View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

☮ Social ☮ PD Social Thread: Engage the digital super banana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to the coffeeshop down the street from my hostel. Twice. It's basically just a take-out counter, but they have a variety of strains, types of hash, etc., and better prices than the one in downtown/canal district/whatever that part of Amsterdam is called. Got 5g of some lovely Snow White (or rather, Sneeuwwitje) for 32EUR. Not bad at all. Also picked up 3 pre-rolled spliffs, can't remember the strain... Smoked two of 'em, broke the last one in my pocket so I'll have to reroll it. Also smoked 3 of the 4-pack of WW joints. And lost my last half g or so of the Haze I picked up when I first got into town, lulz. So it goes.

Got dinner at a FEBO, a popular Amsterdam fast food chain with both counter service and an 'automat' - basically they put various fried foods in little shelves and on the front side it works like a vending machine. All the drunk/stoned munchies of a fast food joint with none of that pesky human interaction. The fries were great and came with both ketchup and mayo, because Belgium. Tomorrow, mission numero uno is to find a headshop that sells glass so I don't have to roll joints every time I want to smoke. Joints are nice and all, convenient for walking around the city, but I generally prefer smoking good weed out of glass. Missions two and three, in no particular order, are to try some non-fast food (maybe a local shawarma place or a place that does traditional Belgian style fries), and to sample some A'dam hash. Only tried bud today. And maybe I'll shroom tomorrow, so I have enough downtime to potentially shroom again near the end of my trip if it turns out philosopher's stones work well for me. We'll see.

I also met a very interesting, very drunk French Marxist outside my hostel who's been living in A'dam for 15 years. We spent a couple hours talking culture, philosophy, current events, politics, life in Europe vs. the US, and all sorts of other random shit, alternating between the bar and smoke breaks outside. So, you know, the usual ;)

Finally got my computer setup after moving back in with my folks. Just stopin by to say hello to everyone here in PD social.

Do any of y'all play Magic the Gathering? I have a couple decks now and I've been getting more and more into it. I couldn't help but drop 25 bucks on card sleeves and booster packs today hahah. It seems so cheap at first... then you keep on collecting, the need for more decks is never satisfied! Ahhhh!

^ Definitely. The only times I've gotten in a car were a couple Italian cabs when I was traveling with my family. Since I've been on my own, I've taken trains/buses/metros or walked everywhere, and I've gone from Rome to Amsterdam. Unless you wanna take a Greyhound bus (protip: you don't. you really don't.), the only way to get between most major US cities is to rent a car. It's expensive, wasteful, unpleasant... European trains are nice, fast, cheap, and efficient - you know, the kind of thing a rational developed country uses to solve basic infrastructure needs like moving people between cities. And hostels aren't really much of a thing in the US, so if you don't know someone to stay with it can be rather expensive to visit any of the US cities worth flying around the world for. No way I could find a place in any part of NYC or LA I'd feel comfortable staying for ~60/night, but that's about what it's costing me to stay in one of the best hostels in A'dam (the most expensive city I've been to by far), and about what I paid to have a private room in a nice apartment in Paris via airbnb. Not that I'd mind you coming to the States - if you come to Chicago we should hang out! - but the only reason I would ever travel domestically over coming back to Europe is that getting there would be substantially quicker and cheaper. A quick Google search tells me Sydney airport is pretty much equidistant from Amsterdam and NYC - if I were in your shoes, that would be a pretty easy call ;)

Woke up and got dressed just in time to hit up the free breakfast at the hostel. Not bad, better than a typical American motel "continental breakfast." Various types of fresh bread, some really good jam, cereal, fresh fruits and veggies, cold cuts, cheese, OJ/apple juice, fancy coffee machines that make a decent cappuccino... I think there may have been other things there earlier but I got there at the very end of breakfast service so it was a bit picked over. Still t'was tasty. Now, to figure out what to do today... Maybe I'll check out the other coffeeshop that I passed on the way here, then hop on a bus or tram into the city center. Actually, first things first: I desperately need to do laundry, only brought a few changes of clothes and haven't washed em since I got to Europe. I want to reek of weed, not sweat and BO. Gonna go put a load in and maybe roll up some of this Snow White for later while I wait.

