• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Perth - YOUR RIGHTS REGARDING SEARCHES

i think what madman project is getting at is that refusing a search is not suspicious to the law, but suspcious to the police officers themselves.

having 2 mates that are cops i know for a fact and nothing will change my mind that if they want to search you they can search you, at the end of the day its your word against theirs

I do not deny that either. That does not mean that you cannot beat them though, and beat any charge that arises from it. Granted, for those that do not have the knowledge and the finances to fund a strong defence, it is an unfair situation. I certainly agree that the power lies with the police, but it does not mean an abuse of that power will not be acknowledged by a Court and acted on accordingly.

Originally posted by Biscuit
"he was walking with a swagger and looked nervous when I stroked my holster"

hehehe :D

Hey drinky_mcbeer here is that link.

(I can't recall by whom, but I think that I first accessed that page thanks to a link from a post here at Bluelight. If that's the case, then credit goes out to whoever it was that threw the link up...they know who they are)

It discusses police powers in NSW, it's a good read. Just scroll down to the sections on searches, reasonable suspicion etc. It is probably similar to the legislation in other states, but anyone who wants specific info should definitely look up laws in their own state.

Like with drug use, the best way to protect yourself from 'rights-abuse' is to educate yourself, and try to safely put the knowledge into practice when the time comes. It will certainly come in handy one day.

I still say that if approached by an officer who requested a search that you refused, it would not be to far a stretch of the imagination for that officer to press you "what do you have to hide" , "wait we want to ask you some questions (name, address etc.)" and if they really wanted too, search you.

"Your honor on further questioning the witness became nervous and evasive."

Especially considering the circumstances you are likely to encounter a police search request in. It's doubtful you are going to get a search request on your way to the office at 9am Monday morning in a shirt an tie.

3am on Nightclub St. is a different story...

Most police actions are geared with this in mind

I'm not talking about rights or if they can or can't, the truth is if they really want to they will.

You only have to give them name and address nothing else...

You don't have to say a word.

Does anyone have a link to the page about the law regarding police searches for WA? Would be great so we can gather some info which would be worthwhile.

YOUR RIGHTS REGARDING SEARCHES:
you can all sit round talking about your gay lil rights, but reality is you don't fucking have any, if the cops an asshole and your 17. Drugs are illegal and if you have drugs or have used drugs then thats reason and considering a minority of people on this site use drugs, i don't how this isn't just another law bending thread.

Police can't search you without a parent/guardian next to you if you're 17 :)

I fucking didn't say anything about drugs...and your post made no sense whatsoever. Only a 'Minority' use drugs on this forum....but im pretty sure a minority is only a small amount....so don't know where you got that from.

How is this law bending? Its the fucking law, you can't bend it, maybe loopholes but really you're either breaking it you're not...police have to abide by rules too, after all they don't make them, they just simply enforce them. Its just nice to know the law...you know the fucking traffic laws don't you? Would you pay a speeding fine if you got say 6 points taken off you and a $600 fine if you were positive you weren't speeding? I think not....

Get some sleep.

huh? - sounds like a responsible thread that is talking about a citizen's right. Simply because most people don't actually utilise the rights our society provides them doesn't make them gay (rights that is). If a 17 year old is too stupid to make a complaint wouldn't that make it their problem, in they're letting the cops get away with it.

Just wanted to know though - if you took the cops to court for an illegal search would costs be given if you succeeded.

Also is the onus on the cops to prove that the search was legal or is it on you to prove that it was illegal?

so basically you have to let the police search you but can only get off a charge in court if the police hasnt made an officail suspicion thingy? a car i was driving last time i got done for pissy was searched and the cop found a plastic bag in the ash tray and he was like ahh wats this then but wen he put the torch onit it was disposeable ear plugs, fuk i laughed then the went through the whole vehicle and he said he was gonna give me a yellow sticker then i laughed even harder cos the car had only done 900kms

I think regardless of "reasonable suspicion" if you are caught in possesion of drugs you're fucked.

You'd need O.J.'s lawyer to get you off on that one.

