Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Oxycodone Tolerance, INSANE?

puddle.up

Bluelighter
I know a few people will probably curse me out for starting this thread but I just want some advice from opiate experienced people.

My opiate experience has been limited to a relatively infrequent codeine use (normally around a 500 - 600mg dose), when I say infrequent I mean on average about once, sometimes twice, a month (at most), but generally it's about once every two months.

I recently nabbed 4 20mg Oxycontin pills. After getting advice from a few people (including some of the legends on BL) I decided for my first experience with Oxycodone I would bite 3/4 of a 20mg pill (well as close to 3/4 as I could manage with my teeth) and chew it up thoroughly and swallow it. I did this on a full stomach, and within half an hour I had a very enjoyable buzz, it wasn't overwhelming but it was very nice, very comfortable.
I decided however, that for my second experience I would up the dosage slightly for what would hopefully be a slightly more "intense" high (with a possible nod in there somewhere). So two nights after my first attempt I chewed up a full 20mg pill (thoroughly) and swallowed it, this time on a relatively empty stomach. The "buzz" was much the same as the first one I had with only 15mg, although the high seemed slightly more 'stimulating' (weird I thought? or is that common for Oxy?).

Anyway, finally, the point I'm getting at; three nights after my second attempt, I decided to have one more go at this, hoping for a relatively strong, but obviously not dangerous, opiate high. So I sucked the weird coating off two of the pills (which I was advised to do), I then cut one of the pills in half and then I proceeded to crush 1 and a half tablets into a fine powder (totaling approximately 30mg), I put the fine powder into a rollie paper, folded it up and swallowed it.

About 20 minutes later I felt an extremely mild (barely noticeable) warmth, hardly a buzz at all; and this dull feeling lasted for about 45 minutes and then disappeared!

I have read plenty about Oxycodone (and opiates in general) and I was aware that tolerance builds really quickly, but is it possible that my tolerance to such small doses (20-30mg) built up THAT quickly? With only 3 separate occasions of using Oxy? Or is the pathetic buzz I felt on the 3rd attempt in some way related to the way I ingested the pills? Because it was the weakest buzz I felt (even though it was the highest dose) and it was the only time I crushed and bombed the pills instead of just chewing them up.

I know this may be a simple question and I'll probably be shunned for not doing a more thorough search, but I just wanted a quick direct answer to this, 'cause my little experiment blew me away! I've seen my tolerance to benzo's and amphetamines skyrocket pretty quickly, but not as quick as this!

Fortunately I am virtually out of Oxycodone now, so I plan to stay away from it for a while, at least a few months, then I may consider giving it another go to see if things go differently, but I don't want to put myself in a position where dependence and addiction could rear their ugly heads at me.
Opioids are just one form of drug that I have very little experience with, I have read a shit load about them but never had the chance to try many of them (possibly a blessing in disguise, I tend to have a somewhat addictive personality).

Yes, I think opioid tolerance can rise that quickly if you use on consecutive days. I notice this frequently, on the third day straight of using heroin I notice the effects, and particularly the euphoria, is quite diminished. I also find opioids to be more hit and miss than any other class of drug. Sometimes the stars just seem to align and I'll hit an awesome nod, despite using under seemingly the same conditions as always. Likewise, sometimes I'll do everything right and the high is just lacklustre, for whatever reason.

puddle.up said:
the high seemed slightly more 'stimulating' (weird I thought? or is that common for Oxy?

Yes, that is common for oxy.

cheers for that reply man. what you've said sounds absolutely spot on for what I experienced on those occasions too

Yes tolerance does rise quickly with oxys. I'm assuming you were taking the extended release? They seemed a bit more stimulating to me. From my experience, after that first prescription I couldn't get enough. I had taken them for six years straight without a break. This is where it gets tricky and you gotta be careful.

The scary thing about tolerance is having to take more and more to get the same results. I was a small woman back then, maybe 95 pounds. Taking four to six 30 mg IR tablets daily. One time my dad was having back pain and asked me for a pill. It hit him so hard, he had to leave work and he asked me how I could take these pills? He weighs a little over 300 pounds and I felt terrible because he got sick from it.

Once I had quit pain management for good, I had a friend who needed a ride to her neurologist. She gave me a bit of gas money and a couple tablets. I had been off all opiates for several months. So I took a half 30 mg and did not feel much. So I decided to take the other half and within an hour, I felt really buzzed. Then started vomiting like crazy. I was sick half the night so I would say my tolerance was back to baseline.

When I used, I always got to a point where I would be comfortable regardless of how long I'd been using (this is regarding oxy or heroin). With Oxy it'd be about 120mg 3 times a day. Heroin, not so sure. I just think it depends on the person really.

Yeah I love my Oxys too. Hate that tolerance though. I became addicted to them they very first time I used them really... Never before had I done anything besides weed on consecutive days. With Oxys, I wanted them the very next night, so much so that I spent a paycheck on a box. (Not completely stupid as I don't rely on it for food or rent.)

Anyway that was a few years ago now. I've had a few lengthy breaks of 6 months or more but I am still on them. That tolerance? It can quickly become ridiculous if you can get enough pills. I don't buy them anymore but I do have a script. Whenever I get the script filled, I go straight home, crush up the pills and consume the entire box. (Most for oral use.. around 400mg for snorting.) That's 28 40mg. Really pathetic and wasteful. The funny thing is that I do have a legitimate need for the medication and am left in terrible pain the rest of the fortnight.

The worst part is the fortnight off barely brings my tolerance down anymore. It really only lowers enough for me to get high again. I REALLY look forward to refills and the last month or two has become a constant battle to keep myself from making up some lie about a holiday, work conference or dying relative and getting my script early. Quite often I fail and I'm literally embarrassed by myself.

Everytime I have breaks from it and come back, I notice that my natural tolerance has raised again, by a lot. 3 months ago, after 6 months off, I needed 10 20mg to get high the first time and 14 to bring it up to a level that I liked. (Nodding out and covering myself in drool for around 8 hours lol)

So to sum up my stoned blabberings, the more you disrespect your body and the drugs by dosing high or for more than a couple of days at a time... The worse it gets. You sound smart though dude, I think you already know what you're playing with.

People should just avoid what I did. If you can feel nice and warm from 20mg, don't just double or triple your dose to get any higher. It is a waste of good drugs and another nail in the coffin of tolerance.

Oxycodone is a very euphoric drug but it should always be treated with the upmost respect.

Last edited:
I remember when I first started opiates, 20 mg of oxy had me soo high. It was awesome.

Pretty soon I was doing an 80 mg in a single line and barely getting off. I soon switched to heroin.

Be careful mate. All the best.