Panic Attack

malakaix

Bluelighter
I just had my first panic attack ever, and i sincerely hope it's the last.

What the hell was that? All of a sudden i feel a bit strange, i can feel tingles running through my body my head becomes light headed and then this unbelievable fear of impending doom. Which was then exacerbated by a tightness in breath and feeling like i couldn't breathe. I felt like i came into contact with my own mortality, all of the uncertainty in my life suddenly compounded into a single moment of genuine fear. I'm not sure what brought it on.. i had just watched Monster's Ball (which admittedly has a scene where they prepare a prisoner for execution and the lead up towards it) and then after the movie i sat down at the computer and out of no where was struck out by this terror. I felt like i was breaking from reality..

A friend of mine died from a stabbing last month, so death has been on my mind.. maybe the movie just tipped my emotions overboard. I'm also going oversea's on my own in two weeks, so maybe the uncertainty of my life also contributed to it.

Is there a real danger from panic attacks? That scared the absolute shit out of me.. and i hope it never happens again.

It is quite scary. I don't think there's any real physical danger in panic attacks but they certainly can take a toll on someone emotionally. It sounds like you've been experiencing a lot of stress lately to say the least. Would you be able to meet with a therapist at all? That might help you sort out your feelings and get to the bottom of this. Also when I'm having a panic attack just concentrating on my breathing helps immensely. It's sometimes hard to remember that in the midst of a panic attack though.

its horrendous , ive felt like I was going to die , have a heart attack or the feeling something terrible is about to happen a catastrophe of some sorts in any second.

I agree with Spork, malakaix--breathing is the immediate answer. If you can simply focus on your breathing and take the longest, slowest breath possible, breathing all the way down in your stomach and then slowly releasing that breath it can get you started. Then try to breath more normally but simply focus on the in and out.

I know that it is scary to experience but worrying about it after will only add to the stress which ends up being a health problem in and of itself. I don't think other than that there are any lasting effects on the body.

I am so sorry about your friend :(

I just had my first panic attack ever, and i sincerely hope it's the last.

What the hell was that? All of a sudden i feel a bit strange, i can feel tingles running through my body my head becomes light headed and then this unbelievable fear of impending doom. Which was then exacerbated by a tightness in breath and feeling like i couldn't breathe. I felt like i came into contact with my own mortality, all of the uncertainty in my life suddenly compounded into a single moment of genuine fear. I'm not sure what brought it on.. i had just watched Monster's Ball (which admittedly has a scene where they prepare a prisoner for execution and the lead up towards it) and then after the movie i sat down at the computer and out of no where was struck out by this terror. I felt like i was breaking from reality..

A friend of mine died from a stabbing last month, so death has been on my mind.. maybe the movie just tipped my emotions overboard. I'm also going oversea's on my own in two weeks, so maybe the uncertainty of my life also contributed to it.

Is there a real danger from panic attacks? That scared the absolute shit out of me.. and i hope it never happens again.

I've never heard of anyone having any serious trouble from panic attacks. Although heavy DXM abuse contributed to give me heart problems, I have to stay on beta blockers otherwise my blood pressure and heart rate stays at stoke level.

One thing that helps me when I'm about to have a panic attack is taking a hot shower. That immediately snaps me out of it.

I take Vistaril for my anxiety. Can't get anything good because I have drug addiction on my medical records.

Thanks herbavore.

Yeah i think it might of been the result of a build-up of stress, it just happened so randomly that it took me by surprise. Im feeling much more calm after a night of sleep, and now that i know what the experience is like i think i'll be better prepared if it ever happens again, hopefully it wont. Meeting with someone has been on my mind, even if to just talk it out.. i wont beable to at the moment because im travelling soon.. but i think if this occurs again it will be something to consider.

One thing that helps me when I'm about to have a panic attack is taking a hot shower. That immediately snaps me out of it.

Ahh good to know, i almost did too.. i'll remember this if it happens again, thanks.

A panic attack is a sudden, intense fear or anxiety that may make you short of breath or dizzy or make your heart pound. Panic attacks can be scary and so bad that they get in the way of your daily activities. It is truly terrifying and can happen without warning or reason.

Last edited:
On a positive note, after experiencing multiple panic attacks, I lost all suicidal thoughts. Panic attacks made me realize how precious life is and how quickly it could be taken away.

Panic attacks can be fun in retrospect. Months, years later of course. They are interesting

I don't think panic attacks have any sort of adverse effect, especially long-term. They do suck, though. I had a few of them years ago and it was not fun.

I know how to overcome panic attacks....

after quitting marijuana for many years , i went back to try it once again and I think i may have smoked too much too fast and all of a sudden I felt my heart rate flip out, the more i noticed it the worse it started to get and then at that point i realized I was just about to have a full blown panic attack....

but then I realized how much i really hate my life and thought it would be the perfect opportunity to die but soon as I accepted the idea of death, the panic attack didn't even have a chance to worsen. So my tip is... if your not too attached to the idea of life just use it to your advantage to overcome panic attacks, it works a treat.

I have Really bad Generalized anxiety disorder. I used to have panic attacks atleast 4 a day for no reason. I got prescribed xanax .5 three times a day and haven't had one since. Xanax is a miracle drug for people with TRUE anxiety.