^^(MaDMAn_Project) Wrong again man. If you are caught with a baggie that has trace amounts of, say, amphetamine left in it, and that baggie was found after an illegal and unauthorised search by a police officer, then you are not fucked - because the judge will probably reject the evidence based upon the fact that legislation was violated by the police officer who obtained the evidence AND because it is such a ridiculously minor charge (if it does end up going to court...).

Think of it this way - if a police officer busted down your door and searched your house without a warrant or permission because he saw you smoking a joint on the porch the week before, and found two ounces of pot under your bed, would your possession of a prohibited substance negate the fact that he broke the law himself in finding that evidence? FUCK NO! The situation is no different with illegal searches, except that it is easier for cops to get away with an illegal search of person than an illegal search of private premises, and alot of the time this is due to people being ignorant of their rights, or lacking the confidence (or will) to use and uphold them.

Why do you think they dick people around with sniffer dogs? If it is considered reasonable suspicion to look or act a certain way, or to fit a certain stereotype, why don't they just hang around Newtown or Oxford St and walk up to people and search them when they'll most probably find drugs or some shit? Because you need reasonable cause - so they manufacture it by using unreliable dogs.....that's another issue itself anyway.

As for people commenting on the real world situation, realise that you are just making an observation, not explaining how things are legally, eg:
I still say that if approached by an officer who requested a search that you refused, it would not be to far a stretch of the imagination for that officer to press you "what do you have to hide" , "wait we want to ask you some questions (name, address etc.)" and if they really wanted too, search you.

That is probably an accurate observation of what goes on. But try to understand that we are supposed to be protected from such abuses of power because we are all presumed innocent until proven guilty... and the law has provisions in place to prevent us from being victimised by authorities for looking a certain way or being out at a certain time etc. Objections and follow-up complaints when you are a victim of scenarios as described in the observation above are the best way to ensure that the system is tightened and that police are taught that it is immoral to misuse power despite the (usually insignificant) outcome; if there is a real need for greater provision of power, then let society and government provide new framework for how policing shall be conducted. But until then, don't throw your hands in the air and decide that because you were doing something illegal, or have done something illegal, that it is ok for a police officer to overstep the boundary that is assigned to him/her by your democratic representative in parliament, because ultimately if that mentality were to become widespread then even innocent people would frequently become victims of police overconfidence.

The issue was also discussed in the April 1999 issue of Policing Issues and Practice Journal which commented:

It is extremely difficult to explain what is meant by the term 'reasonable suspicion' beyond that the suspicion must be reasonable in all the circumstances of the particular case. Case law provides some guidance but courts tend to make their assessment on a number of factors rather than any single issue. Suffice to say that you should be prepared to explain why and how you developed your suspicion that the person should be subjected to a search and what you were searching for...Whether your suspicion is reasonable or not is a matter for the court to decide.82

Let's say an officer was questioned in a court and said "Well, suspect was walking along at 3am and looked nervous - I stopped and asked him to empty his pockets and he said no, so I asked what he was hiding and when he replied "nothing", I asked him again to empty his pockets and he again refused. So I searched him....for drugs."

That is the scenario many of you paint - do you think that if the case went to court, that the judge would be satisfied with that? I hope not, but then again I wouldnt be surprised if they were :\ . Police frequently use the excuse that a crime occurred in the area not too long before they stumbled upon you, and so you are to be subjected to a search. That, along with other factors, may be considered reasonable cause, and therein lies the problem.... because often they may be full of shit. But then I guess restrictions are placed on how thorough their search may be, what kind of crime it was etc, and ultimately if it went to the courts one could investigate whether or not any incident had actually occurred in the area prior to your detainment. Or they could just say that you reeked like gunja....that is the big problem with reasonable suspicion....what VelocideX said in the second post of this thread is the case much of the time, and that is why many cops feel comfortable to act on their own unreasonable judgements.

Oops, just after I wrote the above I found this:

The article went on to say that both the NSW Ombudsman and the Police Service Code of Practice for CRIME have 'expressed the view that it is unreasonable for police officers to stop, detain and search pedestrians under s357E(a) of the Crimes Act (NSW) merely because of their presence in the vicinity of an offence'.83 Officers were also advised in the article not to search 'people just as a matter of routine', and not to use special legislative search powers 'opportunistically' - 'don't use your power to search for knives to carry out a search when your suspicion relates to drugs'.84

Anyway, I don't like people justifying police abuse of powers by saying that we should be accepting of it since we are in possession of an illegal substance. Fuck that, I think it is unreasonable to think of myself as a criminal for walking around with two pills on me, and therefore I will not accept any search that falls short of being completely legal and within the limits of powers prescribed to police in my jurisdiction without objection. Apologies for the thick post....I need a good police beating to get me into line.

