Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Origin of the word "rolling"

hardjunglist

Bluelighter
Found this in article written in 1999.

DEA reporting indicates widespread abuse within virtually every major U.S. city with indications oftrafficking and abuse expanding to smaller cities such as Oklahoma City, Oklahoma; Beaumont, Texas;Nashville and Memphis, Tennessee; Savannah and Florence, Georgia; Fayetteville, Arkansas; andMontgomery, Alabama. Furthermore, some abusers, primarily in the Miami and Orlando areas, arecombining MDMA with heroin, a combination known as “rolling.” If such trends continue, MDMA maybecome a “gateway” drug, similar to marijuana, leading to the consumption of a variety of drugs.

Heroin and MDMA eh, so how many aussies are truely rolling?

I still like the word, so ill stick with it, even if im not a true junkie. Ah well.

Just thought i'd comment on the gateway drug part. I cannot believe people are stupid enough to label marijuana as a "gateway drug". Its just fuckn common sense that a person who is willing to try marijuana will be more likely to try other drugs , why the fuck would some one drop and e or shoot up some h if they arent prepared to try a drug that is very tame in comparrison to problems associated. I never hear alcohol being labelled a gateway drug even though im sure most people try alcohol before anything else , just another slave of society lashing out at something because they cannot or dont have the balls to enjoy it themselves.

EDIT**

To stay ontopic it also could be that alot of peoples eyes just keep rolling to the back of their heads like myfriends and I ahha.8( 8( 8( 8(

Last edited:
*keeep rollin rollin rollin rollin*

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that the term "rolling" has probably been around from before 1999. Maybe not in here in Australia, but in the US anyway. When I started partying in 2001, most of my raver friends were from the states and had been partying for at least a few years; all of them used the word like it was natural and had been around for a while.

I always just assumed that it was that... biiiiig huge yummy breathing/rolling/riding a wave sensation that you get off MDMA that coined the term. I dunno, but I like the word, i think it fits perfectly! :D

it's really just that marijuana dealers, may also deal in other drugs and so offer them to a dope smoker. THAT is the gateway.

i can see this thread getting into a bit of an argument on what a true 'gateway' drug is. But i'll tell you now, it's tobacco & Alcohol that move you onto illicit drugs... well for the majority.
I actually smoked weed before i had alcohol, but that's only because my mate in year 9 was a pot head of mass proportions...

back on topic... Rolling is definately an americanism, but it is a nice little word to describe it... I guess i would relate it to the fact that you just kinda roll your way through the night from one thing to the next.. always doing 'something'....

Not disagreeing or agreeing but I am interested in your comment PP: -

it's tobacco & Alcohol that move you onto illicit drugs... well for the majority.

Considering the % of the population that use tobacco & alcohol compared to the % that use illicit recreational drugs how do you arrive at your conclusion?

(I personally consider tobacco & alcohol as far more damaging than so called illicit recreational drugs)

planet dweller said:
Not disagreeing or agreeing but I am interested in your comment PP: -

Considering the % of the population that use tobacco & alcohol compared to the % that use illicit recreational drugs how do you arrive at your conclusion?

(I personally consider tobacco & alcohol as far more damaging than so called illicit recreational drugs)

Sorry but i interpreted this as saying that there are far more people doing tabacco and alcohol so they are not linked to leading people on to harder drugs. If so its quite simple , not all people who try tabacco and alcohol will try illicit drugs , but basically everyone that tries illicit drugs tries tabacco and alcohol first.

please edit your post also planet dweller to include something on topic , that way we can still have both of these discussions present , if admins think that this topic is becomming too offtopic then private message me and i will make a new thread with the title.

I liken a real or "traditional" (ie oral) MDMA experience to a rolling object, for instance a ball. After initial onset it slowly gathers momentum, reaches its peak velocity, or in the case of MDMA, intensity, before slowing down and plateauing out. This analogy gave rise to the term "rolling balls".

USAGE: "Phwoar, your really rolling balls there champ..."

IMHO a good MDMA experience is a smooth one, and hence a roll. Of course this may vary from person to person depending on methods of administration, tolerance, and substance quality.

I agree Urbanhog. What the fuck, "Lets roll man"?!
I remember I got slagged for saying "cracking" when thats what everyones saying down my way. Oh well maybe its because we cant actually get on to crack where I'm from??

I recon 'rolling' is the stupidest drug slang term I have ever heard. [1]

For me 'peaking' describes it much better...it's the peak of the effects of the drug you're on, and every sense is enhanced to it's peak so to speak.

I guess it depends what you're used to but I'd rather say 'I am peaking too hard to get up, sorry.' than 'I am rolling balls here yo!'

[1] Aside from slang terms that nobody but the media actually uses, like 'hillbilly heroin'.

Yeah, rolling is crap (Never thought I'd say that ;)). Way too american. How about "off chops"? Love that one, is that aussie?

off chops is my fave :)

I had never even heard the term "rolling" until I joined BL :\

I use "rolling" but most of my friends say "pilling" which IMO doesn't sound cool at all.

My friends tend to use trashed when describing someone who is clearly in the moment.

And for that rare huge moment, maggoted. 8o 8o

munged.
Or my favourite to describe the uncordinated dancing when the peak begins to peter out.... Gumbified =D as in gumby, that green guy...

rolling best describes me when im really munted, tho i dont use the word personally.

me when mashed => 8(

hehhehe =D

They probably think extasy is the gateway to heroin because they read in the paper people put smack in pills.

Oh and rolling is one of those stupid american things, let them keep it. :D