Participant Information - PLEASE READ

NewDrugsResearch

Bluelighter
Hi,

Thanks for your interest in participating in these focus groups. Before you start can you take some time to read the information below. It explains a bit more about the study, what it requires from you as a participant, and what will happen with the information that you give. You don't need to post anything in reply to this message. If you are still happy to participate please go ahead and join the main discussion. If you no longer want to take part please contact me directly by either email or PM.

Thanks again

Zoe

PARTICIPANT INFORMATION SHEET - ONLINE FOCUS GROUPS

We would like to invite you to participate in this postgraduate research project. You should only participate if you want to; choosing not to take part will not disadvantage you in any way. Before you decide whether you want to take part, it is important for you to understand why the research is being done and what your participation will involve. Please take 24 hours to read the following information carefully and discuss it with others if you wish. Ask us if there is anything that is not clear or if you would like more information.

Over the past five years, new drugs, commonly known as research chemicals and 'legal highs' have increased in popularity. During this time, the drug mephedrone (4-methylmethcathinone), has become an established 'club drug' in the UK. However, there is still limited evidence available on the factors associated with and outcomes of use. The aim of this research is to examine the reasons why people decide to use mephedrone, how people use mephedrone, their positive and negative experiences of mephedrone use, and how this changes over time. This will help to increase this evidence base, which will be of potential benefit to people who decide to use mephedrone and public health services.

We are asking current and former mephedrone users to take part in one-off online discussion looking at the positive and negative effects of mephedrone, and the reasons why people decide/have decided to use (or not) to use mephedrone. During the discussion you will be asked about your opinion on these topics. The discussion thread will be kept open for about a week and you will be able to contribute to the discussion at any time over this period. But we do ask, that you check back regularly to keep the discussion going.

All of the information you give us will be stored in accordance with the UK Data Protection Act. However, you can choose not to answer a question if you would prefer not to.

The results of this study will be used to develop a survey that will examine these issues further. The results of this study will also form part of a PhD thesis. This means that while your contributions will be kept anonymous (i.e., we will not include your username, avatar, or signatures), extracts might be used as quotes when the results are published.

It is up to you to decide whether to take part or not. If you decide to take part you are still free to withdraw from the discussion at any time and without giving a reason whilst the discussion is active. Once the discussion is closed you may also withdraw any data you have already provided until 9 January 2014. Because of the interactive nature of focus group discussions it may not be possible to withdraw all of your data but any contributions made that cannot be withdrawn will be kept anonymous.

So that we know that you have read and understood this you will be asked to write "I agree to take part in this study" in your first post to this discussion thread. This will be taken as consent to participate.

If you have any questions or require more information about this study, please contact the researcher using the following contact details: Zoe Davey ([email protected]). Or PM NewDrugsResearch.

If this study has harmed you in any way, you can contact King's College London using the details below for further advice and information:
Professor Colin Drummond
Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience Box PO48, 4 Windsor Walk London SE5 8BB

This study has been approved by the KCL Psychiatry, Nursing, and Midwifery Research Ethics Subcommittee (REC Reference Number: PNM/13/14-27)

Though I didn't take the recommended twenty-four hours, "I agree to take part in this study"

:)

P.S. Feel free to use Bob Loblaw whenever possible/necessary; I'm trying to build a brand here, OKAY? =D

So you are aiming for Bob Loblaw to be the drug equivalent of Oxo? ;)

Will we be able to see the results of the study / the PHD thesis. I'd be very interested in seeing whatever conclusions or remarks are made out of our participation.

Ok! Will keep that in mind!!

Yes, aside from being in my thesis, I'm hoping to be able to share the results of the study with the forum - probably not until the follow on studies have been completed though.