Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Outdoor Doof Monitors/Speakers

AFA

Bluelighter
Hi I am looking at purchasing some large expensive outdoor monitors.

I am curious if anyone here could give their opinions/exp.

Kinectic dreaming 2012 and earthdance 2012 both had the same/similar speaker setup at the main stages, big systems which almost deflate your lungs the bass is so gurd.

Any info like brands, models etc will be greatly appricated.

Thanks <3

PLUR

If you have the money, funktion one. By far the best sound system I have ever heard.

yeah i dont know much about it really, I recall meyer, turbo sound and martin audio from raves/doofs and night clubs, not sure if they are affordable on a personal level tho. Damn I wish I had some of those turbo speakers I used to hear at alot of the early raves and doofs, altho my neighbours (and everyone in the whole area) would hate it, and me lol

Yeah funktion one is my fav too, aparaently some fellas make their own custom speakers.

Can ya get away with just monitors or do you need a sub too?

Alright, let me lay out a tiny bit about speakers.
First off there is speaker throw, this is how the speaker sends sound.
Some are wide and short, whilst others are narrow and long.
Next up, lets talk about speakers. Sound is vibration.
The lower the frequency the less oscillations.
Subs are big speakers that do lots of big, slow movements.
Some monitors have 2 speakers for mids and a tweeter.
The tweeter does HF sounds, so it does lots of small quick movements.
You need a sub to have LF, monitors on their own do not cut it.

Now, we have a thing called a crossover. This takes your signal, and breaks it up into a few smaller signals. It will send your low frequencies to the subs, the low mids and high mids to the monitor mid speakers, and the HF to the tweeter.
Some people have a 3 way system, others have 2. There are many other variations, but these are the most common.

Another thing about sound is that doubling the amount of speakers only gives you a 3db increase.
For example, if you have 1 speaker that pumps out 90db, adding another will make the total output 93db.
Now with these 2, you need 2 more speakers to reach 96db.
With these 4 speakers, you need 8 speakers total to reach 99db.
With those 8 speakers, you need 16 speakers to reach 102db, and so on.

10db increase is twice as loud.

You want an amp that is roughly twice as powerful as your speaker rating.
Never clip an amp that is rated lower than your speakers, or you will blow them up.

The impedance of things depends on how you wire things up.

If you're only doing DJing/CD's and not live bands, a mixing console isn't necessary.
You do need a graphic tuner so you can tune your PA to the environment, and ears that know how a PA should sound e.g. a sound engineer.
All up, you're better off hiring like the other events do..

Fckn awesome post mate.

Thanks for that info really helpful, just looking at getting a small setup between a few friends.