• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Please help me figure out how to reduce my tolerance to oxycodone. I'm desperate!

RicardoMontoya

Bluelighter
Last night I first took 60 mg oxycodone and 1 hour before dosing I took 50 mg DXM for potentation. Nothing happened so I took more pills and got to 160 mg. At that point, I was high as a kite.
I got 20 mg pills. I can't take too many pills to get high, I wanna lower my tolerance to the point 40-60 mg oxycodone would get me high like they did before. I took a one week break and went through withdrawal, but nothing changed.

Is taking a long break the only way to reverse tolerance? And in that case, how long would it take?

Please I'm desperate

Last edited:
Is taking a long break the only way to reverse tolerance?
Ultimately, yes.

Any sort of tips or tricks, such as various supplements or drugs like DXM, are negligible in reducing tolerance without taking a break.

1 week is really not enough, 2-3 weeks is better, 4 weeks+ is best.

Yet, 4 weeks won't completely reset tolerance, only about 70-90% or so. It often takes 2-3 months to completely reset tolerance to most drugs by 100%. Assuming permatolerance isn't factored in, which is a different discussion.

Even a week should notice a pretty big change
Actually not. I went into oxy withdrawal for one week, then yesterday I tried taking 60 mg which was my usual dose and felt NOTHING (and I had taken 50 mg dxm 1 hr before). I had to take 160 mg overall to get high....
One week did nothing for me

Ultimately, yes.

Any sort of tips or tricks, such as various supplements or drugs like DXM, are negligible in reducing tolerance without taking a break.

1 week is really not enough, 2-3 weeks is better, 4 weeks+ is best.

Yet, 4 weeks won't completely reset tolerance, only about 70-90% or so. It often takes 2-3 months to completely reset tolerance to most drugs by 100%. Assuming permatolerance isn't factored in, which is a different discussion.
Is permatolerance a thing with opioids? I have that with benzos from all the abuse, unfortunately

Is permatolerance a thing with opioids? I have that with benzos from all the abuse, unfortunately
It's hard to say, highly anecdotal. There is little to zero science on the matter.

I have heard about permatolerance reported for nearly every drug out there.

I seem to have developed a perma tolerance to alcohol, myself, though. The euphoric effects.

Personally I lean toward it being a psychological effect and not physical.

I hear black seed oil helps lower tolerance? And of course the best way is abstinence.

One thing I used to do if I had a plethora of different pain meds is I would switch it up like take codeine or trams just enough to get clear from withdrawal or enough to get a slight buzz.
In fact (at least in my case)tramadol being synthetic seemed to be the best, as my tram tolerance went up, my oxy/hydro tolerance lowered significantly by the time I switched back!

Last edited:
It's hard to say, highly anecdotal. There is little to zero science on the matter.

I have heard about permatolerance reported for nearly every drug out there.

I seem to have developed a perma tolerance to alcohol, myself, though. The euphoric effects.

Personally I lean toward it being a psychological effect and not physical.
Tachyphylaxis is what you're looking for
there's a lot of science on the matter, actually

it starts slow, then rapidly goes up again, old level of tolerance will be reached very fast.
the higher the desensitization of the receptors, and the longer the period of time of desensitization, the bigger the damage - the bigger the damage, the faster said state will be reached again.

definitely is a thing with mu-opioid, so both alcohol and opiates

Guys, I took 20 mg klonopin (yes I have massive benzo tolerance) and only 60 mg oxycodone and I got high.
So, klonopin potentiated oxycodone pretty well! I guess all benzos do.
Now, I'm aware it can be dangerous but I make sure not to go over the top

I take tolerance breaks of at the very least 5 weeks, but usually around 2 months on average in order to 're-set'. And that's without a physical dependence that would send me into withdrawal. It also differs from individual to individual just exactly how quickly you build tolerance / need to up the dose, and how fast your tolerance drops. But yeah stay off for a good few weeks to get a real difference, and more importantly to not have your tolerance levels jump up again immediately after only a couple day's use.

... Afraid you're just gonna have to amuse yourself some other way in the meantime. 😉

If you haven't any tolerance issues 50-60mg oxy must get you feeling(if it's real oxy,but not some pressed pill).120mg is a lot.Some people don't feel low doses obviously...may be,because of probable interactions with other meds.or difficulties metabolizing oxy.....may be switching to some oral morphine .....it does not involve cytochrome P450 system....Ofcourse talk to your doc.first.

If you haven't any tolerance issues 50-60mg oxy must get you feeling(if it's real oxy,but not some pressed pill).120mg is a lot.Some people don't feel low doses obviously...may be,because of probable interactions with other meds.or difficulties metabolizing oxy.....may be switching to some oral morphine .....it does not involve cytochrome P450 system....Ofcourse talk to your doc.first.
I get real oxy from a pharmacy that sells even without scripts if they know you.
Can't talk to my doc I don't take it for pain management but to get high lol

I hear black seed oil helps lower tolerance? And of course the best way is abstinence.

One thing I used to do if I had a plethora of different pain meds is I would switch it up like take codeine or trams just enough to get clear from withdrawal or enough to get a slight buzz.
In fact (at least in my case)tramadol being synthetic seemed to be the best, as my tram tolerance went up, my oxy/hydro tolerance lowered significantly by the time I switched back!

So, could you, in theory, just take enough of an opiate to get you to the point where you are no longer in withdrawal but also to where you are not high either? Like, just take a maintenance dose for a week or two. Would this lower your tolerance down to said maintenance dose? That way when you use a higher dose again after a few weeks you'll get higher? Not sure if I worded this correctly

Yeah I think that may work..its like instead of taking 60mg oxy to get high..u only take 20 or 30 to get out of WD or most of it..then after a few weeks that 60mg should definitely feel much stronger but..idk things like this get dangerous. Like when ppl relapse after a short break and OD. so be careful and anyone please chime in if I'm leading in wrong direction here.

I think if you slashed it down that low you'd almost definitely be in some degree of withdrawal. 60mg a really high amount, I'm sure some people have done even more but 10mg of Oxy gets me ridiculously high. I've only ever taken it after some surgeries though, my most recent being wisdom teeth 2 months ago.

Black seed oil definitely works for kratom, maybe it works for all opioids. It tickles the mu-opioid receptors but it seems most associated with kratom. Lowering general tolerance probably to some extent for oxy, I know magnesium also is supposed to help in a similar fashion, which I've found out recently with my kratom tolerance going way down out of nowhere despite no real change in my dose.

OP said they were taking 60 which is where I thought you got that from, although they haven't been last seen since a week after joining so it makes you wonder if some kind of overdose happened... would be unfortunate. Given they could get it from a pharmacy so easily without a script it doesn't sound impossible.