(engineer attention) password not obscured on login

L2R

Bluelight Crew
when running from slower networks as the front page (or any other) loads, if you type in your password quickly, it is not hidden. the programming which hides the keystrokes kicks in a bit late.

Those of you who have/are experiencing this, can you describe:

• Browser/OS/device/network information
  • How long this has been going on?
  • Does it happen all the time?
  • Are you entering your login details before the page has loaded?
A little Googling suggests that this is fairly rare and probably isn't browser-specific.

it's happened to me on OSX 10.6 and safari.

Windows 7 and firefox.

it's been a week maybe more?

I think it is a case of entering before the page is fully loaded. However this has NEVER occured to me before.

i've only been back to work for two whole weeks, so that's as far as i have noticed it.

this p.o.s. is using windows server 2003 and ie8. yes this only happens when inputing login prior to page fully loading. hence the hidden letters script (or whatever its called) kicking in late in the process.

It happens to me when I use internet explorer but not google chrome. My IE has one of those stupid bar things with a load of shite on it so its probably not a browser based problem, just the connection.

I've noticed this when logging on in firefox from my notebook. Pretty disconcerting...

Okay, had a think about this and tracked down a couple of dates for you to chew on.

Recently, there have been two major changes to the live site - both of which rely on javascript. The most recent was added on the 23rd of February (1 day before this thread was made). However, it's not currently applicable to anyone outside the senior staff and, based on what I'm hearing, this has been going on for at least 1-2 weeks prior to this date, possibly longer.

As such, I'm willing to discount that cause for the time being.

The second addition is the Google CSE (Custom Search Engine), which sits in a global notice header at the top of the forum. This was added on the 17th January with minor (and inconsequential) style tweaks on the 8th February. You'll notice that when the page loads, the rendering of the site is held up/delayed as the API runs (I'm on a very fast home connection and I can see the delay). This has been an aesthetic irritant for me, but given that the delay is visible on a quick network, I'm wondering if that delay is worsened on a slower network?

Can any of you replicate this password bug on demand? In other words, if we were to disable the Google CSE, would you be able to tell me if it has any effect?

Last edited:
i just tried to log off and back on, but since the page was cached, it didn't happen. maybe first thing each morning i can test it.

what the hell is that, are you cracking onto me?

ok, i just did it three times in a row, each time the letters showed. so... it's on demand.

Ctrl F5 refreshes the page ;).

Much like Cmmd + R on a mac.

CTRL + F5 forces a cache refresh. Who knows what it does on a Mac. Probably summons the ghost of Steve Jobs.

OK, I've disabled the Google Search JS. Let's test this theory.

Can you still see your passwords?

Fixed!

The site is loading a LOT faster on my network now too. That Google CSE was very taxing. One of my other favourtie (vBulletin) message boards just added this same thing and it also now has this same delay. It's set up so that it's username/pwd textboxes don't load until the add-on does, though. Might be intentional, might be coincidence.

Guys, thanks for your willingness to participate in this little test.

Really, really appreciate it.

If any previous respondents to this thread can also confirm this, that'd be also useful.

I'm going to leave the Google CSE JS file out of service for the time being as, although the risk posed to end-users is small, it's still an unnecessary risk.

Fortunately, I've recoded the Google API without JS on our test mirror, along with other small tweaks to the skin.

We hope to roll that out in the next two weeks, possibly sooner.

Cheers,
TM

Anytime Tambo, i'm always here to help.

Also I have tested it on OSX snow leopard on a macbook pro with Safari, firefox and chrome. Windows 7 on a recent toshiba laptop with IE8, Firefox and chrome. Windows XP pro on my partitioned drive on my macbook pro with IE8, Firefox and chrome and also on an oldschool HP with firefox and IE8 and it worked fine on all of the above.

it's still the same here. note, this only happens at work, which as a poor union runs on really slow machines/network.

i noticed three more things:
-if you add letters during the load onto password, the word "password" is not replaced but added to (with all letters grey), the same with username;
-the letters (including what's left of "password") do not go away after loading; and
-if you clear it and add the proper login at this stage, the log in doesn't actually work.