, one that knows all about my addiction,depression and ADHD but cant prescribe stimulants, and one that doesnt know anything but just prescribes stimulants for my adhd)

LONG STORY SHORT
I quit the ritalin because it obviously doesnt suit me i dont want to be an addict and I just want to treat my ADHD. Im glad I caught it early.
(Another psychiatrist i saw said that my substance misuse was just me trying to self medicate and if i can get a hold of my adhd things would be stable.)

I’ve switched to Adderall XR 20mg as directed by the psychiatrist who knows my history (i know what ure thinking, ill just get addicted, but I tried to abuse it before, it never gets me high)

Im 1 week sober from Ritalin while taking Adderall xr 20mg a day and im still having extreme fatigue, sleepiness and loss of concentration, depression (ik its normal withdrawal)
Tried Wellbutrin to help with energy but 150mg makes me very agitated(not just irritable) and gives me uncontrollable tremors
Modanifil is unavailable in my country.

BUT HERE’S MY PROBLEM:
The Adderall XR 20mg is not helping my symptoms at all, it might be helping with the withdrawals yes but Im worried I have developed tolerance to it in the long run and im a very slim female so im unable to get a higher prescription.

I’ve just bought some supplements(hope its not placebo..):
L-Tyrosine, Lions Maine, L-Cartinine, L-Phenylalanine

Here are my questions:
1. What can I do to help get my tolerance back?
2. What medications/supplements would you recommend for my current symptoms, dopamine boost?
(Since Vysnase and Modanifil arent available)

Any reply is greatly appreciated, Im working really hard not to go down another addiction and I just want to get my life together. :)

PS to my ADHDrs: if you get addicted to ritalin and then want to switch back to taking it as prescribed… thats not possible, I’ve tried, you’ll always just crave more. Its not you, just means it doesn't suit you :)

Here are my questions:
1. What can I do to help get my tolerance back?
2. What medications/supplements would you recommend for my current symptoms, dopamine boost?
(Since Vysnase and Modanifil arent available)
1. There is only 1 way to reduce tolerance to any substance, and that is to take a break from using it. If you're unable to resist abusing a particular substance then unfortunately that substance is not going to work long term for you as a sustainable treatment for your ADHD.

2. In my experience Kratom is an extremely useful booster / back up / sole treatment for ADHD symptoms, and I gather that it acts via the dopamine circuitry in one way or another.

I'm in titration on ADHD meds at the moment and have been put on methylphenidate XR. I did fully intend to be on my best behaviour with these meds as I need them and don't want to fuck things up for myself. However I did have one moment of weakness and tried to defeat the time release formulation on one occasion. I consider it very fortunate that the effects of doing this were not in the least bit enjoyable, and so can quite safely say that I will never do this again.

I would recommend getting on Methylphenidate XR if possible, for the reason that the effects are very medicinal and it really does not seem to lend itself to being abusable.

I suspect that things might be a different story altogether for the amphetamine based class of stimulants, and I'd possibly end up with a similar story to yours if I was to try them.

Last edited:
I have ADD and recurring stimulant dependency issues, mostly meth and NDRIs. A break from dopaminergic stimulants will be the most beneficial, but it will suck ass feeling so low, you may only need 14 days away though. during those 2 weeks supplement with l-Phenylalanine and/or tyrosine as a source for your enzymes to produce catecholamines, eat big meals when you have the appetite, talk to people in your life daily over text it may help prevent the depression from becoming terminal.
its going to be rough and you cant avoid a lot of aspects of ADD for around 2 weeks. caffeine and ephedrine help you stay up without too much dopa release, just take them with an antihistamine if your prone to hives (norepinephrine = histamine release).
Good luck, it gets better.