• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Parkinsons disease symptoms

pearlp

Greenlighter
Hi all,
I’m new here. This might be a stupid concern, but I need to share it with you all. What are the symptoms of Parkinson disease? Which all treatment methods can be used to treat this disease? I’m a 54-year-old woman and I wonder whether I have this disease. Recently I happened to read an article ( http://www.c-care.ca/blog/parkinsons/warning-signs-parkinsons-disease/ )on the symptoms of Parkinson's disease. And you won’t believe. I have all the symptoms that they have mentioned there. I’m really scared. Should I need to seek the help of a doctor? It would be kind if you share your experience with this disease. Thank you in advance.

I think the best advice would be to go see a medical practitioner if you believe you are suffering from Parkinson's disease.

The symptoms listed there are a little vague / could be attributed to other things.

Slowness of movement + resting tremor, rigidity, and/or postural instability.

Pearlp, It's best to get treatment as early as possible, because a neurologist can prescribe medications like selegiline that will slow down the progressive loss of brain cells associated with PD. An appropriately treated parkinson's does not necessarily affect life expectancy.

If it's just hypochondria or something psychosomatic, there are treatments for those problems, too.

I have developed left hand shaking..(at Rest) and shaky left foot at read. went to see my doctor and he ruled out the a bunch of not PD. So I am off to see the neurologist. (as soon as i can get an appointment.. middle of November. Do not put it off so see someone now.
bob

Parkinson's, almost always, can be linked to insufficient dopamine levels. This I first noticed when taking a dopamine agonist, then afterwards, by research.
Neurologists are expensive, but can be the best route taken. Look at reviews, make sure they are well like; this is because some will suggest further testings.
Mine was becoming so unbearable, that it came down to that. It is better to have it looked out sooner than later.

I agree your symptoms are too non-specific to really say. The most modern means is a brain scan to look at brain tissue alterations, but even that can be somewhat unreliable in earlier stages. There's also such a thing as pseudo-parkisonism that can be brought on by other reasons, like chemical exposure, drug use/abuse, brain injuries, etc. Even peripheral neuropathy can manifest the symptoms you're talking about.

One time I treated someone who was afraid she was developing Parkinson's because her right arm would tremor upon rest. Turns out her cervical spine was out of alignment. When she got it adjusted the tremor went away. I'm not saying it'd be like that for you, but just giving an example of how random things can contribute to hypochondria.

So yeah... get some diagnostics done.

if you really have parkinsons disease, I'm sorry but I think you're gonna die. I took pharmacology and studied about it. the problem with this disease is that the dopaminergic neurons in the substantia nigra of your brain is dying out quickly and as a result, you will die really quickly unless the problem is resolved. The most prominent symptom is shaky hands, but you get these other symptoms as well. I think the way this is diagnosed is through a brain scan MRI in that they can see your neurons in that area of the brain dying out. What are the treatments? Well, the first theoretical treatment is obvious: Dopamine. If you administer dopamine into your body, it should make up for the deficit of your dying dopaminergic neurons right? Wrong! Because dopamine cannot cross the blood brain barrier. But what can cross the blood brain barrier is L-Dopa, the precursor to dopamine which crosses the blood brain barrier and gets metabolized into dopamine. The problem with this drug is that by itself, very little will actually get into the brain and instead most of it will get into a systemic circulation, so you will have all of the side effects with no therapeutic benefits. You need to ask for sinemet which is a L-Dopa/Carbidopa combo, and this crosses the blood brain barrier effectively doing what it needs to do. The problem with this, is that even this is temporary because eventually all your dopaminergic neurons will die out. And that is the problem with this disease, is that you are gonna die. The treatments for it only delay that, it can't prevent it, or so I heard. I advise you to get a medical consult, but they will probably tell you the same thing

if you really have parkinsons disease, I'm sorry but I think you're gonna die. I took pharmacology and studied about it. the problem with this disease is that the dopaminergic neurons in the substantia nigra of your brain is dying out quickly and as a result, you will die really quickly unless the problem is resolved. The most prominent symptom is shaky hands, but you get these other symptoms as well. I think the way this is diagnosed is through a brain scan MRI in that they can see your neurons in that area of the brain dying out. What are the treatments? Well, the first theoretical treatment is obvious: Dopamine. If you administer dopamine into your body, it should make up for the deficit of your dying dopaminergic neurons right? Wrong! Because dopamine cannot cross the blood brain barrier. But what can cross the blood brain barrier is L-Dopa, the precursor to dopamine which crosses the blood brain barrier and gets metabolized into dopamine. The problem with this drug is that by itself, very little will actually get into the brain and instead most of it will get into a systemic circulation, so you will have all of the side effects with no therapeutic benefits. You need to ask for sinemet which is a L-Dopa/Carbidopa combo, and this crosses the blood brain barrier effectively doing what it needs to do. The problem with this, is that even this is temporary because eventually all your dopaminergic neurons will die out. And that is the problem with this disease, is that you are gonna die. The treatments for it only delay that, it can't prevent it, or so I heard. I advise you to get a medical consult, but they will probably tell you the same thing

We don't have any real evidence that this person really has Parkinson's. Also, people who have it can keep living for decades despite the disease, just look at Michael J Fox. All of us are going to die some day, anyway. Don't make this kind of scaremongering troll posts or you will be infracted.

Telling someone they're going to die is not only unethical, it's not your call. I would never even tell a terminal cancer patient that.