View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Plaquenil, Lamictal and LSD?

Kypeters321

Greenlighter
I have tripped before but I am on 200mg of Plaquenil which is new and so is the lamictal (100 mg). I was wondering if there are any drug interactions between the two as I am planning to trip soon.

I have tripped before but I am on 200mg of Plaquenil which is new and so is the lamictal (100 mg). I was wondering if there are any drug interactions between the two as I am planning to trip soon.

Quinoline-derived antibiotics are notorious for causing a slew of unpredictable side-effects in susceptible individuals, including tinnitus, psychosis and seizures.

They are also undeniably extremely effective at killing the fuck out of a number of dangerous pathogens, so if a doc is prescribing them to you, they probably did so with good reason. Consequently, I would encourage you to finish (as in "complete", not "abort") your course of antibiotics before experimenting with psychedelics.

Quinoline-derived antibiotics are notorious for causing a slew of unpredictable side-effects in susceptible individuals, including tinnitus, psychosis and seizures.

They are also undeniably extremely effective at killing the fuck out of a number of dangerous pathogens, so if a doc is prescribing them to you, they probably did so with good reason. Consequently, I would encourage you to finish (as in "complete", not "abort") your course of antibiotics before experimenting with psychedelics.

- I’m not on any antibiotics right now, which one do you think is the antibiotics??

Hodor referred to Plaquenil (i.e. hydroxychloroquine). If you're taking it short-term, finish it and don't use psychedelics until several weeks later; if long-term (as with lupus, for example), then you should forgo psychedelics. Ditto for Lamictal (i.e. lamotrigine), imo.

- I’m not on any antibiotics right now, which one do you think is the antibiotics??

As lamanogaucha correctly inferred, I was referring to the Plaquenil. It belongs to a class of drugs called quinolines, derived from the original anti-malarial drug, quinine. These drugs are highly effective at what they do, so they are still used despite their risk of major side-effects, since having malaria kind of fucking sucks.

I should have considered that in the Western world, they are perhaps more often used for the treatment of inflammatory diseases like lupus or arthritis, since they also have antiinflammatory effects. Again, those kinds of diseases fucking suck, so the quinolines are still used to keep them at bay (especially Plaquenil/hydroxychloroquine, which seems to be among the more well-tolerated ones).
However, my point still stands: This class of drugs may cause patients to exhibit a number of neurological symptoms and other side-effects, including seizures and psychotic behavior, so their use should not be taken lightly, and neither should patients just skip a few doses willy-nilly, in order to ensure the disease doesn't flare up again.

While LSD is normally a relatively benign substance, it can become an actual physiological risk when combined with e.g. lithium, producing seizures and dissociated behavior. Thus, I certainly wouldn't rule out a risk of negative interactions between LSD and the quinolines, which are already associated with a lowered seizure threshold and the emergence of sudden psychotic episodes.