Last edited:
You don't post often but when you do you make it worthwhile :)

We're not talking about house searches we're talking about personal searches and I wasn't suggesting that a bag with trace elements of anything would land you a charge.

But walking around with a bag containing trace elements of amphetamine sounds pretty suspicious, no?

I believe that "reasonably suspicious" or not if you have drugs on and you get searched you're screwed.

Let's say an officer was questioned in a court and said "Well, suspect was walking along at 3am and looked nervous - I stopped and asked him to empty his pockets and he said no, so I asked what he was hiding and when he replied "nothing", I asked him again to empty his pockets and he again refused. So I searched him....for drugs."

That is the scenario many of you paint - do you think that if the case went to court, that the judge would be satisfied with that?

I reckon if the officer had a bag of pills they found on you the judge would be very satisfied.

I'm not saying it's right, it's not, it's fucked. I'm just saying it's real and if people think they can hide behind "reasonable suspicion" they're as deluded as people who believe in entrapment.

Last edited:
I likey NSW

Madman, I can appreciate what you're saying, and I am on a mission to overturn your loss of faith in the system that protects your civil liberty.

I'm not saying it's right, it's not, it's fucked. I'm just saying it's real and if people think they can hide behind "reasonable suspicion" they're as deluded as people who believe in entrapment.

Again, I must vigorously dispute your unfair labelling of people who understand the legislation behind reasonable suspicion as "deluded". I will do it the professional way and cite a case.

I have selected some particularly relevant and interesting chunks from this case transcript and reproduced them below.

Local Court of New South Wales
CITATION: Police v Adrian Ping [2003] NSWLC 15
JURISDICTION: Criminal
PARTIES: Police v Adrian Ping
FILE NUMBER:
PLACE OF HEARING: Wollongong Local Court
DATE OF DECISION: 17/12/2003

1 On the 19th May 2003 at Corrimal Adrian PING (d.o.b. 27.1.1983) was arrested and charged with the offences of (1) refuse to comply with request to search (Summary Offences Act…S.28A(5)), (2) resist police in the execution of their duty and (3) intimidate police officer.

2 On that day the three arresting police were taking part in “proactive tasking”. I understand that to mean that they were directed to work in a particular area because of recorded information as the number of offences committed in that area. As they drove in their marked police vehicle, they saw four males on pushbikes riding on the footpath. They were going in the same direction as the police vehicle. The males commenced to ride faster. The police thought this happened when the males noticed the police. The males rode through the next intersection against a red traffic light. The police waited at the red light then proceeded to follow the males.

3 By the time the police caught up with the males, they had gone 1 to 1.2 kilometres further down the road. The police vehicle pulled in front of the males and stopped. The police got out and signalled the males to stop. Two rode around the police, into a park and disappeared. The other two stopped. One of those who stopped was Mr Ping. He stopped on the roadway adjacent to the police car.

4 He was asked to get off the road and go to the footpath. He said “Fuckin get out of me way”. He was asked again and said “I’m not fucken movin.” The senior of the three police officers (Senior Constable West) then approached the accused and said “Adrian can you get off the road. I’m going to subject you to a knife search, as I believe by your actions of riding away quickly when you saw Police that you may be carrying some sort of weapon, the way you are carrying on now is also reinforcing this belief”. The accused replied “Mr West I just got out of gaol and the first cop I meet is you, ya fuckin kiddin”. Senior Constable West then formally demanded that the accused comply with the request for the search.

5 The accused refused to submit to the search. During the interaction with police he said “I just wanta go” and later “Ya touch me I’ll knock ya fuckin out” . Senior Constable West said “I’m going to conduct a knife search and if there is nothing there you can go”. He went to get the metal detector and he heard the accused say to another officer “Ya come near me, I’ll knock ya out, I’ll drop ya with one punch ya cunt”.

