• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Oprah Winfrey - Ecstacy Special

Good point Acell, We are all arguing about how the information provided is not entirely correct. But it may just help someone not in the scene to avoid experimenting.
Also Jonah.. Another good point. I'm pretty sure MDMA was used in the mid-80's by psychologists as part of their therapy. They would use it during their sessions i guess to help promote more open discussion. As always after its 'other' effects were realised, it become prohibited.

The Oprah Ecstasy special was carefully constructed to appeal to people's emotions, those SPECT scans (which as pointed out by the article JB posted are inconclusive and can't be used to show brain damage) were shown in order to scare people... They spoke to people in a way which would make people feel sad, or angry, or scared...
The show did present some information, but it was only a small amount, and much of it was incomplete and as such is as bad as no information at all...
My Mum taped the show for me and wanted me to watch it, scared that I'd end up like Lynn... This was even after many conversations about ecstasy and my drug use, and after my appearance on 'Beneath the Mirrorball'. It pisses me off that shows like the Oprah Special can be considered as accurate representations when they are nothing more than (as SupaspeeD said) another arm of the war of drugs... That might not be the show's intent, but that's the end result... The 4corners show presented an unbiased view, the Oprah show didn't.
Its true that it may scare some people into not taking ecstasy who may have otherwise done themselves some damage, but it may also scare some people who would have got a lot out of it, people who may have had their lives considerably improved by it, people who may have used the experiences gained from mdma to mould themselves into better people...
I can accept that mdma use does some damage, but I can't accept sensationalist bullshit such as ecstasy use leading to holes in my brain...
Information should be presented as such, pure hard facts. When biased by an agenda of attempting to conform others to the presenters view, it is no longer information which is being presented, but opinions masked as information...
People should be able to make their own decisions after being given as much information as is available, and knowing full well when such information is incomplete. They should not be pushed around by those presenting the information to them...

The fact is NO one is out to mislead us. The point of showing these specials is to educate the masses. Not sensationalise. The Oprah winfrey show is not exactly 'Sixty Minutes' but it isnt Ricky Lake either
HAH! You've obviously never studied media authorship.. FACT: ALL media is about sensationalism, otherwise, we (you, they) wouldn't buy it.
These specials are not out to educate the masses. They're out to reassure the masses that their life choices are the right ones, the sensible ones, the ones that fall inline with acceptable social behaviour.
If these specials were out to inform the masses, they would have given more time to the EZ testing kits available, instead, when these were mentioned Oprah said "oh there are testing kits?" to which all the members of the "professional" panel practically guffawed at the mere notion of a testing kit. The subject was then passed over without a second thought.
If this were about education, if the media were really out to flex their information muscles they would have explained what a marquee reagent tester was and how it works.
Of course, I agree .. seems kind of redundant saying so now, but drugs are bad mmkay? What education is about is BALANCE, presenting two sides of a story and letting the indivual decide, it's not about indoctrination and preachy doo gooders like Oprah setting the rules for what's deemed socially acceptable in our world and what's not.
Saying all this, I agree that there is a place for 'these specials'. Lucky for us (those who are smart enough and able to further investigate things heard on the show) we get to learn something new.. but not because of what Oprah said - but because thankfully there are people in the world who know how SPECT scans work!
So sure, the pictures may have scared that 14 year old kid from trying E for the first time.. but to me, misinformation to ANYONE is a crime within itself.
And for the media, who occupy such a trusted place of authority within our society (yes, some people actually DO think everything you read/see/hear is true) this kind of misinformation is just plain irresponsible.
They told us those black spots represented holes. THEY DO NOT! I'm sorry, but this is wrong. This shouldn't be happening. We should all feel insulted that the media believe that they can (and they did!) get away with this!
But of course, majority does what majority wants.. whoever said living in a democracy works?
I'd like to see a scan of an alcoholics liver, and then I'd like to see it compared with an x-ray of his wife's fractured skull from when he beat her... or maybe I'd like to see what the insides of Oprah's bowels look like after all that fad dieting, then I could line that right up next to passport sized photographs of every single obese person in the US and stack bags of oranges that represent their total fat mass next to it..how 'bout that eh?? THAT sounds healthy!
So we all make unhealthy choices... at least I know I'm PROPERLY infomred in making mine *nod*

I for one dont need any experiments or scientists making conclusions from studies that MDMA is damaging. Hell, I AM the guinee pig and I can come to conclusions that my brain has been severely fucked and will be so for god knows how long (sorry for being so blunt). And I dread what my brain will be like in 20 years time. I wonder if anyone here, after 2 years (more or less) use can confidently say 'my brain is OK'. Think about it
All i can say Pringles is stop taking it then.
If you are naive enough to believe that drivel that was served up on Oprah as evidence of brain damage, then i fear what you said about your brain being fucked up may be true.
The War On Drugs(people) being waged in America is a campaign based on fear not on information and programs like Oprah are just preying on this fear and sensationalising it for the sake of ratings.
If this fear motivates you to give up E then fine just stop taking it and be happy, but please let others decide for themselves and spare the lecture. Fact: Alcohol and cigarettes are proven health hazards but people still consume them in vast quantities knowing the risks. If one day it is proven that ecstasy causes brain damage(like alcohol does) then people will make the same choices about ecstasy that they have made about alcohol and cigarettes.
Presenting an argument based on facts is fine as a discussion point but an argument based on disinformation and fear does nothing to help people make an informed decision.
Live and let live (unfortunately an idea not embraced by todays society, where desire for control over other people seems to be the norm)
Ananda

yah, I believe that MDMA and all drugs bring some yin along with the yang. It's up to you to decide if the yin outweighs the yang (ofcourse it does!).
Although no study done this far has been unbiased, conclusive or exhausting, I think that MDMA will cause memory and emotional problems in later life. Just think what your concentration/memory is like when you're on it? Everyone has had their "OMG I'm e-tarded" moments.
But I'm having the best time of my life and I wouldn't change that for anything. I know it sounds cheesey but I think MDMA changes people for the better. For me the yin wins!
[ 19 March 2002: Message edited by: chupa chopped ]

OK. I restate my position without OPRAH. I am aware I chose the wrong medium and evidence to put my argument across.
Drugs are bad. They are harmful. Use with care.