• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Overdose question

Status
Not open for further replies.

PieceByPiece

Bluelighter
So this a weird question, but if you've been prescribed the maximum therapeutic dose of Morphine and you take more than this to get high, are you technically 'overdosing'?

Basically what I mean is, with any drug, if you're getting high, that means you are overdosing each time you have a fix, even if you don't end up in hospital, right?

So I'm prescribed 10mg instant release morphine, today I took 70mg in one go even though that's to get high, it's still classed as an opioid OD isn't it? Or is it ONLY classed as an OD if you end up in hospital?

I always think of overdosing as just overdoing it to the point of bein uncomfortable or unsafe..u could over do it a little, or a lot..and then there's a fatal overdose..safety is a concern depending on how much u overdid it/overdose

overdosing can be relative to tolerance also

Last edited:
In a sense any dose higher than the maximum prescribed/recommended one is an OD.
Then again it's possible to OD (as in getting uncomfortable or unsafe like the previous poster said) and I'd say they are two different types of OD's.

I don't know if there is a technical definition of an overdose based on dosage, it has more to do with the symptoms. I remember once after taking oxy I had nausea/vomiting for 12 hours and that was the same tried-and-true dose I've been taking for years. Never did figure out what caused that. But I'd say going from 10 to 70 mg is a really big jump, there's plenty of people who would have a genuine "overdose" to that.

Last edited:
If you have a tolerance, what will be an overdose to a normal person that's not used to it and what will kill one person can probably not even give a frequent heavy user a buzz.

The effects are what counts and not the dose, as was mentioned above.

I guess my definition of an OD, since we are all different, is when you start feeling bad and start showing signs of sickness, and that your body is rejecting it, or the effects become strong enough to lose consciousness, or you feel your heart is working much too hard.

If you are going to be willing to abuse drugs, then you need to be willing to get help when needed and not be embarrassed about what you did. And having a wife that works in the OR and sees many ER patients, I promise you won't show hospital employees something they haven't seen before and likely seen much worse and much more embarrassing things. You wouldn't believe the stories I hear that make an OD seem boring in comparison.

If you think you need help get it! Not worth dying because you're worried what someone might think. Not that this is necessarily the case here.

Last edited:
I took 45 mg of morphine today and am worried of respiratory depression when I go to sleep, is that something I should be worried about? I takes Vic and oxy relatively often. Just worried.

I took 45 mg of morphine today and am worried of respiratory depression when I go to sleep, is that something I should be worried about? I takes Vic and oxy relatively often. Just worried.
If you are worried about overdoing, have somebody sit with you and monitor your breathing. If this is not possible, get medical attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.