• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

People first, God second. Should people put themselves above God?

Forbidden by who? You can think whatever you want imo...

I put Jesus above everything.

If I don't work on myself I am not able to serve God, however when I'm sober it is only thanks to God, when I slack on praying and reading the Bible (also do AA) it opens me up to the enemy, Satan. He will deceive me and play tricks on my mind to get me to pick up drugs.

Without God nothing is possible for me, quite frankly if I was to wake up tomorrow and turn away from God I would quickly be dead and in hell.

That's not god, that's humans speaking on behalf of god.

No argument but that condition applies to everything we know of all the Gods, unless one has suffered an apotheosis.

So belief in God is just a belief in what people have said of the Gods. Right?

G_B, fundamental question: do you believe that a god (christian or not) exists as a seperate and external entity?

As a Gnostic Christian, I have to answer yes, but that God is not a supernatural entity. He or she would be a person who, as scriptures indicate for end times, will be elected.

If god is not real (and it isn't ;)), it doesn't matter at what point it is placed in the human hierarchy- it will make no difference no matter what.

If you are talking of a supernatural God, it would obviously make a difference.
Even if you are talking of a human God, it would also make a huge difference because any God that the world gets behind will change the paradigm of all.
And the non-existence of god will be a good thing, because it means that all the things we attribute to god- morality, justice, truth, compassion- are solely the creation of humans.

I agree while recognizing that our morality is rooted in our instincts for survival of the fittest.

It gives me hope. Given how hard god is to find in our world, I think we'll have more luck finding the answers ourselves. We've already found a lot. We really do not need god. If it were demonstrated that god existed, I still do not see why this entity should be worshipped, much less praised, even less being the subject of gratitude.

Worship, no. Respect yes, as that would likely bring world peace.

Its probably truer to say our thoughts and behaviours are products of the environment, and not vice versa.

Your first is true but not your last. The initial conditions produce our thoughts but our thoughts are then used to alter the conditions we do not like.

you control the environment, then you control the thoughts, no?

;)

No as some will like what they see while others will not.

People do put themselves above god all the time IMO. Mainly because it's likely they made up a god in their own ridiculous image. That's why "god" hates fags, and minorities, and condones all of our "just" and "holy" wars. I guess I could go on but maybe someone here can get the point I'm making.

No argument.

I like how this says it though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ1PDxeUynA

If we are bringing up the bible I hereby invoke Mark 3:35 as my response.

"For whosoever shall do the will of God, the same is my brother, and my sister, and mother."

How can one know the will of God when most religions say that God is unknowable, unfathomable and works in mysterious ways?

That of course is followed by all the lies they want you to believe about the God they just said they themselves could not know of fathom.

The funny thing is that the new international version removes the mother part, but King James version which is more legit retains mother. I guess they keep removing references in newer editions that we may in fact be equal to or even precedent to God, that people create God in their image instead of the other way around.
Interesting coincidence that you also quoted Mark. I would have used this verse for my response regardless.
I discovered the verse last year when there was an article going around about NASA witnessing a huge ejection of energy from a black hole that happened to be named MRK335. I looked up the verse and it humbled me.

I'm afraid to answer this question. So many forbiden thoughts...

How can a thought be forbidden without initiating thoughts of what is being forbidden?

Do not think of elephants.

See, I just forbade a thought and I know for a fact that you thought of an elephant if only briefly.

I put Jesus above everything.

If I don't work on myself I am not able to serve God, however when I'm sober it is only thanks to God, when I slack on praying and reading the Bible (also do AA) it opens me up to the enemy, Satan. He will deceive me and play tricks on my mind to get me to pick up drugs.

Without God nothing is possible for me, quite frankly if I was to wake up tomorrow and turn away from God I would quickly be dead and in hell.

Care to look at the morality of you believing in Jesus and his salvific dying for you?

As Ingersoll said; 'no man would be fit for heaven who would consent that an innocent person should suffer for his sin.'

Do you agree with Ingersoll?

Regards
DL