6 Senior Constable West returned and said “Adrian I’ve given you a fair go here, you are now under arrest for intimidating that officer and I still intend to conduct the knife search”. The accused dropped his bike and commenced to run. He was grabbed, struggled, placed on the ground and handcuffed. He was subjected to the knife search and nothing was found.

7 At the end of the prosecution case, the court heard submissions as to the validity of the search. Section 28A(1) of the Summary Offences Act 1988 provides:

(1) If a police officer suspects on reasonable grounds that a person who is in a public place or a school has a dangerous implement in his or her custody, the police officer may request the person to submit to a search comprising any or all of the following procedures: ……

8 The definition of a dangerous implement is

“dangerous implement” includes:

(a) a knife, or (b) a firearm (within the meaning of the Firearms Act 1996), or (c) a prohibited weapon (within the meaning of the Weapons Prohibition Act 1998 ), or (d) an offensive implement within the meaning of section 11B but does not include anything that is of a class or description declared by the regulations to be excluded from this definition.

9 The section then goes on and sets out searching procedures. The evidence of Senior Constable West was that his reasonable grounds for suspicion were that he was working as part of “proactive tasking”, that he had some knowledge of the sort of crime committed in the area, that the accused sped off on his bicycle when he saw the police, that the accused rode through a red light and that, when stopped, the accused was aggressive and refused to be searched. In addition, Senior Constable West said that he knew the defendant and he knew that he had a prior conviction for a knife offence.

10 The court held that the officer’s suspicion was not based on reasonable grounds. It is not enough for the officer to have a suspicion. The suspicion must be based on reasonable grounds. The test of reasonable grounds is an objective test. Streat v. Bauer. Streat v. Blanco. NSWSC 16.3.1998 Smart J. at p.11. Patrolling on “proactive tasking” does not mean that a particular person, without more, could be suspected of carrying a dangerous implement. The accused and his friends may have sped off on their bicycles for any number of reasons. A reasonable suspicion that the accused was carrying a dangerous implement could not be based on the perceived flight. His behaviour when stopped was aggressive and abusive. “ Bold and irritating conduct must be distinguished from conduct which might be characterised as suspicious” (Streat v. Bauer. Streat v. Blanco at p.13). The defendants in that case refused to get out of the car for several minutes; when they got out of the car they locked it but left the engine running; they challenged the police to arrest them or let them go; when they were not arrested they walked off; they returned at the request of the police; they refused to open the car; they lay down on the ground and curled up so that it would be difficult for the police to search [ed - good on them, clever way to uphold your civil liberties without causing shit with violence or abuse]. All this was described as “bold and irritating” but not enough to found a reasonable suspicion. The defendant’s behaviour – riding off, verbal abuse, refusal to be searched – is not enough to justify a reasonable suspicion that he may be carrying an offensive implement. Although the defendant had a prior knife offence, no details were provided to the court as the circumstances of the previous offence, the nature of the implement or the date of the offence. In any event, a prior offence is not of itself enough to establish a reasonable suspicion that the accused has a dangerous implement in his possession. To use an analogy, if a house is validly searched with a search warrant and a hydroponic drug system found with many cannabis plants, that does not mean that in 6 months time a search warrant could be validly issued because of the previous use of the premises for that purpose. There would need to be new information to establish reasonable grounds to suspect that drugs were again being grown on the premises. There must be reasonable grounds to suspect that the accused was carrying a dangerous implement. There were none. The request to carry out the search and the subsequent search after arrest were not based on reasonable grounds and were unlawful. The information under section 28A of refusing to submit to the search was dismissed.

Link

(To the extent of my research, I have not yet found that this ruling was overturned or appealed. I am 99% sure it wasn't, but I'm covering my tracks just incase)

Now Mr Ping not only refused politely and firmly, which is the wisest way to do it, but he told the coppa “Ya come near me, I’ll knock ya out, I’ll drop ya with one punch ya cunt :X 8o” and the charge of refusing to submit to the search was still not upheld. This case exemplifies the difference between police as law enforcers, and courts as places of justice where legislation is taken seriously. I sincerely doubt that EVEN IF they had found a knife, that it would have been admissible as evidence. Anything short of a bazooka or dynamite vest wouldn't have been upheld as lawful evidence.....