Only restricting factor in the decision is finances unfortunately. Also to some extent when we can make the trip. I'm somewhat more for Europe myself (though would definitely still be hiring a car for Nurburgring :D), however being more expensive it's a bit harder for the girlfriend :( buuuuuuut now I've got a few of you folk to pay a visit if we wind up in USA :) yes, I realise some of you are in EU :p

Just got 21mg of 3-MeO-PCP. Pretty excited to try it, 5-6mg for first trial I think. Should I wait for weekend with this substance or should I be sober by the morning if I dose around 7pm?

Do any of y'all play Magic the Gathering? I have a couple decks now and I've been getting more and more into it. I couldn't help but drop 25 bucks on card sleeves and booster packs today hahah. It seems so cheap at first... then you keep on collecting, the need for more decks is never satisfied! Ahhhh!

I played religiously when I was younger... now I still have my decks and collection but I rarely play. Still, I think it's one of the greatest games ever invented. I have a really valuable collection and some really awesome decks I spent years putting together and refining. I started right before 4th edition came out so a lot of my cards are really old. I used to have about 30 revised edition dual lands, an unlimited time vault, and even an unlimited Ancestral Recall, but I sold a bunch of those when I was having money troubles. :( I made a lot of money though, I sold the (not too great condition) ancestral recall for $800, and the dual lands for 4100-$150 each. I still have a few dual lands and a bunch of other good cards but I pretty much sold my most valuable ones.

^Damn dude, collectibles can really get up there, I envy my friends who have collected since childhood. I'm majorly behind, I had an 8th edition core series deck from when I was younger, but most of my decks now are modern, most being from Dragons of Tarkir. It's a good set though. I love that feeling of peeling open a booster pack and flipping to the back to find a mythic rare card that's worth all the packs you just bought combined and then some, it's like being a kid at Christmas hahah. I love how whenever I go to the local card shop, half the people playing there are younger than me, and the other half are twice my age. Such a timeless game. That, and the owner's daughter works there and she's fine as fuck. It blows my mind how many good looking women get into Magic, it crosses so many boundaries.

They've got me hooked! I'm tempted to head to E-bay and pick up a few cards for my favorite deck today. It's that or a new hide for my ball python; she won't use her cold hide any more because she has imprinted on this rock hide I put on the hot side... They're such stupid creatures that they'll sacrifice proper temperature regulation for a feeling of safety. Odd critters those ball pythons.

I played religiously when I was younger... now I still have my decks and collection but I rarely play. Still, I think it's one of the greatest games ever invented. I have a really valuable collection and some really awesome decks I spent years putting together and refining. I started right before 4th edition came out so a lot of my cards are really old. I used to have about 30 revised edition dual lands, an unlimited time vault, and even an unlimited Ancestral Recall, but I sold a bunch of those when I was having money troubles. :( I made a lot of money though, I sold the (not too great condition) ancestral recall for $800, and the dual lands for 4100-$150 each. I still have a few dual lands and a bunch of other good cards but I pretty much sold my most valuable ones.

Hah, ditto. I started playing as a young'un a little before 4th as well and kept playing through Mirrodin block. In high school I used to go to Friday Night Magic booster drafts and do pretty well. I would also enter and win in cheap promo events for new CCGs that launched. I won some golden pokemon doodad when the pokemon CCG first came out and sold it to one of the other tourney players for $150. Also sold all my old cards during undergrad after I stopped playing actively, didn't have anything really valuable from the early sets though, just a fair number of good rares at the time in Standard/T2. Nowadays I scratch that occasional CCG itch with Hearthstone, which is a much simpler game but still quite fun. Well suited to mobile devices.

Just got back in from the city. Visited some moar coffeeshops for some Amnesia Haze and Lemon Haze, both quite tasty, as well as a chillum and a glass spoon so I can stop rolling joints all the time. Then I visited a smart shop to pick up some truffles and see what else is still legal in A'dam. I'm totally jealous of the locals - they sell peyote here! Everything from very young to pretty much mature buttons at various prices. Never seen a flowering peyote bud in person before, that was pretty cool. Other than that they sell a lot of the same stuff American headshops do or did until recently - various "legal XTC" mystery mixes, nitrous, various popular legal ethnobotanicals. They can't sell shrooms anymore (although they can still sell truffles, lolwut idunno), but they can sell spore kits. More fun with arbitrary drug laws :)

Picked up 15g of P. Hollandia truffles. Probably gonna take some tomorrow. Thought about taking 'em tonight but I ate a big plate of falafel and fries at like 8 and I don't think it would taste nearly as good on the way up.

