• Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

PC gaming vs Console gaming

which do you prefer?

• pc gaming

Votes: 42 66.7%
  • console gaming

Votes: 21 33.3%

• Total voters
I dont like handheld consoles cause my psp screen cracked and now it sucks playing it... :(

I like to stick with console games because PC games can be waaaaaaaaaaay to addictive.
The most engrossing console game, I might play a marathon session of 5-6 hours. But that's a with super-kickass game. Normally, it's just an hour here and there.
But give me a good PC game, shit... I could play Civilization for 12 hours straight every day for a month. If I started PC gaming, my life would fall apart. Literally.

So I vote console. Not because PC games are bad. But because they are too good.

alasdairm said:
a console is just a pc in a different box.

alasdair
Absolutely not :)

By this logic, a DVD player is also a PC in a different box.

Consoles are, like most electronic devices, limited (by default) in their scope of manipulability by the consumer. While I don't deny that many of the components that make a console are essentially PC components, their functionality w.r.t. the consumer is very different.

---

Btw, another plus for console gaming is that if you're into Japanese games, then a PC is essentially useless. PCs cater to American games mostly.

Jamshyd said:
Absolutely not :)

By this logic, a DVD player is also a PC in a different box.

Consoles are, like most electronic devices, limited (by default) in their scope of manipulability by the consumer. While I don't deny that many of the components that make a console are essentially PC components, their functionality w.r.t. the consumer is very different.

---

Btw, another plus for console gaming is that if you're into Japanese games, then a PC is essentially useless. PCs cater to American games mostly.
The Nintendo Wii, Xbox, and Playstation 3 can all have other operating systems used for PCs installed on them. They have a hard-drive, ram, rom drives, a motherboard, etc. by all accounts they are a PC. The Wii's web-browser is Opera for crying out loud.

The only that that really seperates them from a computer like the one i'm typing on right now, is their limited (crippled) software that's meant to perform a very limited amount of functions.

If we were talking consoles that were Nintendo 64 and below, I'd agree, it would mainly be an electronic appliance/device, but they've grown from that into full blown computers.

I guess I'm just a bit backwards then ;)

I generally think of the Playstation as the quintessential console, but I guess we can go up to PS2. Yes, you could install somekind of linux on it that costs a cow's weight in gold, but as far as I know, this never really went anywhere.

I do agree with you though, that new consoles are essentially computers with very limited functionality. Can we also say that their functionality is very specifically optimized, as well?

Jamshyd said:
I guess I'm just a bit backwards then ;)

I generally think of the Playstation as the quintessential console

You're right, you are backwards.

N64 owns PS1.

Used to be PC gaming until next gen consoles came out and blew my computer out of the water

but the latest PC games on a high end PC are now better in every way than console games.

this trend will only grow for the next few years, until the next lot of consoles come out.

PCs are better because they are constantly updated and improved,
they are completely flexible and may instantly adapt to any demands,
through hardware or software update/add-ons.

Oh I'm sure I'd choose PC gaming if I could afford to have the best stuff.

But they're just not as fun for 2-4 player games with your mates round your house

Was a PC game man back in the day, but then it got to the stage where instead of just buying new games, you'd have to buy a new graphics card, then a new processor, and it just went on and on. So for me now it's the consoles.

Digital Duality said:
The only that that really seperates them from a computer like the one i'm typing on right now, is their limited (crippled) software that's meant to perform a very limited amount of functions.

Oh, so they're like Macs then? ;)

PC for me, for all the previously given reasons. I gotta admit though, the Wii is something else again. Gaming without sitting on your arse, pure magic!

The_Idler said:
but the latest PC games on a high end PC are now better in every way than console games.

this trend will only grow for the next few years, until the next lot of consoles come out.

PCs are better because they are constantly updated and improved,
they are completely flexible and may instantly adapt to any demands,
through hardware or software update/add-ons.

Yeah, if you want to fork out a thousand bucks every year for a new compatiable GFX card

PC´s are good though because games tend to be free

If you have the money to keep PCs upgraded to run the latest games>Consoles

If you like having the ability to modify games to your liking, and enjoy an almost constant inflow of user-created content>Consoles

If you get off on the fact that you're using a mouse and keyboard>Consoles

I used to love playing on PC. I still might if I had a gaming rig... and a nice computer desk and chair.. but I don't. I bought a 360 last year, and I'll still be able to play games on it years from now. I can also download movies if I want, and in HD, and play them from the console... Then again, I could just keep having my ip switched to use rapidshare for free.. and watch them on my HD set via a VGA cable (I do this, too).

I think it's a stupid argument, honestly.

Consoles are a one-time investment, usually, hardware-wise. While the tech will lag behind the PC, games will still be developed to take advantage of that older (but still quite functional, and good) technology. PC, you'll be lucky to play the latest games in a couple-few years. You'll have to add more ram, buy a new graphics card, maybe add more GBs to make room.. maybe buy a whole new CPU. Maybe buy two more moniters so you can do the whole triple-head thing

If I had the money, I'm sure I'd be back on PC.

But I just really can't compare it.

Also, to whoever said it's basically wrong that FPS are on consoles.. you're whack. They're all I play. I've played them on PC and console, and quite frankly, they're both fun.

Last edited:
with regard to FPSs, wii>pc>other consoles.

if only they'd make more good ones for wii

but despite this statement, i still enjoy FPS games on the 360, and i aint the biggest FPS fan.

Ok, I used to be a PS2 fanboy dumbass and then I grew up, built a pc, and it rules.

I have to say the PC platform is BY FAR the best way to go. Forget all the other cool features, if you just look at gaming even, its better by far.

The graphics rule, and its not THAT hard to build a decent setup. I can max games out without dropping a grand.

Control is spot on with a mouse. Better than a damn joystick. I have no idea how people play halo.

Resolutions are the best, although now with HD gaming they are catching up.

Games are more easily designed for PC, and much more easily modded by a user. Good luck editing your default values in Fallout 3 on 360.

I would say the ONLY downside is the lack of multiplayer locally. Its much harder to play multi on a PC. Although in my house I got my PC hooked to a 32" HD flatscreen so basically its not an issue.