But I can't take that for granted. If you are still not satisfied, I will eventually dig up one where evidence was found and then dismissed as unlawful. If I had some meth I'd blaze away all night, memorising the case history of NSW Local Courts. But I don't, and uni starts in 9 hours.

The proof is in the pudding MaDMAn_Project.

Just thought I'd add this (from same page as above):

13 Section 138 of the Evidence Act provides:

“Exclusion of improperly or illegally obtained evidence

(1) Evidence that was obtained:

(a) improperly or in contravention of an Australian law, or
(b) in consequence of an impropriety or of a contravention of an Australian law, is not to be admitted unless the desirability of admitting the evidence outweighs the undesirability of admitting evidence that has been obtained in the way in which the evidence was obtained.

(2)………..
(3) Without limiting the matters that the court may take into account under subsection (1), it is to take into account:
(a) the probative value of the evidence; and
(b) the importance of the evidence in the proceeding; and
(c) the nature of the relevant offence, cause of action or defence and the nature of the subject-matter of the proceeding; and
(d) the gravity of the impropriety or contravention; and
(e) whether the impropriety or contravention was deliberate or reckless; and
(f) whether the impropriety or contravention was contrary to or inconsistent with a right of a person recognised by the Internationl Coventant on Civil and Political Rights; and
(g) whether any other proceeding (whether or not in a court) has been or is likely to be taken in relation to the impropriety or contravention; and
(h) the difficulty (if any) of obtaining the evidence without impropriety or contravention of an Australian law”

Originally posted by MaDMAn_Project
I reckon if the officer had a bag of pills they found on you the judge would be very satisfied.

A bag with a few pills obtained by police as the result of an unlawful search would most likely be inadmissible as evidence in court, judging by the Evidence Act s 138.

Last edited:
And also....

We're not talking about house searches we're talking about personal searches and I wasn't suggesting that a bag with trace elements of anything would land you a charge.

I was using an analogy, trying to show that whilst both personal and property searches have foundations in law, abuse of personal search powers is more tolerated than abuse of premises search powers. Even though searching premises without a warrant is by its nature far more serious, abuse of either of those police powers should not be tolerated. So why tolerate having your pockets searched unlawfully when you wouldn't tolerate having your wardrobe searched unlawfully? Furthermore, a bag with trace elements of a prohibited substance would land you with a Possess Prohibited Substance charge, or caution, depending on the drug and the officer's discretion. Had you suggested that a bag with trace elements would land you a charge, you would have been correct.

But walking around with a bag containing trace elements of amphetamine sounds pretty suspicious, no?

Not as suspicious as walking around with a 40kg bag of amphetamine under your shirt and eating pringles?? I don't get it though....it doesn't sound suspicious to me, unless it's my girlfriend doing the walking and me looking for my trace elements....

Charles for those of us that might be slightly confused by this criss-cross of posts been made in this thread, could you advise us EXACTLY what to do if say... caught with a bad containing some reefer.

I dont want to get caught, say nothing, waste 4 hours being detained, go to court, tell the judge not guilty and for whatever reaosn have the evidence allowed.

Thanks for trying to restore my faith in the system Charles and I'm really enjoying our discussion here, the point i'm trying to make is that if you are in possession of drugs and are searched otherwise loose grounds for "reasonable suspicion" become extremely plausible as you are committing an offence.

The case you presented had a search which turned up nothing. In that case I am absolutely with you on the "reasonable suspicion" not being present.

Trying to argue your way out of a possession charge in front of a magistrate using the reasonable suspicion defence while the prosecution has a bag of pills, probably isn't going to work. Magistrates take a very dim view of people who try to loophole their way out of obvious convictions. Again you'll need to call O.J.'s lawyer.

Walking around with a bag containing trace elements of amphetamine doesn't sound suspicious to you!? How so...

Winterborn heres a tasty little loophole you might like... say "I just found the pills, I don't know what they are and I'm on my way to the police station to hand them in" You will need balls of steel, not being off chops or wearing rave gear for this one though.