Last edited:
^Damn dude, collectibles can really get up there, I envy my friends who have collected since childhood. I'm majorly behind, I had an 8th edition core series deck from when I was younger, but most of my decks now are modern, most being from Dragons of Tarkir. It's a good set though. I love that feeling of peeling open a booster pack and flipping to the back to find a mythic rare card that's worth all the packs you just bought combined and then some, it's like being a kid at Christmas hahah. I love how whenever I go to the local card shop, half the people playing there are younger than me, and the other half are twice my age. Such a timeless game. That, and the owner's daughter works there and she's fine as fuck. It blows my mind how many good looking women get into Magic, it crosses so many boundaries.

They've got me hooked! I'm tempted to head to E-bay and pick up a few cards for my favorite deck today. It's that or a new hide for my ball python; she won't use her cold hide any more because she has imprinted on this rock hide I put on the hot side... They're such stupid creatures that they'll sacrifice proper temperature regulation for a feeling of safety. Odd critters those ball pythons.

I don't know much about any sets after Mercadian Masks (however you spell that)... which was really quite some time ago. The last I was REALLY into it was for the 3 Urza's sets, which were really great and exciting ones and there are some really valuable cards from them. The game is a lot different now, there are a lot more focused, powerful cards, things like Planeswalkers, etc. I only really know old-school Magic I guess, I mean my little brother still plays a lot, it's his hobby and he's amazing at it, and he keeps up with it, even though we both learned at the same time. He beats me pretty much every single time even when I use his decks just because I don't know what they all are, I have to read all the cards that come into play pretty much. =D

My best deck is my millstone (well grindstone actually) deck, a blue and white creatureless control deck that runs you out of a library to win. I also have a deck I designed that is a reanimation deck with Hell's Caretaker... though my brother convinced me to go with Recurring Nightmare instead and it's better. Really fun to play that deck.

Haha, I remember one time towards the end of my involvement with the game, when Mercadian Masks had just come out, I was at a tournament, and I ran into this asshole kid I went on a Europe trip with in previous years. I had gotten a foil Cho Manno: Revolutionary card in a booster pack... it was pretty much the hottest card in the game at the time. This kid, while obviously believing he was ripping me off, traded me an unlimited Time Vault and 8 dual lands for it. He walked away snickering but I sold those cards recently for a total of $1200. =D Dual lands will just keep raising in value because apparently they said they'd never make them again no matter what. Even the revised edition ones are worth so much now, up to $150 each. I wish I hadn't had to sell any of my cards because all of the ones I sold were really old classics and they just keep raising in value.

I was into Magic (and AD&D2nd Ed.) in the late 90s. Sold my Black Lotus, etc. to buy drugs lol. Haven't kept up with either since.

Some magic nerds up in here. lol.

The only kids I knew that played it were trench coat mafia/goth types. You guys make me feel like I was missin out. I played POG for a while. Any POG champions around?

lol I played RPGs (AD&D, Shadowrun, GURPS, etc) back in the late 80s, early 90s... loved them, but haven't played since. Good times.

The Pittsburgh steelers are a football team.

I've been on a cross country road trip for the past 5 or so days. We're in Colorado now. I've been smoking copious amounts of marijuana as per usual lol. I love this place. I hiked up the Rocky Mountains yesterday. Our eventual destination is a weed farm my roommate and pretty much best friend just started. Life is good fellas.

We were gifted .38 grams of mdma from Europe right before we left and we're gonna all take it soon for my roommates birthday. It looks very pure I'm quite excited.

Everyone who comes to Colorado and smokes is like wow why isn't it like this everywhere??

Love pen and paper RPGs too! My parents taught me AD&D when I was like 10, lol. They also used to play Magic, although not as enthusiastically as I did.

There was this one kid in my high school who had some absurdly high allowance and absolutely no sense. I sold him random commons/uncommons from Revised and 4th edition, before they started labelling rarities, for a few bucks a pop... Good times.

The Spanish and Mexican guys who were in my room checked out of the hostel today, to be replaced by a German and a Canadian. Aside from local Amsterdammers (Amsterdamians? Amsterdamsels? I dunno), I don't think I've met two people from the same country since I've been here. Pretty awesome.

