• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

physical addiction to THC...?

Sorry if I'm wrong, but if you're experiencing withdrawl symptoms wouldn't that mean its addictive, if only mildly?

incident said:
I have always known about the physical changes that occur when going off pot (depending on who you are, how much you use, how fast you quit/stop, etc.) However, I don't know if this would certify an actual addiction. I think there is a difference between being addicted to a substance and "needing" it to move onto the next hour in your life and having physical affects because you have suddenly changed a habit... I mean even with caffeine people will get a headache if they have no coffee one day after having 5-6 cups everyday before that for a month, does this mean they are addicted to coffee or any chemical inside coffee? no..

I'm rambling right now but bottom line, I know there are physical "withdraws" (sorry to offend opiate users by tlking about "pot withdrawls"), but is there an addiction to THC? This therapist INSISTED that a patient was addicted, fiended for and needed THC to live. I doubt this highly, but I wanted to hear what other's thought.

Caffiene is horribly addictive. I rember whn i quit (I was taking about400-600 mg a day) I was physically incapacited for two days...sweats, twitching, dizziness, headaches, and putting full thought together was hard for one day

BilZ0r said:
Red-Haze: No, I didn't contract myself. Loose Stoole is a sign of a withdrawal syndrome. Physical "addiction" does not exist, that is to say, physical addiction is a misnomer.

That sentence in itself is worthy of a laugh. And no you didnt contract yourself, you did however contradict yourself.

Addiction: Repeating an action compulsively and irrationally even when it interferes with or causes problems with your life.

Physical Dependance: When you become dependant upon a substance to maintain daily living and if you suddenly stopped would experience withrawl symptoms such as vomiting, diahrea, cold/hot flashes, severe pain, insomnia, runny nose, cramps and so on.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS PHYSICAL ADDICTION! Every time someone utters those two words in tandem I want to puke. Stop!!! It is as said a misnomer. Stop yourself from repeating it, please?! You will sound much more intelligent and have helped to stop me from going insane. :X

Thanks!

Anyways, pot is addictive. Can't argue that one. It does not cause dependance like many other drugs. It only has some very minor withdrawl symptoms . I have dealt with anxiety, depression, lack of appetite and a few others, they just weren't that bad. Your therapist should be promptly beaten about the head with a stick for telling you this horseshit. ;)

Amen to that herojuana. Withdrawal symptomes do not equal addiction. There are hundreds of drugs which cause withdrawal symptomes. Corticosteroids for one, will kill you if you stop taking them after chronic use. No one has ever craved corticosteroids. Addiction is about neuronal changes that cause drug taking behaviour. What about nicotine? It has very limited withdrawal syndromes yet is very addictive. Likewise with coke.

Herojuana, that was probably the most insightful response I got on this forum. Heh - yeah I guess "physical addiction" doesn't really work.

247 said:
i have actually noticed increased appetite when stopping to smoke weed...then again, i very rarely get the munchies so...yeah.

same here, i only had the 'munchies' when i started smoking, then i'd just smoke to feed my hunger. also letme add i've known quite alot of fatso's turned skinny thanks to a healthy weed diet for a few years

One of my friends has smoked hash about 3-4 years daily. Monday he didn't smoke anything and at night he had a lot of cold sweat. He said he woke up soaked in sweat and that he couldn't sleep. I was also surprised, and I didn't know that THC could have these effect... guess i learned.

redeemer said:
One of my friends has smoked hash about 3-4 years daily. Monday he didn't smoke anything and at night he had a lot of cold sweat. He said he woke up soaked in sweat and that he couldn't sleep. I was also surprised, and I didn't know that THC could have these effect... guess i learned.

Which is probably why you'll want to do what Red-Haze said and consider taking a break every once in awhile.

TheHerojuana said:
Physical Dependance: When you become dependant upon a substance to maintain daily living and if you suddenly stopped would experience withrawl symptoms

It does not cause dependance like many other drugs. It only has some very minor withdrawl symptoms .

you just said dependence will cause withdrawl symptoms, and that cannabis does not cause dependence but does cause withdrawl symptoms.

anyways, i'll tell you now: if i were to run out of pot today, i would not be going outside tomorrow and probably for a few days because of over powering physical and mental effects. i'd lay in bed, feeling physically drained, my stomach hurting constantly, not being able to eat, having a massive headache and sweating like a pig. I usually lie in bed and try to sleep until i can hook up again. emotionally, i'll become very depressed and will easily become anxious. even greatly reducing my cannabis intake for a few days can cause these symptoms though not as badly.

everyone is different, but the body can become accustomed to regular cannabis intake and the withdrawl symptoms ARE NOT pleasant or minor in any way. It will take much longer compared to other drugs to build this kind of dependence but it's possible.

i've used opium poppy pods heavily for a month and found the poppy withdrawls easier to deal with than the withdrawl i get from years of similarly heavy pot use, though i did smoke pot during the opiate withdrawls and i dont usually use anything if withdrawling from pot.

with opiate withdrawl, i just feel really sick with the flu. with cannabis withdrawl, i feel really shitty and get tons of mental shit too. your experience may differ, but pot does cause physical dependence. take a break every now and again, before it becomes difficult to do easily.

Last edited:
^ friz nailed it. It's getting old when people defend weed to the end trying to say it can't cause physical or mental addiction/dependence whatever. My friend who was a big dealer just quit smoking the other day after smoking about an 1/8 a day for years. He hasn't eaten in two days, can't sleep for more than an hour without waking up sweating and having terrible nightmares, and is constantly angry and irritated with the tiniest little things (like misplacing car keys). I really feel for the guy and his symptoms have barely let up at all, but he's slowly adjusting. If that's not an addiction, then what the hell is?

Addiction isn't the same as withdrawal though.

Definatly sounds like withdrawal to me.

well regardless of the word, the original poster mentioned being "physically reliant upon THC to function"

this can happen. if i dont have cannabis, i will not be able to function normally, due to a combination of physical and mental effects

I have smoked every day and then not smoked at all. I have never had a withdrawl symptom from pot.

Stress and anxiety can cause symptoms like stomach problems and headaches. I believe that these physical symptoms come from people thinking/wanting/stressing about not smoking pot, rather than an actual physical withdrawl itself.

This is not to say quitting pot is any easier than anything else. If anything I would say it is harder, since it's all in your head. IMO, from everything I see, I think pot is extremely habit forming yet not physically addictive.

frizzantik said:
well regardless of the word, the original poster mentioned being "physically reliant upon THC to function"

this can happen. if i dont have cannabis, i will not be able to function normally, due to a combination of physical and mental effects

Odd..I can't function WITH THC active in my system!

:)

MynameisnotDeja said:
I have smoked every day and then not smoked at all.

how long did you smoke for? how much did you smoke every day? it takes years of heavy daily use to get major symptoms, which is why many users don't experience them. i'm glad you didnt have to.

i encourage people to not use pot heavily because the physical symptoms of withdrawl are not pleasant and make withstanding the mental withdrawl much harder

Last edited:
I smoked 30 cones a day for 2 years solidly and then went over seas. I smoked right up till an hour before i got on the plane and then stopped dead. I didn't feel bad for a second, or even miss it particularly. Mind you i didn't expect any kind of withdrawls so it could be a kind of placebo effect.

yeah.. you need to smoke potent cannabis many times a day for many years to get the major effects