• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Oxycodone taking over my life

John2205

Greenlighter
Hello everyone. I've been battling an addiction with Oxycodone. It is literally taking over my life. I have no ambition to do anything at all. I am always tired and irritated. I feel like I need them to survive. Every last cent goes to this horrible drug. I work my ass off and have nothing to show for it. I make semi decent money but it seems like I'm always broke. My rent, car payments, utilities, etc... are always late. I'm afraid that I'm going to get evicted from my apt if this keeps going. My performance at work lacks as well. I'm in serious debt with credit cards because all of my cash goes to oxycodone. I take an average of 60 mg a day during the week and 120 mg on the weekends. I am so afraid of withdrawls and that's why I haven't stopped. I tried once and lasted maybe 6 hours and started to feel horrible. Stomach pains and bad diareah. I know that sounds pathetic 6 hours! Please help me before my life is destroyed.

John,

Only you can help yourself. And you can start by asking if this is what you really want to do.
The willingness to quit is more than half of the work. I'm sober now but I had been in your shoes before.

There's a lot of great fellows in BL and you'll get a lot of support. You can visit other threads, such as TDS, Sober Living, Mental Health, etc, etc.

As strange as it may sound quitting is the easier part, specially if this is your first time. It's horrible I know but within a week you'll be physically okay. Are you aware of that you need to do this? The reason I'm asking is because it's not about decreasing or giving a break it's about saving your life while you still have some control over important things.

You'll need support from your family or friends and probably medical assistance.
I suggest you be honest about this issue. Again, I know this is will unpleasant, but the longer you are connected to this the worst it gets.

Wish you good luck and success! ;)

All the best,
Erik

I'm day three on suboxone after 2 years of oxy addiction. Mate I can eat 300mgs and get not even a tickle let alone the pain relief I'm looking for. I'm scripted 60mgs per day but supplemented it with purchasing 3 boxes of 80mg oxycodone pills per month illicitly. I'm saving $1000 a month by going on suboxone so for me that's the main thing for me.

If you can get Lyrica (pregabalin) or gabapentin it works wonders on WD symptoms. If you stop now you can catch this shit before it REALLY catches you, it's not too bad a ride with your habit if you can get the aforementioned drugs, throw in some benzodiazepines and other comfort meds then you can get off fairly unscathed.

Don't get me wrong, you have a habit that is obviously concerning but I'm telling ya, it just gets worse and worse from where you're at.

I would try tapering down gradually for a painless (physically) WD, if you just can't and have failed to time and again, then just go cold turkey with a bunch of comfort meds. Do this before even considering maintenance such as suboxone. If a 60mg dose still gives a lil buzz then if it was me (knowing what I know now, about how bad it gets) I would just quit. Good luck and take care.

I know the feeling. I was in pretty much the exact same situation and have been for the last 3 years. About 5 days ago, I found this forum and found the strength to stop. I was also afraid of w/d's for the obvious I reasons, but I found out about Imodium AD. It's an anti-diarrhea medicine but it has helped me TREMENDOUSLY the last 5 days to get thru my severe w/d symptoms.

Search for the "Lope Megathread" on here an read through the info. If it wasn't for Lope, I'm sure o would have broken down an used already. It's not a miracle drug, but it can help with the worst of the process but you will still need to be focused and make the right choices in order for it to be beneficial.

I know the hopeless feeling, you can do it!! Set your mind to it and don't look back

Have you thought about getting medically detoxed and checking into a treatment facility?

ME too man, w/ heroin. GO see a doc.

But also, it is helpful to switch the opiate you use, using another opiate as a substitute cuts down on tolerance and the negative effects of dependence. I feel a lot better when I substitute for another opiate - for just one-day - and the more often the merrier. Right now I combine kratom and tianeptine to legally use alternative opiates in between my drug of addiction.

I really appreciate everyone's responses. It shows that there are people just like me out there as well. I was going to try "tapering" at first. Then try to stop completely. Obviously if this doesn't work I'm going to try other options. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I should taper down? Half the doses each day? I've read alot online how Immodium will be my best friend and much needed. I also was reading about Calm Support mixed with max doses of Vitamin C. I really would like to try this on my own first. I owe it to my self since I did this to my self. I can't believe that I was so stupid and got my self into this mess. It's like I'm living a nightmare.

LISTEN MAN: You MUST taper, and half the dose each day is essentially cold turkey!!! DO NOT taper this rapidly, The MOST you can handle without effecting your life may be 10% per day. IDEALLY, I would want to do 10% per weak for a painless taper. DEFINITELY have a large bottle of lopermide for RLS and stool softeners as well, the last thing you need is megacolon.

I would keep some good kratom as well in case I HAD to be somewhere, because it will restore your mood as it temporarily mitigates opiate-withdrawal sydrome.

Supplements like Calm support - probably not noticeable.

Kratom and Lopermide are much more specific in attenuating opiate-withdrawal syndrome than any supplement will be. because they fill the empty opiate receptors causing you pain.

