• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Poppy pod tea in a coffee kettle

pinkflyingbanana

Greenlighter
Hi all

So this isn't for me I'm more of a pharmaceutical gal, but my girlfriend has been attempting to make poppy pod tea in one of those italian coffee makers you put on the stove. She basically makes it like you would a coffee but isn't getting a very good high. Do you think this is the method or the pods? pods from good supplier but maybe quality has decreased?

PFB

It may be the pods or the method you're using to make it.
I have experience with making it out of seeds so I'm not 100% sure on good methods for pods.
I would suggest trying different methods to see what the results are like, if they're still getting undesired results it may just be the pods.

You shouldnt be heating it up at all because heat kills the alkaloids that you want in it. Make sure youre using a cold/room-temp water when doing this.

That's what I thought too.
I would put the seeds in a container and filled with cold-cold water and shake for roughly around 15 to 20 minutes then strain it.
Always gave me positive results.

Like a Moka Pot sort of thing? I think that's probably too hot and would probably break down the alkaloids. Basically with that sort of coffee maker, you're heating up the water enough that it pushes itself up through the coffee grounds and into the top part, so that's too rough on the alkaloids.

Don't use a moka pot to make poppy seed tea, or any type of tea.

It does create a wonderful coffee or espresso-like drink with crema but don't let it burn, and use a dark coffee.

right so what pod method would people recommend then? grinding and then soaking in warm water?

Grinder of any sort, to powder. Place in a a regular coffee maker with a pre-wetted coffee filter. Viola!! Easiest way to do it. Go to a goodwill you can find coffee machines cheap.

I tried a coffee maker once and it produced a very weak brew.

Best way is the easiest way- grind pods in coffee grinder, put grinds in a pot with water (or a large cup), strain with tea strainer.

The best way to get alkaloids out of seeds or pods is to just allow them to soak in a mason jar with cold water after you have ground them. Any hot temperatures degrades the active alkaloids and just makes for gross tasting dud tea.

When using seeds dont grind them...the alkaloids are on the surface of the seeds, not inside.

Just let them sit in a bottle with water (i always added a bit citrus acid) for about 20 minutes and shake from time to time.

Strain it through a cloth (i always used a tshirt so i could really squeeze the brew out).

i've never had pods and probably wouldn't because of the legal gray area; i just use seeds for my purposes. ebay has got some kick ass unwashed seeds if you know where to look. i've had good luck with the tasmanian seeds that i get.

I think the stovetop device you are referring to is an espresso machine, single pot, all aluminium. It makes wonderful espresso but it actually use high pressure steam to brew so the material is being exposed to temps far above 225 degrees F, I'm not a chemist but if heat damages the alkaloids, you could boil the pods and get more from them, this method is best kept for coffee :D

Well I'm more of a pharmaceutical guy myself, there's nothin wrong with that. Nothin beats consistent, accurate dosage units am I right?? Reliable with a capital R!

As for the pods though, I believe she probably shouldn't be boiling them. Alkaloids are sensitive to heat, so boiling for is a no-no. They could degrade into some sort of inactive intermediate by-product metabolite type-a things...

I'd say crush/grind/blend them up really fine (probably not powder...think like weed grinder size maybe) and then I'd put it in a dry water bottle, or the like, and submerge in X amount of lukewarm/room-temp, or even cold water. Cover, shake like hell, and you could probably go ahead and filter it out of the bottle top with holes, and cloth or something under the lid to filter out any other sediment. To test the first run.
I'd say give the first run a try, drink it down, and see what happens.
While you're waiting for it to kick in (to see if its alkaloid-rich enough to even produce an effect) I'd submerge the left over raw materials yet again, this time shake well and let sit...overnight maybe.

If the first batch worked, that's you're method. If not so much, let the next batch sit overnight, shaking occasionally.
Try the next batch 24 hours later, and if IT works better, than the latter 'let it sit & soak" method is you're best bet.

Morphine Meconate is the naturally occurring form of morphine & codeine etc. So we know that Morphine HYDROCHLORIDE, and Morphine SULPHATE are both pretty water soluble around 60mg/milliliter of H2O approximately, and I'm sure the Meconate form (as found in poppies, raw opium, etc..) is also water soluble, but how water soluble? I don't know.
If you googled it you might find some more information on that.

Personally, I've never had any really noticeable effects from poppyseed tea....I imagine pods would be better. But let's assume, for a second, that these pods each contain a whole 1 gram of raw opium...which in reality a pod probably contains more like 250mg or less of opium latex. Somebody on BL can probably elaborate....
But I digress, for example sake, even if you had these amazing pods with 1 gram of opium latex inside of them, only 5-10% of that is actually Morphine and/or Codeine. So being incredibly generous in assumptions here, the most Morphine&codeine you could possibly get, per 1 gram of opium is about 100mg. But the alkaloid content also consists of lots of other stuff...Thebaine, papaverine, oripavine, to name a few. Which are pharmacologically active, though not nearly in the same fashion as morphine/codeine.

I imagine from a whole 20 lbs. of poppy seed though....I bet you'd be lucky to get 60-100mg. Then again, i'm guessing. I'm also guessing that 20lbs of poppyseeds cost at LEAST 20 bucks.....so simple math tells me this; 20 bucks for 100mg of morphine, maybe?
I'll take my chances down in the streets because 20 bucks for 100mg of M is waaaay too much...even for pills TBH. Love me some MSir, too, and last time I scored, it was way cheaper for a handful of tabs than for a shitload of poppyseeds or pods. And much more certain of a thing, as well.
Can you really put a price on certainty?

Fresh pods chew them and eat all the sap and stems. Buccal administration in my opinion is the most efficient. Other wise if you only have dry pods the methods described above are fine but I still prefer buccal even if it is a bit unpleasant for dry pods. I guess it depends on the alkaloid content. Persian whites were shit for buccal but tassies will get you there every time.