Perfecting my (mostly) bodyweight full body workout routine.

bernax

Bluelighter
I'm looking for tips on what i can improve/change about my workout routine.

My gym workout is the following; 2 x8 chin-ups/ 2x8 chest dips/ 3x8 pistol squats/ 3x8 wide grip pushups/ 2x8 pike pushups/ 2x8 ab wheel from the knees slowly as possible/ 3x8 invert rows/ 3x8 romanian deadlift/ 3x8 hanging serratus crunch/ 3x10 rotator cuff pulley. Not done in this particular order.
I do this workout twice with 3 days rest in between and then 3days rest again and after that a 40 minute moderate to high intensity swimming session of 40 minutes with 2 days rest and it starts over again.

My goal is to build superior core strength/stability so that i can do things like the front lever and dragon flag.

I notice there's no overhead movements. Heavy overhead presses are very good for core stability.
And you seem to be trusting too much on just the ab wheel, crunch and the romanians for your core. There's stuff like plank variations and all kinds of leg raises.
If you want core stability look into overhead squats too. They're hellish and very effective.

BTW, I don't know who came up with the name "hanging serratus crunch" for a movement that doesn't involve any serratus muscle whatsoever. The serratus muscles pull the scapula forward or aid in deep respiration. When someone hangs from a bar and bends sideways his scapula doesn't move. How are the serratus involved? It would be like saying that arm curls work the calves. Overhead presses or incline flies work the serratus anterior muscle. Core movements don't work the serratus: it's not in the core.

Last edited:
I notice there's no overhead movements. Heavy overhead presses are very good for core stability.
And you seem to be trusting too much on just the ab wheel, crunch and the romanians for your core. There's stuff like plank variations and all kinds of leg raises.
If you want core stability look into overhead squats too. They're hellish and very effective.

BTW, I don't know who came up with the name "hanging serratus crunch" for a movement that doesn't involve any serratus muscle whatsoever. The serratus muscles pull the scapula forward or aid in deep respiration. When someone hangs from a bar and bends sideways his scapula doesn't move. How are the serratus involved? It would be like saying that arm curls work the calves. Overhead presses or incline flies work the serratus anterior muscle. Core movements don't work the serratus: it's not in the core.

I do the pike pushup for the overhead press and am building up to a handstand pushup, also i have no idea i saw a video and liked the movement so i incorporated it in my workout

I do the pike pushup for the overhead press and am building up to a handstand pushup, also i have no idea i saw a video and liked the movement so i incorporated it in my workout

I do pike's too, I rest my hands on two heavy dumbells on the ground. It gives it a little extra range at the bottom before your head hits the floor (making it extra hard, more deltoids involved).

Used to do deep front squats with 120Kg for reps at some 80Kg BW (not world record, but well...). And let me tell you, reverse lunges still trash my quads and hurt more than those front squats ever did.
Have you checked Neila Rey's website? Lots of cool BW exercises.