• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Oxycodone - sore and puffy eyes

stevehoot

Greenlighter
Anyone else get puffyness around their eyes when taking a high dose (over 100mg), also makes the eyes a bit sore?
After a good few hours and in the morning there's a small amount of seeping from the corner of the eyes, almost like you can sometimes get when waking up in the morning, but it's constant.

Seems most prevalent after the second dose. E.g take 120mg and eyes are fine, but 4 - 8 hours later you take the same again and within a couple of hours it's like a liquid is building up around the tissue under your eye that seeps out of the corners and can make your eyes a little sore.

Antihistamines and NSAID's don't seem to help. Anyone got any info?

First question, is the oxycodone you are taking from the street? Are you taking any other drugs or have any other conditions? This "puffyness" that you refer to, would you consider it swelling? Do you experience any other side effects?

Best wishes

I already moved on after I read this earlier but came back just to chime in with my conjecture that this could be due to histaminergic activity caused by the oxycodone.

Opioids and Opiates are, as you might know, well known to induce histamine release (that's, in fact, by direct activation of human mast cells).

Afaik from personal experience (which corresponds with the hearsay), opioids like oxycodone (or hydromorphone) are way less prone to cause strong if any peculiar histaminergic action, especially in comparison to opiates, morphine and/or codeine.

I've had such symptoms, namely pruritus, for example, especially during my first time on/with Opiates/Opioids, predominantly with Kratom and O-desmethyltramadol.

This could be reduced and/or eradicated by taking antihistamines. I've tried many of them (1st-gen-ones included), and had the best results with the second generation class of antihistamine medication (that's cetirizine, loratadine and/or desloratadine).

Dunno if it's cuz of sum kinda downregulation and/or an just as conceivable modulation of the histaminergic (system) receptors, but nowadays (~10 years later) I've absolutely zero of these issues, hence needing no meds anymore!

Anyone else get puffyness around their eyes when taking a high dose (over 100mg), also makes the eyes a bit sore?
After a good few hours and in the morning there's a small amount of seeping from the corner of the eyes, almost like you can sometimes get when waking up in the morning, but it's constant.

Seems most prevalent after the second dose. E.g take 120mg and eyes are fine, but 4 - 8 hours later you take the same again and within a couple of hours it's like a liquid is building up around the tissue under your eye that seeps out of the corners and can make your eyes a little sore.

Antihistamines and NSAID's don't seem to help. Anyone got any info?
are you sure you are not allergic to the chemicals you are taking?

Opioids often dry up membranes and ducts responsible for lubrication, resulting in dry eyes and/or dry nasal passages. They also can cause edema, which might explain the puffiness, or more likely the initial discomfort which led to rubbing which exacerbated the problem. Conversely, when a dependent user stops using opioids, two of the most common expected symptoms are watery eyes and a nose which runs like Usain Bolt.

Perhaps an eye drop formulation containing either an antihistamine like pheniramine maleate, or lubricants like propylene or polyethylene glycol, or an analgesic, maybe an ophthalmic NSAID- I think ketorolac (Toradol) comes in eye drop form? Or maybe plain old naphazoline/ Clear Eyes might help?