Please advise..big issues..career path? LIFE?

Praline

Bluelighter
I am debating wheather or not to continue in my field of nursing. I quit my job after allegations that I took drugs from work and was impaired at work. I made a med error and the narc sheets were skewed, and I went to work pretty sick one day which led to them filing a complaint against me. I never took pills or went to work messed up. The crazy part is that I know other nurses and aides there smoke pot and party all the time, but administration did nothing about them. I also know other for sure other nurses there were stealing pills, but are still employed. I was also asked by my manager to falsify documentation to cover up certain mistakes which would have resulted in major problems for the facility, and I went along with it because I was afraid I would be disiplined if I did not alter the charts. I know there were also managers ripping documentation out of charts to hide stuff and replacing it with their version of the events so they wouldnt get a deficiency from the board of nursing inspection.
Now I have to appear before the board to defend myself against these allegations that I was impaired, I am not too concerned about it since I pissed clean and I never took anything from the place. I just cant believe they would do this to me, and yet, it's ok for them to mess around with the truth to suit their needs. I think I was set up because a lot of people there didnt like me or my fiancee.
I am so heartbroken, these people sat there and swore they cared about me and loved me, and now they have set me up for a potential huge mess...all the while they are doing wrong things and covering stuff up at their convenience and at my expense.
I dont know why I didnt say anything when I was asked to falsify the charts..i just went along with it to "be a team player"

And to put my cards on the table, I did have an issue with Rx Norco a while back, but took 2 weeks off and used Suboxone to kick successfully..I have been clean (except for occasional MXE and monthly 2cX or DMT journeys for spiritual growth) for over 6 months. I never went to work "messed up" or placed patients in danger. I dont know if someone at the clinic said something or ratted me out..but this is a MESS. I did everything to clean myself up and they stab me in the back..

Should I file complaints against the facility or consult a lawyer? I am really scared and upset.

^Wow, I am appalled to learn the level of self-serving altering of charts going on where you work. What kind of facility is this? I don't think that you need to quit nursing but I do think you need a new job! I have many friends that are nurses and even one incident like that would be a major scandal--it just would not be tolerated. The fact that you had a supervisor coerce you into changing something to avoid problems is particularly disgusting. I think complaints against the facility are certainly in order.

I hope that you can get through this hearing and can move on, both psychologically and literally (a new job) because you put lots of time and effort into becoming a nurse. It is a good profession and there are good places to work. If you think that being called before the board will impact your career then I would definitely seek the counsel of a lawyer.

I do not blame you for being scared or upset--anyone would be! Try to stay calm and remind yourself that this will all be in the past soon enough. Good luck. Please let us know how it turns out. I really hope that you do not let this end your career.<3

I'm in the medical profession so let me give you some advice.

How often are you screened? And were you screened at the time the allegation was made? Going before the Board can be scary, so I would DEFINITELY see an attorney first, and I would consider having one with you when you appear. At this point, you don't want to surrender your license out of spite. And the last thing you want to do is say "well, they did this and they did that" because the Nursing Board really doesn't care what they did. They want to know what you did.

If they believe that you diverted substances, then the outcome could range from voluntary surrender to suspension. Voluntary surrender is usually the best way to go, and typically involves appearing for randomized screens, AA/NA meetings, joining a professional monitoring program, and meetings for impaired professionals. Your license may be surrendered/suspended for as long as up to 3-5 years, it all depends upon you. Expect to be screened at least twice weekly (you'll get a call in the am) and to be screened for EVERYTHING.

You will also have to disclose to the Board your history Norco abuse (especially where you got it, how you quit it, and where you got the Suboxone) and the DMT use. The statement you make to the Board is a sworn statement, so do not commit perjury. It's always better to tell the truth when it comes to the Board.

If you have a good attorney, they will focus only on the med error which will get you probation at the most.

If you want your license, you're going to have to fight for it. And you should. Don't anyone else with a grudge take it away from you. And remember what I said about the attorney.

Last edited:
This happened to two nurses at the psychiatric facility where I was employed a year ago. One fought for her license and won; the other, despite being completely innocent, was overcome by fear and panicked. Surrendered licensure without cause. She is still not the same person.

herbavore and Missykins both posted exactly what you need to hear right now.

1.) Attorney? Yes.
2.) If innocent, anticipate the conclusion to reflect this. Catastrophizing the future will only immobilize you.
3.) As stated you must do everything in your power to make rational (rather than reactionary, or emotional) decisions. This is where having legal representation can be invaluable.

I wish you the best, this is just terrible when it happens. And it happens all the time in the medical/psychiatric profession, believe me. In fact, and perhaps more importantly, believe in yourself. Please do not forget that.

Update us?
<3

~ Vaya