Winterborn

Well I can give you some advice, but know that I'm no legal professional, and what I know is learnt mostly from reading up on legal advice online and in publications, as well as legislation and stuff like that. Take my advice with a grain of salt, and confirm it for yourself and with relevance to your state/territory before relying on it in practice or in a police encounter. The advice below is adapted from my understanding of NSW legislation.

Let me offer everyone my first piece of advice (I'm hoping that advice such as this is not inappropriate....but anyway) - carry any illicit drugs that you have on your person INSIDE your underwear. That way, if you are overly intimidated by police, you may (but shouldn't!) submit to/or be forced to accept a search of your person (i.e. pockets, wallet, casual frisk) and the police will not find your gear - intrusive searches, like strip searches, require actions and circumstances that greatly differ from those of casual street stop searches. For instance, they must be conducted behind closed doors at a police station and by an appropriate officer - and most importantly, I think they may only be conducted AFTER an arrest has occurred, especially since you are not obliged to (and should not) accompany a police officer anywhere unless he expressly informs you that you are under arrest and are to be taken back to a police station.

If you do this, try to make sure that you aren't carrying a large amount of drugs, because if an officer decides to be extra thorough and grab around your nuts (or whatever genitals you house in your underwear) and happens to feel a huge bulge, he will ask you to produce it and you are obliged to do so (it all might sound pretty exciting to some folks, but recall what context this is happening in...). It is unlikely that an officer would grope your nads, but be on the safe side and only carry small amounts of prohibited drugs stashed there and you have a very very low chance of getting caught AS LONG AS YOU CAN STAY CALM and not let them do anything that you think they are not allowed to.....and do not volunteer to go anywhere with them, or to drop your pants and dance for them.....

Remember, you haven't killed or hurt anyone (hopefully), you have a few pills or some powder or buds, and you want to live the only life you are ever going to get the way you want to live it. There are people in uniforms out there who are willing to fuck you over without giving much consideration to the hypocrisy and futility of prohibitive and criminal legislation that they must enforce. They are not robots, they are human beings, and although they will justify fucking you over by accusing you of doing something illegal (as will other people), you should feel morally confident in your decision to object against unfair laws by engaging in a form of civil disobedience. What I'm saying is don't feel guilty about hiding things in your undies and getting away with it..... read on:

So, read my previous posts if you want to understand laws regarding searches and arm yourself with that knowledge so that you can reduce the risk of having drugs found on you. Prevention beats cure, but let's have a quick look at what your options are if you do get nabbed with, say, 2grams of bud.

In NSW, the officer decides whether they will issue you with a caution for cannabis possession, or (I'm presuming) if they'd rather issue you with a court summons where you will face a charge of Possess Prohibited Substance or something along those lines.... A caution will involve accompanying the police officer to the station so that you may sign the formal caution document; if you refuse you will be arrested and charged I guess... Also, I'm sure police throughout the state do other things too, and you can definitely believe that there are great cops out there who will just make you trash the bud in front of them and let you go with a warning. Such cops are probably few and far between, but I'm sure they exist, and big ups to them. (Note: in NSW I'm pretty sure that the caution system exists only with cannabis offences; 'harder' drugs might attract a mandatory summons; Read up on this....)

This (officer discretion) is incentive to be respectful and courteous to the police officer, in the hope that you just get slapped a caution or less, then go home after half an hour and pack up a big party cone of some other gear to celebrate the fact that you don't live in New York or Thailand. HOWEVER, being respectful and courteous does not mean that you have to answer questions that will incriminate you further.....be careful, and remember that the cops are not your buddies; be friendly, but also keep your guard up and don't talk shit - just tell them what you are obliged to, and if you want to answer their other questions take your time and ensure that you do not incriminate yourself or anyone else. E.g.

Cop: "Where did you get the yarnhdi sonny jim?"
You: "I found it at Bonzo Park/Coles carpark/in a cafe sir, I don't usually smoke drugs/narcotics/pot etc." <--- Dead end answer, they can't ask you about who the dealer was etc.
Cop: "You sure mate? You lying to me punkface? I oughta club you to death you junkie dope fiend...."

The third line is unlikely....but here is my point: you can still be nice, friendly, and co-operative, but RESIST any pressure that they put on you in an attempt to extract answers that will fuck you up. As long as you think, try to be calm, and give short direct answers to questions, they can cry all they want that they don't believe you, but just maintain that you are telling the truth.

