News People Are Dying of Overdoses in Mexico Because They Can’t Get Naloxone

thegreenhand

Administrator
Staff member

People Are Dying of Overdoses in Mexico Because They Can’t Get Naloxone​

Luis Chaparro
Vice
4 Mar 2022

CIUDAD JUÁREZ, México — People in northern Mexico are dying from drug overdoses in record numbers because the Mexican government won't give them naloxone, which is readily available across the border for cheap.

The lifesaving drug naloxone, used to reverse opioid overdoses, is highly controlled in Mexico because it’s considered a psychoactive substance.

That makes it expensive and hard to find, even for emergency services and hospitals. Naloxone costs around 500 Mexican pesos ($25) a dose and requires a doctor’s prescription, while the same medicine is available just across the border for as low as $2 a dose and is readily found in paramedic kits. (It’s best known in the U.S. under the brand name Narcan.)

Read the full article here.

In the name of Junkie Jesus - naloxone - considered a psychoactive substance??!!! And consequently restricted? That’s fucking madness.

What do they think they’re saving Mexico from an imminent naloxone addiction crisis…

Huh? I thought all drugs were decriminalized in Mexico? Why is naloxone controlled and considered psychoactive?

This might be the first example of drugs available for cheap on the OTHER side of the border. Weird.

Even when I was a kid we used to drive down to Mexico just to get acne medication and random stuff like that.

Huh? I thought all drugs were decriminalized in Mexico? Why is naloxone controlled and considered psychoactive?
that’s a good question.

my initial guess would be that the drug laws in mexico have a “personal use” stipulation. and since one can’t exactly give it to themselves while overdosing, that could be considered distribution.

that’s just a wild guess though, i really have no idea. my google searches were not fruitful

Insulin syringes can be legally sold OTC in Mexico, but viciosos & tecatos are so despised by society that it's almost impossible for them to buy one. Most pharmacies won't even allow obvious addicts inside, let alone sell them paraphernalia, only a few charging a huge premium.

That's a major reason why shooting galleries that rent a common syringe (in exchange for units from the shot) are so popular in the border cities. And that, of course, is an obvious reason for the rate of HIV among Mexican drug injectors, one which is shockingly high.

The situation for addicts in Tijuana was so bad that most of their syringes were originally given out by the San Diego needle exchange and then "smuggled" over the border from the US. (IIRC, some kind of NGO-sponsored NEP has recently been opened in TJ, though.)