I think I'm gonna trip today. Gotta decide how late in the day to dose, though. I ate breakfast around 10, so I should probably either dose soon-ish, or eat lunch soon and plan to dose in the late afternoon. I'm leaning toward dosing soon, so I'll have plenty of time to come down without being up all night with the tryptamine giggles while my roommates are trying to sleep :p Plus, that way maybe I'll be down enough to eat something heavy again before all the amazing Belgian fry places close.

Also, I really need to stop buying weed every time I leave the hostel, lol. I have like a quarter at this point, plus 2g of hash minus whatever I packed last night. I leave town on Monday, lulz. Oh well, I'm sure any leftovers will find a good home... I might just bring everything with me to whatever train station I take to the airport, look for some random hippies arriving in town, and give them a proper welcome to A'dam to save them a trip to one of the overpriced tourist trap coffeeshops near Centraal, heh. Also, I wish I knew how to roll a proper hash joint. I guess I'll settle for a regular joint with little flecks of hash in it, and bowls of hash or weed topped with hash. Pure hash bowls are pretty fuckin' wasteful, and the American stoner in me cringes as I watch that wisp of smoke coming off the cherried hash, but hash is actually cheaper than bud here so I guess it's not that big a deal. I got the highest end hash the closest coffeeshop sells - Nepalese Temple Ball - and it was only a couple Euros more than 2g of good bud would have been. Probably the best hash I've ever smoked. Looks like a tootsie roll, cherries nicely, tastes nice and smooth with a touch of that spicy dark hash flavor, leaves nothing but white ash behind. Also had a space cake last night, not sure how strong it was since I was so many bowls deep at that point and smoked a ton of hash right after eating it, but I was feeling pretty good for the rest of the night :D

European soda is so much better than American soda. Which is weird, because Europeans drink a lot less of it than we do (or at least, than I do). Even Coke and Sprite taste better thanks to using actual sugar, but the real winner is Fanta. Fanta Grape is FUCKING DELICIOUS here! It's not the same bullshit artificial grape flavoring, it's got actual grape juice in it and a much more complex flavor profile of sweet and sour notes. I sound like a wine snob describing my precious sparkling sugar water, I know, but it really is like night and day compared to American Fanta. Fanta Orange tastes better too, although IMHO the difference is less dramatic than with Grape. Soda's even more overpriced here, though. Most places just have bottles, not soda fountains, and they're usually 2-2.50EUR for a 500mL bottle.

I smoked another prerolled hash spliff after breakfast, but I haven't busted out the Temple Ball or my growing collection of buds and bowls yet today. Time to go for a walk around the block, 'cuz it's bowl o'clock.

Edit: Oh, and Millstone decks were the shit. Especially before WotC figured out how to appropriately cost card advantage and control spells... There's a reason almost all the really valuable early cards are spells and not creatures, heh. Early Magic creatures were mostly garbage. But then we had shit like Time Walk. How much should an ENTIRE EXTRA TURN cost? Eh, 2 mana feels fair ;)

lol @ Fanta. When I lived in Thailand I couldn't get enough of the Nehi Grape. Nehi is where it's at!

While cleaning out an apartment for a side job, I found a binder with a boatload of Magic cards in it. I'm going to give it to my daughter and see if she wants to learn the game.

The Lebanese shawarma place I ate at a couple times in Paris also had these amazing Lebanese sodas - apple, watermelon, and pomegranate, all consisting mostly of actual fruit juice and sparkling water. I don't know why apple soda isn't a thing in the US (aside from Mexican grocery stores that carry Manzanita Sol, which is good but still mostly artificial flavorings). Mmmm. I really wish the hostel vending machine had Fanta Grape, but they only have Orange :(

Still haven't gone out for my smoke sesh, got distracted by BL. It's been known to happen. Well, not really... Most of the time I would do my smoking and web browsing at the same place anyway ;)

My stomach is a little complainy this afternoon. Prolly gonna hold off on shrooming for at least a couple hours to make sure I'm not getting sick or anything. Actually, come to think of it, I probably don't have time to space out two proper trips before I leave anyway. Maybe I'll just wait till tomorrow or Saturday, when I'll have a studio to myself. Ideally I want to spend my trip on the streets, in coffeeshops, maybe in a museum, but it would be nice to have a private space to return to if things get a little too intense/stimulating and I need to chill out, and an indoor place where I can smoke so I don't have to venture into public for a bowl or a cig if I don't want to. Or maybe I'll just nibble on a gram or two tonight for some light tryptamine giggles and save the rest for a big dose over the weekend. Decisions, decisions...

Status
Not open for further replies.