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time John, addiction is a bitch for sure.. Your best bet would be to detox and maybe go to rehab unless you don't think rehab would help, it's not for everyone but it's worth a shot and you seem like you really want to quit. Some people don't have the time to go away to rehab because of work and other responsibilities which is understandable. Another option is to go to a suboxone clinic since opioid replacement therapy would be more convenient if you can't take time off work to detox cold turkey. If you go to a suboxone clinic you shouldn't need more than 8mg to keep you well and I'm not a doctor so can't say that with certainty but taking more than that would make it harder to taper down. Also try NA meetings for support, it really helps a lot of people and they're much more friendly and less judgmental than people who go to AA in my experience. And of course you've always got us bluelighters :)

If you have sick days for work and can afford to miss about a week you can just detox at home with some comfort meds like gabapentin, immodium, ibuprofen and a few benzos like valium would help you with the insomnia and anxiety. But be careful with the benzos because they are addictive as fuck! It's usually better to detox at home anyway because it doesn't cost a fortune and it's just more comfortable than being around a bunch of grouch ass strangers who are also detoxing.

The hardest part is resisting the temptation to use of course but if you really want to quit you can do it! Good luck :)

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely go down about Probably a dumb question but what is Kratom? Is it something that I can buy OTC? I'm also just scared of going through all of this at work. Unfortunately I cannot take any time off for at least a month or so.

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time John, addiction is a bitch for sure.. Your best bet would be to detox and maybe go to rehab unless you don't think rehab would help, it's not for everyone but it's worth a shot and you seem like you really want to quit. Some people don't have the time to go away to rehab because of work and other responsibilities which is understandable. Another option is to go to a suboxone clinic since opioid replacement therapy would be more convenient if you can't take time off work to detox cold turkey. If you go to a suboxone clinic you shouldn't need more than 8mg to keep you well and I'm not a doctor so can't say that with certainty but taking more than that would make it harder to taper down. Also try NA meetings for support, it really helps a lot of people and they're much more friendly and less judgmental than people who go to AA in my experience. And of course you've always got us bluelighters :)

If you have sick days for work and can afford to miss about a week you can just detox at home with some comfort meds like gabapentin, immodium, ibuprofen and a few benzos like valium would help you with the insomnia and anxiety. But be careful with the benzos because they are addictive as fuck! It's usually better to detox at home anyway because it doesn't cost a fortune and it's just more comfortable than being around a bunch of grouch ass strangers who are also detoxing.

The hardest part is resisting the temptation to use of course but if you really want to quit you can do it! Good luck :)

Thank you. I would love to try it at home detox first to see how I can do. I have so much going on right now and cannot take time off of work. But I know that I have to realize that this is my life and it's most important that I stop this horrible drug. It's definitely going to be easier with all of the support I'm receiving from everyone.

Yes, Kratom is legal and OTC, and if you HAVE to be somewhere, like work or around family, It will mitigate the mental and physical symptoms of withdrawal.

Thank you. I would love to try it at home detox first to see how I can do. I have so much going on right now and cannot take time off of work. But I know that I have to realize that this is my life and it's most important that I stop this horrible drug. It's definitely going to be easier with all of the support I'm receiving from everyone.

Glad to help man, you have a great attitude about it which is very important. You have to believe in yourself and its hard at times but you will feel much better once you're clean for a few months. Just gotta keep your eyes on the prize. Have you checked out the sober living forum? There's plenty of support there as well.

Looks like you're pretty new here, welcome to Bluelight :)

I am in your exact situation with alcohol so I empathize. My mother offered to send me back to rehab. I think I'm going to take her up on it.

An opiate addict tapering his self is about as realistic as my football team making the playoffs(I'm a Bills fan). It's to easy to tell yourself well I've been really good lately I can celebrate by taking a couple extra tonight and continue my taper tomorrow. the lies we tell ourselves. I found at relatively small habits lopermide and a benzo(I actually use soma instead) help manage symptoms and there isn't a risk to bump up your meds(at least in my case) because the drugs I used didn't give me euphoria! I was on oxys for 5 years(before that heroin and then methadone) and my last dose was 8 days ago and aside from lethargy I'm good!

Oh and a side note: I have half a bottle of oxys locked in my wifes safe now and could have asked for them at anytime so the wds weren't that bad(mind you I was taking lope and somas). I think a lot of the physical is a manifestation that our mental attitude builds up, it's psychosomatic to a great extent(not all of it of course)!

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips and advice. Off topic but I'm a Bills fan too! I Billieve in them so I hope I can pass some of that my way. Much thanks.

NAMNOC: It is very possible for an addict to taper himself. However, it takes a strong person. If you could workout on a daily basis, you can drop your dose ~10% on a daily basis. Either way, it takes a significant effort. This guy seems ready

Kratom is available for sale online, it is a plant in the coffee family, and attaches to the opiate receptors in the brain....I make it into a tea

el3ek6.png

And some tea I made tonight....
5fm0wk.jpg

Last edited:
NAMNOC: It is very possible for an addict to taper himself. However, it takes a strong person. If you could workout on a daily basis, you can drop your dose ~10% on a daily basis. Either way, it takes a significant effort. This guy seems ready
I'm not saying it's not possible but IME with myself and friends more time then not it doesn't appear work.