Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

oxycodone authority scripts

lioney

Greenlighter
Hi, I am new to bluelight but not to meds....I take them for migraine, just had a question about authority scripts for oxycodone and medicare, switching drs etc...am I in the correct area? I changed drs abut 2 weeks ago to go to someone that bulk bills. The first gp prescribed me an authorityscript for oxycodone 5mg, 120 capsules..1 months supply. That was back on April 1-14 (so nearly 2 months ago).

I haven't had another authority from that gp and don't go there anymore. The new dr has been happy to prescribe me single scripts for my med of 5mg oxy and was talking about an authority script in next cpl of weeks. I was just wondering if the new gp will be told by medicare I was once given an authority 2 months ago or not, is this why drs have to call monthly as the authority doesn't stay valid and it's a new "script each time", I hoe I'm making sense. I did't discuss details of where I'd come from dr wise with him, just that I was changing because they bulk bill and I was new to the area.
Cheers...

i'm not trying to get anything past them, I haven't done anything wrong. But I was just wondering what the terms are with authority scripts and a new dr writing one 2 mths later?

It's ok....thanks for that, was just wondering as I've changed GP's to someone closer. That's all.

I'm surprised they're prescribing oxy for migraines. Its very unusual for that to occur.

I guess it's better than regular morphine shots which I used to get....I have chronic migraine, tension headaches so its very painful. I also had a stroke a few yrs ago and can't rely on manipulations from chriros anymore as thats what caused it, I used to get such relief from going there.

^ sounds nasty. Chronic migraines are a brutal condition.
I hope you get the pain relief you need with a minimum of fuss.

@spacejunk thanks, it is nasty esp when ur head feels like its exploding the oxy is what actually helps me as well as mersyndol forte tablets...along with topomax.

Lioney.......All medical insurance is changing yeah every insurance will map your last move as well as to ensure your safety they will normally have in place a 30 day waiting period.

I guess it's better than regular morphine shots which I used to get....I have chronic migraine, tension headaches so its very painful. I also had a stroke a few yrs ago and can't rely on manipulations from chriros anymore as thats what caused it, I used to get such relief from going there.

wow, you've been through a lot - sorry to hear mate. I'm interested to understand how the link was made between a stroke and chiro manipulations?

I used to get neck treatments for my headaches, gave me instant relief, I thought it was a godsend. When I went this one time after a week of non stop headaches, I had my neck cracked as usual and as it was cracked (or manipulated, however you want to call it)I instantly lost all my right side, couldn't speak, dizzy, couldn't walk, speech slurred etc, vomiting.

They thought they'd tore/twisted the vasa vagal (sp) nerve but when I didn't recover within 5-10 mins they called ambulance, MRI detected a tear in the Right vertebral (also called a vertebral dissection) artery in my neck. Caused by the neck manip, it's very rare but it can happen.

geez man that's horrific - glad you made a good recovery

btw, sounds a solid malpractice suit?

yep I wish it was, I LOOKED INTO THAT! they defined it under insurance as a type of stroke not covered by them and a lawyer said it was over 5 yrs since it happened, I did try earlier but was originally told, no they can't help me! I was a bit distressed about it to say the least.

^not as uncommon as you'd think, I personally know one guy who nearly died and now has partial paralysis from an embolism incurred during chiro treatment.
If I've learned anything from steven segal movies it's that quickly twisting the neck kills people. I'd rather gamble on taking meds the rest of my life than risk a botched surgery or neck snap.

well I agree with you but was seeking relief and sometimes pills just don't cut it... and it was an osteopath, but similar. I do rely heavily on meds now and thats all I can do.

Hi, I am new to bluelight but not to meds....I take them for migraine, just had a question about authority scripts for oxycodone and medicare, switching drs etc...am I in the correct area? I changed drs abut 2 weeks ago to go to someone that bulk bills. The first gp prescribed me an authorityscript for oxycodone 5mg, 120 capsules..1 months supply. That was back on April 1-14 (so nearly 2 months ago).

I haven't had another authority from that gp and don't go there anymore. The new dr has been happy to prescribe me single scripts for my med of 5mg oxy and was talking about an authority script in next cpl of weeks. I was just wondering if the new gp will be told by medicare I was once given an authority 2 months ago or not, is this why drs have to call monthly as the authority doesn't stay valid and it's a new "script each time", I hoe I'm making sense. I did't discuss details of where I'd come from dr wise with him, just that I was changing because they bulk bill and I was new to the area.
Cheers...
As for your original question, it should be fine from medicare's point of view. When they call for the authority script, the person on the other end of the phone (to the best of my knowledge) can't see the non authority scripts you've got, and so as long as it's not being prescribed during the period covered by the previous authority prescription you should be right. I've got an authority script for endone from 1 gp a week after an authority script for oxycontin and the person on the phone didn't mention it the other script to the GP.

Worst case is they will mention the script to your doctor, but if everything's above board that won't matter.

For about a year now I've had about 10 different GP's prescribing different preparations of oxy including authority scripts and other than being put on the PSIS list there hasn't been problems... It's up to the docs to do what they want, and if that includes writing authority scripts (even while covered by an authority script for the same preparation by another doctor) that's up to him.

So to sum up if I made it unclear, it's fine for him to write you an authority script, worst thing that will happen is the person on the over end of the phone will just mention the previous script to the GP and if that isn't a problem, there's no reason he won't script you. However, it's unlikely that they will say anything.

Thanks PaitentX

i did PM you as well...not sure if you have seen that yet, or how often you might check the site but again thanks for all your very informative info. it was very clear what you wrote
Cheers

Lioney

I had my neck cracked as usual and as it was cracked (or manipulated, however you want to call it)I instantly lost all my right side, couldn't speak, dizzy, couldn't walk, speech slurred etc, vomiting.

They thought they'd tore/twisted the vasa vagal (sp) nerve but when I didn't recover within 5-10 mins they called ambulance, MRI detected a tear in the Right vertebral (also called a vertebral dissection) artery in my neck. Caused by the neck manip, it's very rare but it can happen.

A close friend of mine said you should never get this region manipulated - never! Be happy that you're still alive, i heard of a Girl that died soon afterwards, because of blood leaking/flowing into the brain. I have two herniated vertebral discs in two main regions of the spine, bad enough but as lucky as i am :\ not in the region of the Neck! I remember times were i constantly visited my doc to get some of those 'quick fixes' (manipulations) troughout my spine, and even though it's being made as gentle as possible i nowadays do this as rarely as possible, if at all! The only thing that can help in the long run is strengthen the muscles, all of them from the legs to the neck, and make those damn 'quick fixes' preferably rare occasions, since they make things even worse with time!

Last edited:
yep, thanks @THCified.....I know that I can never do it again and I would not get a manipulation again-ever. it was one f those things that used to give me relief rather than relying on meds, you get desperate when your head keeps hurting! My neurologist has told me this but I'm too scared to let anyone touch me around the neck and back at all, so I rely on meds now for the migraines/headaches. I realise I could've died, grateful I didn't and this was a very real threat to me when it happened. it was one of the most scariest times in my life! I am sorry you have 2 vertebral herniated discs, it must be so painful for you. What do you do for the pain now?

You're welcome! I'm getting Gabapentin and Oxycodone prescribed.