L O V E +
    R E L A T I O N S H I P S

❤️ Welcome Guest! ❤️

Posting Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

Poor College Student looking for cheap date suggestions

Tom Malice

Bluelighter
Hey i need some advice on possibilities for a date, when I bring her back to my place after we go eat. I don't really have much at all at my house, being a poor college student. I'm trying to get a tv before then atleast, but no guarantees of that happening. I've currently got some money to spend, so i was thinking of picking something up for us to do. I've got until saturday to figure something out. Cheers everyone.

Beer (or wine, whatever), and a fun board game...It sounds cheesy, but to me, if someone doesn't like playing Cranium, or something like that, then they're probably not worth dating anyway. Watching T.V or a movie is the worst date activity IMO.

She doesn't want to drink, maybe she would change her mind if i surprised her with wine though? What would be a good board game for just two people? Ideally I wouldn't want to just watch a movie later but it would be nice having the option too if that's what she's feeling

I couldn't remember the name of it, but googled it, And it's called Cranium Hoopla. I dated a girl who lived on a boat a while back, small space, no t.v, winter in Vancouver pissing down rain, We had a blast, played it all the time. (We also drank a lot though). It is a good way to gauge chemistry I think, and really forces you to let down your guard. Scrabble is another that pops to mind. Really even battleship or checkers or something. You're trying to get to know her right? so this way you talk, and hopefully laugh. Good luck on a first (I assume) date without booze, A braver man than me!

Good call on scrabble, completely didn't cross my mind. I'll look into that cranium one as well. Yeah this is our first date, i might have a couple beers since we're going to a karaoke bar earlier, but I think most of the night we'll be at my place. And thanks man i'm going to need it.

Ditto for the game suggestion; not only is it fun and informative, I think the competitive juices alone could be helpful. Uno is another one that pops to mind, though I'm probably biased since I haven't played it in too many years. Trivial Pursuit will make you both feel like morons, which can also be a bonding experience. No kidding. ;)

Uno is fun! Other card games as well. Cards are fun.
If you have a computer (more people have computers than TVs it seems, especially college students, so I'm not sure if you have one or not), you can watch movies on there. My boyfriend and I do that here sometimes. Neither of us have a TV but we both have computers! :)
You could go for a picnic or a walk or something.
Sometimes things like mini golf, bowling, etc. are relatively expensive although they still cost a bit of money. Stuff like that can be fun :)
MAKING a nice dinner is super sweet AND cheap. My boyfriend and I have gone out to dinner maybe three or four times in the entire time we've been dating (almost two years now). We have saved sooooo much money by cooking together and eating at home. Cooking together is lots of fun, although might not be ideal if it's a first date or really soon in a relationship, it depends on the person of course.

good suggestions on the games and other "cheesy" activities (bowling, mini golf). it can seem kind of dorky, but that also makes it really low pressure and easy to laugh about.

something i like to do if the weather/area is nice is to split a cheap bottle of wine/champagne between a couple of plastic cups and take a walk. more to talk about than just sitting around an apartment, and the silences aren't nearly as awkward. plus everybody likes champagne.

another thing that can make a big difference is music. if you do plan on hanging out at your place, have a plan for some unobtrusive background music ahead of time. again, awkward silences are your enemy, especially if the two of you are alone together in your apartment.

You don't get a second date with me if there is tv anytime on the first... a lot of people are like me, the rest just want to get laid so bad, they don't care. TV is a no-go.

Board games are good.

People watching. Go for a walk. Break onto the roof of your building. Explore an abandoned building. Go for a walk around your neighborhood and point out all the cool shit you notice. Volunteer. Zoo. Aquarium.

See whatever is current at an art museum, or likewise at night, dress up on a fri or Saturday and hit all the art galleries with shows opening. Nothing mixes like fine art and cheap wine, and she will defo be drinking then.

Imo, dates are all about revealing some of yourself without talking excessively. Tv only reveals you have no imagination.

In my experience (and maybe because of the kind of people I go for) art + alcohol = sex.

If there are any parks in your area a nice walk is always good. Gives you a chance to make conversation.

Go out for coffee. The board game or card game thing also works, and taking walks in parks or going to free museums can also work. I also don't like watching TV on first dates but some people do.

I don't know the area I'm living in well enough I fear. I moved recently for school and I haven't done much exploring. I'm in a fair sized city so I know there are definitely some places that would be great to take her to, i just don't know where. We've decided that she gets to choose where we eat, and I decide the entertainment so I don't need to worry about where we're headed for dinner. I'm definitely thinking TV is a bad idea now, so I'm not too worried that I don't have a working one ahah. Mini-putting is seeming it like would be a good idea at the moment, she was at a driving range the other day and I know she had fun.

I live in Hamilton, on the mountain. I'm close enough to the downtown area that it wouldn't be a problem to head somewhere there though.

Not really sure what you guys are into or what city you're in, but you could go old school and walk through the park, or discover new parts of the city with her. It may sound stupid, but you can learn a lot about each other just from wandering around, plus you might find a bar/restaurant that turns into your favorite place. A lot of museums are donation based (pay what you can), and so are some zoos/ gardens. Look up free movie screenings or concerts. Or you could just pick up a free alternative newspaper for the city you live in, like the Phoenix (Boston) or the Village Voice (New York) or the Stranger (Seattle), papers like these have articles and listing for things happening in the city, from art gallery openings to concerts, and they usually have the prices listed too.
Get creative and see what she's into, figure it out from there.

I suck at cooking ahah, making dinner isn't happening this time. I've got something planned out now, thanks for the help everyone :D Hope it turns out alright.

You can take a women anywhere and eat anything. Take her on a date to the supermarket, buy some microwave meals and go back to yours and watch a movie or get a pre-roast chicken and some bread rolls have a picnic in the park! Think of a date as a way to prove your a fun guy to be around and that you can make her feel good, not to prove how thick your wallet is and how sophisticated you are.

Whats really important is having fun and making anything you do an adventure :D