• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Pet Peeves v. u mad?

When people say "literally" for something that isn't/wasn't literal.

For example: Someone says they "literally fell on [their] ass!" yet fell forward, onto their hands and knees--They did not literally fall on their ass.

Another was literally spotted on a box of sprouted pasta: "[The pasta] is literally bursting with nutrients!" If it was bursting, I certainly wouldn't have bought it!

Not really a peeve of mine but it was recently pointed out to me and it literally jumps out at me now.

this oatmeal comic will literally make you giggle then ;)

^ That literally made me laugh out loud. Thanks! :D

I now have another comic to check frequently. :p

i hate bicycles on sidewalks. especially when the entire street is closed to everything but human powered things.

^ Some people feel safer riding on the sidewalk--Though it is not really all that safe. I mean, I got hit by a car while biking on the sidewalk: They were coming out of a fast food place's parking lot. 8( Thankfully they weren't going very fast, though they did not stop to ask if I was okay. I detest riding on the sidewalk now for the above reason and because of the bumpy nature of it, but there are places where it is unavoidable. :-/

i understand that. but the whole stretch of road was closed to motorized vehicles specifically so people could ride their bikes on it. so i don't think riding on the sidewalk was a safety issue. its just people who think its fun to try to run down people who are walking.

i hate bicycles on sidewalks. especially when the entire street is closed to everything but human powered things.

Bicycles ARE considered a pedestrian though. And pedestrians belong on the sidewalk. :p

I bike on the street when I can / when it feels safe to do so. Otherwise, sidewalk it is.

^ Nope, bicycles are not considered pedestrians. At least not in New York State:

"Section 102. BICYCLE. Every two or three wheeled device upon which a person or persons may ride, propelled by human power [...] and intended for use only on a sidewalk by pre-teenage children.
Section 130. PEDESTRIAN. Any person afoot or in a wheelchair."

But, a bicycle is not a vehicle:

"Section 159. VEHICLE. Every device in, upon, or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway, except devices moved by human power or used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks." :p

Don't want to turn this into a debate, but just figured I'd provide some laws for accuracy of definitions relating to the law.

Bicycles ARE considered a pedestrian though. And pedestrians belong on the sidewalk.

they are not where i live, where you can get a ticket for riding on the sidewalk if you are over the age of 12. you can also get a dwi for bicycling while impaired.

^ Nope, bicycles are not considered pedestrians. At least not in New York State:

"Section 102. BICYCLE. Every two or three wheeled device upon which a person or persons may ride, propelled by human power [...] and intended for use only on a sidewalk by pre-teenage children.

"Section 159. VEHICLE. Every device in, upon, or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway, except devices moved by human power or used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks." :p

Don't want to turn this into a debate, but just figured I'd provide some laws for accuracy of definitions relating to the law.

So a skate board should be on the road?

I generally prefer to ride on the road except when there is heavy traffic. Buses generally make me nervous when the road is particularly narrow.

A skateboard has four wheels, so it doesn't appear to fit the criteria for any category, according to the state of NY. :p

Anywho, two major peeves of mine: Realizing you didn't wash something needed that is very obviously dirty after getting done doing a lot of laundry. The other is getting done doing a lot of laundry and spilling something on a clothing item. Grr.

although i don't mind on casual forums, people with bad grammar, my stupid neighbor upstairs that sweeps all their ash and shit on our patio when we're sitting outside. my BIGGEST one though would be racism/discrimination against gay people, lesbians, transgenders, whatever you happen to be. i can't stand people who voice their opinion over and over. you can have your own opinion, but if yours is different from someone else then drop it and not discuss it. and you can't help what color you're born so that really bothers me.

sorry this turned into a rant, and i hope i didn't offend anyone because that wasn't my intention and those are touchy subjects for some

So a skate board should be on the road?

I generally prefer to ride on the road except when there is heavy traffic. Buses generally make me nervous when the road is particularly narrow.

Exactly. So if it's not a pedestrian and not a vehicle, who can possibly tell us it belongs on the road or on the sidewalk?

