• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Population / Do you like the direction we are heading?

^ Lol yeh look around its a perfect world everyone's got it sweet and us humans are just so smart

I think globally humans are going to fuck the world completely. Its a two pronged attack with both over population and unsustainable lifestyles for too much of that population.

I believe the predictions that parts of the world will run out of fresh drinking water in the next 50 years. I also believe this will be yet another source of conflict.

I think it is unlikely that on a global scale emissions will be reduced in order to slow greenhouse gas output and subsequently climate change.

Humans won't stop pillaging the ocean. Eventually many fish species will become extinct.

Some of the solutions that get put forward to reduce environmental impact are an obvious erosion of living standards. eg Not eating meat. I believe that humans did not evolve eating grains and legumes (soy, wheat, corn, etc) and we are suffering the health effects of eating diets who's calories mostly come from them. You guys can eat Soylent green all you want, I'm going to stick to grass fed beef, free range swine and Kangaroo meat thanks.

I must say I generally agree with what Footscrazy says about housing density. (Are you an enviro eng or scientist?) It's certainly the same ideas as I have been taught at uni on that topic. Although I will add that when I have lived in high density housing (2-3 story apartment blocks) it was a massive reduction in the standard of living mainly because they were so poorly designed that anytime someone farted in the apartment above, we could hear/smell it in ours. There are a lot of shitty old battle flats like this here which certainly fuels the perception that high density living is not nice. I have seen some newer better made high density living and while its still not perfect, its a step in the right direction anyway. I do agree with the science about higher density = less environmental impact when compared to urban sprawl.

One thing I read was that when you get people living close together you start to see improved efficiency in services, food supply etc. Much more so than if you have everyone living in sprawled half acre blocks growing a handful of veges whilst putting far too much water and fertilizer on them.

I doubt any government will consider reducing population growth here due to economic reasons. Long term sustainable population is a goal well outside the priorities of a government that gets elected every few years.