• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Police officer shoots an under cover officer in a $60 meth bust

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) – Albuquerque Police released new video on Thursday that shows what happened when a drug bust went terribly wrong, ending with an APD lieutenant shooting one of his own detectives, nearly killing him.

The video captures the chaotic scene last year when APD set out to take down two drug suspects in an undercover sting over $60 worth of methamphetamine.

However, in a matter of seconds, everything changed.

Det. Jacob Grant will now require medical care for the rest of his life.

His lieutenant, Greg Brachle, is no longer with APD, retiring while the Civilian Police Oversight Agency voted to fire him after watching lapel video of the police shooting.

The video shows that after getting the signal, officers moved in to support two undercover detectives who were in a car with two suspects.

“Put your hands where I can see ’em. Put your hands where I can see ’em,” Lt. Brachle can be heard shouting. “Gun! Gun!”

APD said one of the suspects had a pellet gun.

As soon as Brachle shouted, “gun,” he fired what sounds like eight rounds, but he quickly realized he made a major mistake.

“Oh sh**. That was Jacob. F*** me.”

He thought he was aiming for a suspect.

The video shows one of the suspects with his arms up as shots are fired.

He then crawled out of the car, asking a detective, “Can you handcuff me? I don’t want to get shot on accident, man.”

“Are you okay,” Lt. Brachle asked Grant seconds after firing at him.

“No,” a voice is heard responding on the lapel video.

“F***. Come on out, dude. Come on. I’m sorry,” Brachle said. “I didn’t know it was you. Come here. Come here, Jacob.”

The city just paid out $6.5 million to Grant and said it will cover his medical expenses for the rest of his life to settle a lawsuit accusing Brachle of not following standard procedures and missing a briefing before the sting operation.

“Jacob, man. Hang in there, bro. I thought you were a bad guy,” Brachle said.

APD said since that shooting, the department has improved supervision, training and equipment for undercover officers.

In addition, it is now mandatory to attend all briefings before each operation.

Source: https://www.jimmyjohns.com/

Terrible story.
Why were they carrying guns again?
Maybe they should have been assigned elsewhere, to try to take care of some real crime.
Instead of people who choose to purchase drugs to make themselves feel good, or better.

While this was occurring, how many rapists and murderers got away?

What a waste of so much time, energy, and human life.

Terrible story.
Why were they carrying guns again?
Maybe they should have been assigned elsewhere, to try to take care of some real crime.
Instead of people who choose to purchase drugs to make themselves feel good, or better.

While this was occurring, how many rapists and murderers got away?

What a waste of so much time, energy, and human life.

The officer saw a gun from one of the suspects which only turned out to be a pellet gun. Bit hard to tell I guess.

Either way talk about lack of communication. Just makes you wonder how dumb some cops are.

Over $60 worth of drugs what a fucking joke. It was a huge waste of time before the state was paying for a trigger happy cops mistakes. Pretty sure the cop who shot is the Bad guy.

Was it worth it? Was $60 worth leaving a fellow officer handicapped for the rest of his life? They have no one to blame but themselves, I'm sorry to say.

Wth? $60 worth of drugs and they are pooling in how many undercovers, money, and officers for this $60 "sting". Like.. what the fuck.

That video was chilling.

This is extremely upsetting. If I was a taxpayer in that state I would be asking some hard questions of the sheriff. What a waste of time and life. Money is replaceable, but now a human being, which is not, has lost his health and wellbeing for the rest of his life. This is over sixty dollars. Sixty Dollars!?! I guess sixty dollars is how low the police value human life.

He was playing "Cowboys and Indians" and his adrenaline got the better of him. The guy he shot is lucky he's a cop, the Department HOOKED HIM THE FUCK UP. 6.5 mil plus health expenses for life? He's laughing all the way to the bank...

And it's ALL on the taxpayers dime...

This is extremely upsetting. If I was a taxpayer in that state I would be asking some hard questions of the sheriff. What a waste of time and life. Money is replaceable, but now a human being, which is not, has lost his health and wellbeing for the rest of his life. This is over sixty dollars. Sixty Dollars!?! I guess sixty dollars is how low the police value human life.

This is exactly how I feel about the cost of seizure vs the value of substance taken. So let's assume I have a job I go to my boss and say "sir I just made us 100 dollars!!! It cost about 20g to obtain but look it's a positive value if you forget the cost of getting it!" Would my boss praise me and put me in the paper or would I get fired for being incompetent? Now police work for us because of tax money and they are making huge mistakes with my money to the point where I would fire them for putting shameful busts in the paper and touting that we aren't getting ripped off.

This is just another example where it happened rather then money being the waste it was almost someone's life... how much are drugs worth again and how do they ruin people's lives?

It would seem that bullets were the more dangerous substance in this article.