Please share exps/info about Ibogaine treatment for opiate addiction.

OpiYum

Greenlighter
My friend told me that Ibogaine (a psychedelic) helped cure his cocaine addiction for about three months. He said that Ibogaine is supposed to help with opiate addiction as well. You take it, trip for 32 hours, and then when done, there are no withdrawals, no cravings.

http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/ibogaine/ibogaine_article3.shtml
<By late 1983, Lotsof believed he had enough information to back his claims of ibogaine's anti-addictive effects, and initiated a series of patents for Endabuse (NIH 10567), an oral preparation of ibogaine hydrochloride in capsule form. These patents indicated Endabuse for the "rapid interruption" of opiate dependence disorders (U.S. Patent 4,99,096, 1985), cocaine dependence disorders (U.S. Patent 4,587,243, 1986), nicotine dependence disorders (U.S. Patent 5,026,697, 1991) and poly-substance abuse disorders (U.S. Patent 5,152,994 1992) (Lotsof, Della Sera, and Kaplan, 1995).>

<Of particular interest with regards to its putative role in interrupting opiate dependence are ibogaine's effects on the opioid system. Ibogaine does not appear to be a conventional opioid agonist or antagonist (Alper et al., 1999). Bhargava et al. (1997) found that ibogaine bound to mu-, delta-, and kappa-opioid receptors low affinity, 11.0, > 100, and 3.77 uM, respectively.>

Has anyone heard about this or been though this?

I will share my experience when I have it... probably won't be until later this year though as I am not ready to trip in any way yet. Just wanted to bump this thread because Ibogaine is an amazing plant spirit and has a high success rate of helping people overcome addictions and other problems.

Just remember... first it's Iboga, but after a while it's all YOU, YOU do your own hard work at bettering your life in the end.

We've tried on occasion to put the word out in this forum, but unfortunately the people it could help most seem to be the least interested--and I really haven't been able to figure out the reason for that. It's possible that ibogaine is a profound but ultimately understated resolution to addiction, but most people crave the whole social scene involved with kicking drugs.

In any event, my successful experience is in the Trip Reports archives:

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthre...ht=substancecode_ibogaine+substancecode_iboga

I have personally been through 9 rehabs and countless detoxification processes. I would not even slightly consider doing Ibogaine, too trippy for my liking. Then its each to their own on this one. It is surrounded by alott of controversy, talking about alot, isnt that name of the director of ibogaine.com dr lotsof

tobala;6652510but unfortunately the people it could help most seem to be the least interested--and I really haven't been able to figure out the reason [/QUOTE said:
Money, or else i would've done it long ago.... it would be over a thousand dollars at least to actually go there and do it, and it's not like I (or alot of other addicts) can afford that.

Actually Ibogaine itself is significantly less, definitely affordable by at least some addicts. You don't have to go to a treatment center, just do some research and find it yourself.

Does anyone know exactly by what physiological mechanism it short-circuits the opiate withdrawal process? Although that study states it binds to those three types of receptors, it seems to me that 32 hours would not be long enough to rehabilitate the body's dependence.

They have at least one place here in Canada where you can have it done for an exhorbinant (sp?) fee. Not sure what the 'sucess rate' is or even if one exists, and if so what do they define as success. Wonder how long they follow up people.

I'd be very wary about this. If it sounds to good to be true it usually is. Although tripping for 72 hours doesn't sound like a good time to me anymore.

^^^^ Well compare the price to what you spend on dope in 3 months--you do the math. I researched, found a source for $300/gram and my $15,000/year cocaine addiction was over.

Using price as an excuse is lame and you all know it, so considered yourselves called out on this one. :\

Question-- is ibotanic acid, the secondary psychoactive chemical from muscimol in the Aminta Muscaria mushroom (or Fly Agaric -- Red with white spots) related to Ibogaine?

Because then Ibogaine treatment would be free all over San Francisco and North.

Hey, Tobala, I read your trip report (very well narrated). Could you tell me more about the follow up -- how long cravings were staved away or if you attempted another trip? Maybe you could PM me with some details if magick faeries are on my side.

Ibotenic acid/muscimol are totally unrelated to ibogaine.

Re followup: it's going on a year clean, with a little hiccup mid-September, where I used a few grams to get through a tough exam. Since then, nothing. I have another trip lined up once I get off Paxil in September 2009. It'll be almost twice the dose, I expect something cosmic to happen, lol...