• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Peeks testing

Purposefull

Bluelighter
Sorry, my old brain doesn't remember the correct terminology, but years ago when I was in treatment they would occasionally perform a peeks test to determine how the body is processing the particular drug being administered. I suppose this was to determine if user(s) needed increase or decrease in dosage, but I just can't remember the correct test and terminology. Can anyone help me with this?
My father, now 90 years old uses fentynol patches and it's unclear if his tolerance level is too high or low.
He typically changes patches every 72 hours,but lately he's become very grouchy and lousy feeling around the 2nd day so I want to see if his doc can do the right tests to determine if he needs an increase or decrease.
Anyone know the correct test or terminology I'm looking for? My memory seems to recall a peeks and throughs test, but it's been about 20 years since the last time I was in treatment so I'm probably not remembering it right.

Thanks

Yep its a peak and trough test. That was utilized at my methadone clinic. Could determine if you're a rapid metabolizer and if dose need adjustment.

Thanks..I guess I still have a few brain cells functioning better than I thought..
We really need to figure out what is going on with pop.. Part of the problem with him is he's not very reliable with reporting his actual issues to his doctor. If he senses even the slightest bit of incompetance from a doc or even suspects the doc may not be "manly" enough he'll immediately think the doc is worthless.. It's grumpy old man syndrome mixed with an unhealthy dose of dementia..Always fun taking him to the doc..

Lol, yeah you do have a better memory than you credit yourself for. If his self-reporting isn't reliable, this seems like a good way to find out. I've never heard of the test being used outside the clinic, but that doesn't mean it isn't. Good thinking on your part to try it. And good luck with him, i know that trying to care for someone with dementia is stressful.