• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Please help! Gaming systems

DudeImnotDAVE

Bluelighter
Ok, I have two teens and two nephews who are only 4 and 5. I want a video game system that all of us can enjoy. I love guitar heros, so do the kids. We like the WII sports and the WII FIT is looking cool.

BUT.

My oldest likes stuff like Grand theft auto and some of the virtual/fantasy games.

Which is the best choice for us as a whole? WII, or Xbox 360 with the hard drive?

This is for christmas.... I need to make a decision pretty soon.

Thanks- DIND

I'm purely a PC gamer myself. But from what I've played of it at friends houses, the Wii is really cool, but for most day to day gaming and variety of games, I think the 360 is probably the better choice.

The wii is better for kids and teens under 15. The xbox360 is way better for older teens and twenty somethings.

The games for the XBOX are way better than the games for the WII, but if your looking for fun then the WII it is.

the graphics and game selection on Xbox 360 is better than the Wii. As said above, the Wii is ideal for group interactive gaming fun :) If you dont like the interactive controls of the Wii, then there is the option to use the standard gamecube controls with the Wii games (not sure if it for all of them, but i know it is for some) - i have found using the gamecube controller a lot better for some games. There are also some more interactive games that are coming out or just come out for the 360... i know there is one like singstar which is called "lipps" i think.

I personally think that the Wii would be your better option as it would suit everyone you listed, and you said that you yourself iked Wii Sports etc...although i don't think Grand Theft Auto for the Wii has been released yet (someone correct me if i am wrong), but there should be some games your oldest would like on that platform.

The Wii doesn't have enough titles that will keep the older one entertained but it will work great for the younger one.

The 360 will have titles that both will enjoy but it will cost you more than a PS3 in the long run if you pay the monthly fee to play online.

The PS3 will have titles that both will enjoy but it costs more upfront.

Make your choice. If money is an issue and you're not gonna let them play online go with the 360. If money is an issue but you have some in savings and you're gonna let them play online get a PS3.

Considering you have 2 teens and yourself you could always play with each other and it sounds like money is somewhat of a deciding factor so go with the 360 and don't pay for the online.

The Wii is a lot of fun with groups of people; a majority of the games released for that platform are multiplayer ('Super Smash Bros. Melee', 'WiiSports') and would be able to keep young children entertained. Nintendo usually seems to lean more towards younger children, but there are a few fantastic games available that might appeal to someone older ('Resident Evil 4', 'Splinter Cell: Double Agent').

However, the Xbox360 may be more expensive, but with an added hard-drive (there's no need to get a huge one) it still allows multiplayer and can run plenty of interesting multiplayer games that appeal to all ages, such as the 'Burnout' series of games. 'Splinter Cell' is definitely easier to control on the 360, there is also the 'Halo' trilogy to consider: single-player and multi-player first-person-shooting fun for all.

Multiplayer over an internet connection will require a monthly subscription fee and a connection to your router (the Wii doesn't require any wires), but the quality of multiplayer is great and one can have a lot of fun with people from all over the world, chatting via the microphone headset and playing deathmatch 'Halo 3'.

With the sheer number of titles that cater to any age range, as well as the standard four controller ports for multiplayer and the optional HDD and Xbox LIVE (multiplayer, chat, etc), I would recommend you buy the 360 as a console that everyone will be able to enjoy. Perhaps Microsoft has caught onto the brilliance of remote peripherals and have recently released a couple of titles that involve a camera ('You're in the Movies') and a microphone for 'Lips', which is a karaoke game.

The Wii is certainly not a bad choice; it doesn't require a subscription to play online, the nature of the input devices almost force one to physically grapple with the controls, making it a little more fun, and whether you're swinging the Wiimote back and forth in a game of tennis or it's slotted into a steering wheel that you're turning around like an angry taxi driver, it's a lot of fun. Harmless, childish fun.

It really depends upon whether you'd like to please the younger kids more, or your oldest. Personally, I'd go with the Xbox 360; it'll cater to everyone.

The WII is cool for me, I got both, I just like the wii when me n a few buddies drink and try to bowl, or play mario kart. When I'm in the serous game mood I hook up the xbox360 and throw in some call of duty 4, or any fact killing, shotgun sandwhich games i can find, :) Wish they made a Wii Box 360 lol

I'd go with either a Wii or a PS3. I'm pretty sure the Wii has some adultish games too.

^very true. hell, manhunt 2 is on it. with axe swinging action!

you know it doesn't matter, either machine will get much love.

you can pick up an xbox 360 for less than a wii now and the games library is really good. i thi9nk it really depends on who is going to get the most use out of the console, if the younger nephews are going to play a lot then maybe get the wii but i think you'd get a lot more out of the 360. i think it'd be the same for the ps3 but i really haven't played on one enough to comment.

I vote for the 360, it has a wide range of games, the unit it self is reasonably priced. The Wii's control style can wear thin quickly and it is definitely geared to a younger demographic. If there's a male in the house between the age of 12 and 112 it's hard to go wrong with the 360.

Ya the wii version of resident evil I played was sick, your oldest will definitely have games to play. And for a family system the wii is by far the way to go. People that won't usually bother playing video games will find themselves at the least bowling. A very cool system. 360 is great and is what I have but I'm not sure about games for the Lil ones. Either way they'll be happy.

The wii has more child friendly games and the accessories for it don't cost much at all.

You can look into the ps3 as well but it's a more advanced console however it's a future proof console. There isn't many games for young kids unless you would allow them to play games rated T or M like most ps3 games. When I was a little kid I was allowed to play any game regardless of rating.

all young kids love wii

i personally like ps3 cuz of the blueray and free online, but again young kids love the family oriented wii games