Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Television Parks and Recreation

Never got into this show like I did with The Office, just isn't as funny I guess. :\

As in, "you just didn't like it as much, you guess". :\

There are definitely moments in P&R that surpass The Office, it's a different kind of humor.

Swanson > All

Edit: SnakeJuice > Swanson

snakejuice-ad.jpg

Last edited:
“I've already whittled his casket from a tree that grew outside his childhood home.”

Ron Swanson <3

Did anyone else like Bobby Newport as much as I did?

I never thought anything could touch Arrested Development..... until Parks and Recreation.

Gotta love Rob Lowe: "My body is a microchip"....."The microchip is compromised".
My big brother is into his jogging and so Rob Lowe's character is just that little bit extra special as far as I'm concerned...

Anyone else recognise a loved one who's heavily into personal fitness in that character?

^ Haha. No.

P&R is really good for a network comedy, but AD still holds the throne.

/opinions

Parks and Rec is consistently funny (first season aside), I find that Arrested Development is more subtle with their jokes. Still funny but not as funny.

To each their own.

See, I find the opposite to be true. Parks and Rec tends to be hit-or-miss with some of their episodes. Plus, I don't find the characters as appealing as AD. Parks and Rec has characters like Ann and Ben who play it straight and tend to bring down the mood of most of their scenes, as well as characters who just seem 2-dimensional (Ron, Jerry, Mark from the first season, Aziz's character whose name I forget, etc)...however, I think Leslie Knope is a great character. The characters from AD (with the exception a few) are dynamic, and you learn a lot about them as they grow and develop as people as the series progresses, whereas it seems Parks and Rec establishes characters the moment they're introduced and then just puts them in various comedic situations.

You say that AD's humor is subtle, and I half agree. I think a better term would be "layered". Almost every joke in Arrested Development builds upon the one that came before it, which leads to a lot of meta joke-within-a-joke moments and callbacks to previous episodes (sometimes even previous seasons). On one hand I can see why this approach would alienate some people, but the upside is that you can watch an episode a dozen times and still find jokes and references that you missed in a previous viewing, which is a sign of really great writing. Parks and Rec doesn't have that - while I can re-watch P&R episodes and still be entertained by them, I don't get that sense of "Oh! I totally missed that before!" as much with P&R as I do with AD, which happens almost every time I re-watch an episode.

That being said, P&R is probably the best network comedy around right now even if it is (imo) on the downswing from a few years ago.

I actually agree quite a bit with both your points, the two-dimensionalism of the characters and the layered aspect of the humor. I'll admit that Parks and Rec does rely more on ridiculous and unrealistic situations to get laughs than Arrested Development as seen with the recent introduction of Jean Ralphio's sister and her "I'll start a fire in the bathroom" attitude. Arrested Development doesn't pander like that and I like that, it definitely has a more intelligent feel to it.

To be honest I'm not sure if Parks and Rec can continue successfully without adopting some sort of changes especially in regards to the characters. You can only make so many jokes about Andy being a lovable, retarded goof. I do however like what they're doing with April and her whole coming around with Ann/going to school, so there's potential with that. I will say that Arrested Development does seem like a more sustainable show in that regard.

Don't take this as me rescinding my love for Parks and Rec, its still one of my favorites.

That being said, P&R is probably the best network comedy around right now

Community is superior (not including this season). Many of the episodes are very high-concept. I don't think I've ever seen that in a comedy.

^ Honestly I think they're about the same. Community has more ambitious concepts but I think the dialog writing is better on Parks and Rec.