Too bad cops won't take your developed argument as valid when they give you a ticket for telling your kid to stay on the sidewalk so they don't get hit while riding around the neighborhood.

A skateboard has four wheels, so it doesn't appear to fit the criteria for any category, according to the state of NY. :p

Anywho, two major peeves of mine: Realizing you didn't wash something needed that is very obviously dirty after getting done doing a lot of laundry. The other is getting done doing a lot of laundry and spilling something on a clothing item. Grr.

Ppppppppssssssssssssttttttttttttttttttttt...
NSFW:
handwash them.

i have probably posted this in one of the previous peeves threads, but i haven't introduced myself to someone as mike since i was in high school. this is because i prefer being called michael. when i tell you my name is michael, it would be nice if you actually called me that.

*especially* if we are not friends.

one time my doctor called me mikey. wtf is that? i do you the professional courtesy of calling you doctor. it would be nice if you returned the favor, jerkass.

i have probably posted this in one of the previous peeves threads, but i haven't introduced myself to someone as mike since i was in high school. this is because i prefer being called michael. when i tell you my name is michael, it would be nice if you actually called me that.

*especially* if we are not friends.

one time my doctor called me mikey. wtf is that? i do you the professional courtesy of calling you doctor. it would be nice if you returned the favor, jerkass.

My name is Margaret. Here is my list of nicknames (some used to bother me, but I don't care anymore) people refer to me by:

Maggie
Mags
Magret
Margie
Marge
Maggles
Magnum
Magasaurus
Magdaleon
Mag
Lambchop (family nickname)
Maggie Moo
Maggers
and the list goes on.

If you don't want someone to call you a name other than Michael, ignore their response. Then, when they get pissed, say "I'm sorry, are you talking to me? My name is Michael." Keep doing it until they get the point.

If you don't want someone to call you a name other than Michael, ignore their response. Then, when they get pissed, say "I'm sorry, are you talking to me? My name is Michael." Keep doing it until they get the point.
LOL, it works too!

Peeves from working in an office:

1)
Person A: Hey.
Person B: How are you?
Person B keeps walking not expecting an answer. OR Person A doesn't answer.

WTF, you asked me a question! (Or I asked you!) Either way, when I ask someone a question, I kind of expect an answer. And when I am asked something, I feel an answer should be given!

2)
Person A: How are you?
Person B: I'm okay. How are you?
Person A: Good.

Is it good that I am okay, or are you "good"? 8(

3)
Person A: Hey, how are you?
Person B: Good.

And just walks away. Isn't it courtesy to ask how someone else is doing if they ask you?

I understand people are busy and I don't expect people to stop and have a five minute conversation in the hall, but how much time/effort does it take to show courtesy? Or was I the only one raised that when asked how you are it is polite to ask that person how they are? And to answer them and not just keep walking? 8(

Reason number 239 why I'll never get a permanent (or a career-type) job working in an office.

1)
Person A: Hey.
Person B: How are you?
Person B keeps walking not expecting an answer. OR Person A doesn't answer.

Managers do this a lot. It's like they are attempting to acknowledge your existence, but fail miserably. Edit: If person B keeps walking, you bet your sorry ass I'm not answering you.

I'll take a smile and a nod.

2)
Person A: How are you?
Person B: I'm okay. How are you?
Person A: Good.

This one is one that gets me. Sometimes, there isn't enough time to say all of this while you're walking by one another! So it's kind of said to the person after you've already walked away. Hahahahaha. Make that imagination in your mind; it'll make you giggle. What bad manners.

3)
Person A: Hey, how are you?
Person B: Good.

If I'm person B, I thank the person for their words. "Good, thank you." When person B is someone else, I just keep on walking. They're too busy to talk, it's okay. (or if you're in an office, they are too mentally busy to ask)

I hate that I always lose lighters....
I have nine or ten floating around my house and at work.

i find that instead of ignoring someone the way a 5 year old would, it wastes a lot less of my own time to just ask them to call me by my given name instead. this also avoids multiplying the annoyance of everyone involved.

this of course does not solve the problem that i find it annoying in the first place.