• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Phenibut/valium

Mschneebes

Greenlighter
Hi, long time lurker here. I've used phenibut for basically almost 5 years. 3 month break here 2 weeks there periodically. Psychiatrist gave me valium to get off took valium for 2 weeks at 20mgs mostly. Was off valium for 16 days and phenibut for 32. On day 32 I dosed phenibut again on friday. Sunday I started having anxiety today it is 10 fold. Anyone with experience know if it's rebound anxiety from dosing phenibut or if it's valium wd creeping in causing anxiety? I took some gabapentin just so I could work today and curb anxiety. Any help is greatly appreciated.

You?ve been using phenibut for 5 years, then stopped for 32 days, then used again. Doesn?t sound weird to have some wd symptoms.
Stopping valium after 14 days and then having wd symptoms, 16 days after your last dosage, does sound improbable.
I think it?s the phenibut. I don?t have experience using such a long time. Based on my own experiences, you need to stop longer before you can take again... if ever...

Vazkor

You?ve been using phenibut for 5 years, then stopped for 32 days, then used again. Doesn?t sound weird to have some wd symptoms.
Stopping valium after 14 days and then having wd symptoms, 16 days after your last dosage, does sound improbable.
I think it?s the phenibut. I don?t have experience using such a long time. Based on my own experiences, you need to stop longer before you can take again... if ever...

Vazkor

Yeah I believe it wasn't long enough, and threw me into a minor withdrawal I hope. Thanks for the reply if anybody else has experienced with it please let me know

Might look into the ~Kindling_Effect~ but Vazkor sounds pretty spot on. Gabaergic "supplements" can cause issues for a while after cessation and increased sensitivity to future exposures can trigger exacerbated W/D's.

Please don't bump threads, the search engine has a wealth of Phenibut and GABA related W/D threads.

No worries, if you van get away from the Phenibut it's best not to look back in my opinion. If you need the occasional Benzo then so be it but they can drag one down and become far more trouble than they are worth if the history is long enough. Of course this is just my experience, your Doc/ Shrink might feel differently about the whole thing and they do have the nice framed "I come first" piece of paper on the wall.

^ Lovely piece of paper

This seems to verify some form of wd and rebound symptoms from gabapentin, which some say should not cause dependency

It?s my firm opinion, that almost anything taken daily or abused or long term or otherwise heavily etc can cause some form of ?dependency? as the body becomes adjusted, and then taking it away needs adjusting, and leads to some effects, even if more subtle

Not you OP, yours is not subtle, this is speaking generally of a vast number of substances; if you took moderate - high doses of Hydroxyzine everyday, for long enough, and went CT, so to speak, it wouldn?t surprise me if it were some subsequently uncomfortable to some point, as you have become both used too high doses of a potent H1 antagonist, and it also has other effects like mild(relatively) anti-anxiety effects, and more pronounced hypnotic/sedative effects, taking it away after long term adjustment of say, over 100mg per day, would produce some sort of rebound effect, as you have become adjusted to it- with any GABAergic, this goes beyond opionion pretty much, as J.A said, kindling has to be taken into effect, and with many/most substances it makes sense to at least me that other changes, neurochemical or otherwise, can take place, and result in some discomfort

It?s a bit off-topic, though goes to using phenibut(which personally wouldn?t mind trying as a co-medication and wd/taper(even if temporary) supplement

Wish you luck and feel for you, OP

Know all about needing gabaergics and going without-if you can get through this and function reasonably, it will at the very least be an accomplishment

For more info on Phenibut, they?re are better people to ask(come to me about opioids, and benzodiazepines and other gaba heavy hitters, and antihistamines and a range of other of other things(before epilepsy/ill health, an avid retro gamer) though others know of this better

Luck again

Lorne, or ???

Let's not forget that a month after stopping something, one day, on a random day, oddly cold for being so sunny outside--a mere 25C in these parts for a Valentine's Eve--a sudden frisson of fear, an electric sting of anxiety, may occur suddenly, and without warning.

Totally and wholly unrelated to whatever the thing was you'd successfully quit over a month ago. Might even come back worse two days later, as anxiety is known to do. And with another non-bumped-thread passage of time--poof! it's gone again.

As far as I know, there are no cures for anxiety. Even bilateral amygdalectomies* don't protect you from the panic that comes with acidosis. You can be certain, even after kicking benzos, booze, pregabalin, phenibut, kava and Sharpies, and clean for decades, you will feel anxious again at some point.

Or, after a five year habit, you might have had a ping of a post-acute-withdrawal symptom. Although you never went through an acute withdrawal, sounds like. So a non-acute-non-withdrawal symptom.

My point, which wasn't meant to sound so condescending, is that anxiety is a normal part of the human condition.

*I really don't know if we each have one or two amygdalae.

* There are two-they can cause fear though, then again they each do slightly different things, supposedly involved in reward whatcmacallit, though really think/thought of them as emotional(or something)

Didn't read it was random over a month later, more like paws combined with legitimate anxiety as you said

Stand by everything else that was said-by me :) no seriously, still think a vast number of substances can cause changes/discomfort if removed suddenly that could be akin to a more traditional "wd" syndrome(though maybe not lethal)

Not a phenibut expert, not at all, stress that again

There is no way your feeling withdrawal from valium after taking that dose for 2 weeks. Most likely the Phenibut.

For those wondering or if anyone else stumbles upon here with similar question. That 1 day of phenibut use after 32 days clean threw me into about a 4 day withdrawal. Day 1 off later at night in started, day 2 was the worst, 3 was ok and 4 seemed to disappear. Although day 1 and 2 I took 2.5 mg valium at night and gabapentin during the day.

^ Lovely piece of paper

This seems to verify some form of wd and rebound symptoms from gabapentin, which some say should not cause dependency

It?s my firm opinion, that almost anything taken daily or abused or long term or otherwise heavily etc can cause some form of ?dependency? as the body becomes adjusted, and then taking it away needs adjusting, and leads to some effects, even if more subtle

Not you OP, yours is not subtle, this is speaking generally of a vast number of substances; if you took moderate - high doses of Hydroxyzine everyday, for long enough, and went CT, so to speak, it wouldn?t surprise me if it were some subsequently uncomfortable to some point, as you have become both used too high doses of a potent H1 antagonist, and it also has other effects like mild(relatively) anti-anxiety effects, and more pronounced hypnotic/sedative effects, taking it away after long term adjustment of say, over 100mg per day, would produce some sort of rebound effect, as you have become adjusted to it- with any GABAergic, this goes beyond opionion pretty much, as J.A said, kindling has to be taken into effect, and with many/most substances it makes sense to at least me that other changes, neurochemical or otherwise, can take place, and result in some discomfort

It?s a bit off-topic, though goes to using phenibut(which personally wouldn?t mind trying as a co-medication and wd/taper(even if temporary) supplement

Wish you luck and feel for you, OP

Know all about needing gabaergics and going without-if you can get through this and function reasonably, it will at the very least be an accomplishment

For more info on Phenibut, they?re are better people to ask(come to me about opioids, and benzodiazepines and other gaba heavy hitters, and antihistamines and a range of other of other things(before epilepsy/ill health, an avid retro gamer) though others know of this better

Luck again

Lorne, or ???

Funny you say that because doctor also gave me vistaril with valium to help with anxiety