But this is the issue - if you know your rights, and the search was conducted unlawfully, then the evidence uncovered in the above case would probably be inadmissible in court. In such a case, if you had big brass nuts (balls of steel as MaDMAn_Project says), you could refuse signing a cannabis caution, and take the matter to court on a summons, where you would be obliged to argue that the police prosecutor doesn't have a case because the evidence of 2g of pot should be rejected as per the Evidence Act (see previous post).

What a hassle huh? Fuck going through all that hassle man, WHO NEEDS CIVIL LIBERTIES ANYWAY! IT'S ONLY OUR FREEDOM TO LIVE HARASSMENT-FREE THAT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT HERE! We don't need a fair justice system! In fact, if we are going to put up with unlawful searches, why don't we change the NSW Police Force name to the NSW Gestapo! 8(

But I can relate: it is a massive hassle, you need time, and money (even if you win??), and brass nuts, and it's hard to plan out this grand idea of standing up to oppression with a 3m tall cop dipping his hands in your pockets..... Although you should always think of how you would feel sitting in a court room when the judge read out "All charges dismissed, the evidence is inadmissible".... You could then rise up, high five the judge, breakdance on the courtroom floor, throw the case documents at the police prosecutor, and bust out of court like a champion..... The fact of the matter is, many people don't want any hassle, usually because they don't even know a search was unlawful because they don't understand what authority police are and aren't given by the law, and so police will continue to infringe on everyone's rights in the hope of scoring a bag of weed or pills.

All in all, I can't tell you exactly what to do. That is your decision, and you should take all things into account when you make your choice - i.e. what the cop is like, how far you are willing to take things, whether or not the search was lawful, how important not getting a caution/charge is to you, how much you like your freedom, how strongly you believe in your right to partake in recreational enjoyment of chemicals etc. Here are some more sound tips to use as a general guideline so that you hopefully don't shit your pants next time you see that heart-wrenching police car pull up to you (it always makes me feel nervous and criminal, even if I have done absolutely nothing against the law).

-- You are not obliged to answer ANY police questions except to issue them with your true name and address (traffic stop rules differ). There are circumstances where you aren't even obliged to tell them that, research more if you want to know. Say something polite and firm, like "I don't think it is wise for me to answer any questions without someone who knows more law stuff around Sir, I won't say anything more after this. I would like to go if you do not need me any longer." or "If you have no reason to arrest me, I will immediately resume on my journey through life [you Dark Lord of hassling people for jack shit, leave me alone arsehole]"

-- You are not obliged to go anywhere with police unless you are placed under arrest. Police may not detain you against your will without placing you under arrest. They must have a real reason to arrest you, and must inform you of that reason, so always ask. Wrongful/unnecessary arrest is not smiled upon by police higher command or the courts (see Mr Ping court case below), remember this if you decide to call an officer's bluff of threatening to arrest you for not co-operating with demands that you feel are unreasonable (e.g. not submitting to an unlawful search).

-- This post is too mammoth, if you need more advice, contact your local Community Legal Centre for free and expert advice and legal aid. There are also some 24hour legal advice hotlines run by such institutions - you should call them for advice BEFORE talking to police if you get the chance. Be thankful that we live in a country with people who are kind enough to donate their time and effort to educate and help people, including those who society might view as 'scum' because they are poor/suffering from drug addiction or are victims of abuse etc, because all of us deserve to be fairly treated by the police and the legal system. Let the people giving out such advice on the phone and in legal aid centres know that you really appreciate their work.

-- Also, know that you may complain about unfair treatment at the hands of police. Direct your complaints to the Police Ombudsman in your State/Territory, or to the Civil Liberties Council in your State - Civil Liberties people are champions too, if you ever seek help from them, remember to be appreciative of and thankful for their social presence.

-- Use Google to search for legal aid, advice, Ombudsmen, Civil Liberties groups, and legislation pertaining to your state.

Links:

NSW Legal Aid Hotline for Under 18s
--- This is for Under 18s (different laws regarding police encounters) - there are other numbers available for adults in NSW, find those numbers if you are over 18 and need advice.

Legal Aid - Western Australia (Hotline Included)

Last edited: